Road Rash...how do you treat it?

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by 2wxplorr, May 26, 2019.

1. 2wxplorr

2wxplorr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info folks. A week and a day in and it's doing super well. I think almost ready to start letting it breath. I've bought some tegaderm but unfortunately it wasn't large enough to cover the wound area so I've been using the saran wrap, Neosporin, and tape, cleaning out the wound twice a day with soap and water. I decided against scrubbing it clean as a nurse friend said it could damage existing tissue, but have cleaning the thin layer of white gunky stuff off with sterile gauze. I've been watching it closely and