Road Rash...how do you treat it?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by 2wxplorr, May 26, 2019.

1. 2wxplorr

2wxplorr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coming home last night, turning onto a side road at a very reasonable speed, hit some gravel on the pavement and my rear tire went out from under me. Crash bars on the 1090 did their job, as did the carbon fiber exhaust guards. Broke the brake pedal and got some pretty decent road Rash on my knee...damn should have been wearing riding jeans and I likely would have been just a bit bruised.

Anyway, I've got a 4 night ride coming up in two weeks and want to do everything possible to get my knee as ready as possible. I've been icing, elevating, did a fairly good cleaning with hydrogen peroxide (hear mixed input on this) & keeping it bandaged. What have you all found to help with the healing process?
  2. lowbrow

lowbrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How big and deep? My nurse wife says to only use hydrogen peroxide on the first cleaning only. Something about washing something vital out of the wound after that. I trust her because she's smarter then me! She swears by Neosporin. The scab can grow into some gauze and be pulled off when you change the dressing. Tight weave gauze would be best. Last time I had it I don't think I covered it with a dressing but it was on my elbow. My wife didn't call me an idiot so I guess it was ok. Good luck!
  3. 2wxplorr

Oddometer:
    Haha well having a nurse as a wife sounds pretty handy! It's about fist size and fairly shallow except for a few small deeper spots.
  4. lowbrow

lowbrow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep...she's taken me to the hospital lots. I'm not very good at my hobbies! Road rash takes forever to heal and it'll spilt open if it's on a joint which prolongs it. At least it's not deep all over.
    2wxplorr likes this.
  5. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use a non-stick gauze to cover the wound. Apply medical tape when to hold the gauze along the edges and only when the joint is fully bent.
    For at least the first week, I recommend using Neosporin, Bacitracin, etc. on the wound. Mostly to keep it moist all the time as it starts to heal. Also keeping the wound soft helps any sand or gravel trying to make an escape. Change bandage daily or anytime it gets wet.

If the wound needs to be cleaned, first water, then apply some povidone iodine solution to the wounds. Let it dry then re-bandage.

After about a week, you can usually just do a dry, non-stick gauze and tape.

If at anytime red streaks begin to appear, spreading from any of the wounds, get medical assistance immediately. I little bit of pus is not unusual. If it doesn't cease or it increases a lot, get medical assistance.
    Rakthi, NickSoOr and 2wxplorr like this.
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last time I was at the ER for something stupid they told me the latest advice is that peroxide and alcohol can cause necrosis of tissue that is still viable in the wound. They recommend scrubbing with antibacterial soap (I go at it with a toothbrush if I can stand it) and then dry as much as possible, and they are back to recommending iodine. And cover with nonstick gauze. I agree with the neosporin for the first couple days, then start tol et it air out and dry a couple hours a day if that’s possible. If it dries out enough to scab over you are pretty much good to go.

Ha, psycho man typed that out just as I was. So yeah. Sage advice.
    Kyle K and 2wxplorr like this.
  7. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    I've been a Boy Scout leader for 15 years. I do First Aid almost daily.

Have also had personal experience with large road rash. One kept expelling bits of gravel for a couple of years.
  8. rcinclt

rcinclt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every night before you go to bed:

1) clean affected area
    2) apply a liberal amount of Neosporin
    3) wrap entire area in plastic stretch wrap. Yes the clear kind in your kitchen.
    4) tape the ends so it doesn’t unravel

No bandages, no gauze, just cling wrap. It will not stick at all. So no waking up and having to break open a scab to get a cloth gauze off. This has worked for me numerous times. For some reason it seems like I heal much faster when I do it this way. Remove when you wake up to let your skin breathe. Always keep affected area full of Neosporin.

Good luck!

upload_2019-5-26_23-8-36.jpeg

upload_2019-5-26_23-10-48.jpeg
    shinyribs and gmk999 like this.
  9. Quickshifter

Quickshifter Just got the Blue BMW

Oddometer:
    Hey 2wx,
    The best way to heal road rash is to get Tegaderm Hydrocolloid thin....this is a membrane that goes over the wound... by far the fastest way to get it to heal....also much more comfortable.... I had to buy mine off the internet,,, you might find it at a good medical supply drug store... look it up on line... if you want more info get back to me
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  10. 2wxplorr

Oddometer:
    That's a new one! And everyone's got that on hand. I'll try that tonight. Thanks

I'm interested in knowing more, looked it up but there are so many options, do you use a specific brand or type? It's not cheap so I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.
    rcinclt likes this.
  11. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Tegaderm is good stuff. It is a sterile, breathable barrier. Smaller bandages are pretty easy to find, but it comes in many sizes. The largest I have is about 2.5".
    Check Walmart or CVS.
    2wxplorr likes this.
  12. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having done it.

A clean unused toothbrush to scrub the gravel out, a slosh of peroxide to get any small stuff (apparently that's not recommended but it worked for me), slap a bandage over the top and leave it for as long as I could. The smell got to me after a week, took the bandages off and essentially healed.
    2wxplorr likes this.
  13. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    +1 on the stretch wrap.
    Diabetic here and last time I had an off ( Over the bars at 60mph) My Dr recommended it to, in his words " Bring blood to the wound"
    But only for the first day. after that sterile pads and Bacitracin ,It worked well.
    No infection and surprisingly little scaring
    2wxplorr likes this.
  14. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Three tips from a few years working in a military ER. 1) Before even thinking about bandages and ointments, clean the wound thoroughly! It's uncomfortable, but any crud remaining increases the odds of infection, scarring, and delayed healing significantly. 2) Don't use peroxide, alcohol, or anything else that can damage healthy tissue. There are several antibacterial cleansers available that do a better job. 3) The method used to cover the wound will vary depending on where it's located. Tape often fails over joints because every time you flex the joint the bandage shifts. Roller guaze or even an Ace wrap might be a better choice. There is no universal method; examine the injury and determine the best way to keep it covered.
  15. 2wxplorr

Oddometer:
    Yeah, since it's my knee is a bit tricky. Right now I have seran wrap with an ace wrapped over it to hold it in place. I did clean it pretty well but with all these comments I feel like maybe I need to get in there again.
  16. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    If you have to scrub out a wound, go buy a wound cleaning brush. If you can't find those, a "sensory brush" or corn silk brush like this is also good, just sanitize the brush first. The bristles are very soft, but it will still hurt a lot.
    [​IMG]
    2wxplorr likes this.
  17. Quickshifter

Quickshifter Just got the Blue BMW

Oddometer:
    Hey 2wx,
    I do not think the actual brand matters that much, THE ONE I GOT HAS A " 3M" label on the box....and it is real expensive but if you ever use it it is so good you will go back.
    This stuff is good on wide open shallow wounds. clean area real good then apply patch directly on wound. It goes on like a firm membrane then absorbs the wet white blood cells that come to the area. The tegaderm absorbs the moisture and suftens up....it keeps your wound moist and more comfortable and it heals much faster. You can leave it on for up to two days, but on a fresh wound change once a day.
    Be careful to really clean wound....I learned this when I crashed my road bike and used this on my cheek...It healed quickly BUT>>> I had some asphalt that healed under my skin and had a "trauma Tatoo" the size of a nicklel on my cheek. Took 4 plastic surgeries to remove the gray spot.
    2wxplorr likes this.
  18. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Vaseline covered gauze patches are nice and cheap. They protect the skin and keep the scab moist so it stays (somewhat flexible). AND they will not stick to the wound, I imagine they breath a little bit too, but the petroleum jelly keeps things inside from drying out.

https://www.amazon.com/Vaseline-Gauze-Dress-Box-12/dp/B000GCOIGY?th=1

Plan on one a day for about two weeks. After that, you'll be healed up enough to let it out in the air.

Oh yeah, get some wrap too. You'll need it to hold the pad in place. Gauze or stretch bandages do well on joints but I prefer those self adhesive stretch bandages.

They even come in Kawasaki Green!

https://www.amazon.com/FEEL-Self-Ad...dages&qid=1559066097&s=hpc&sr=1-13-spons&th=1
  19. 2wxplorr

Oddometer:

Thanks! AND KTM Orange!
  20. mi500

mi500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had some rash from a pedal bike when I was younger on my knee. Definitely get in there and scrub the crap out of it. A week later I had to go to the ER and they took a brush to it and scrubbed it down to clean flesh. There was still crap in there that I missed. Hurt like hell but it stopped sneezing snot every time I bent my leg and seemed to heal quickish.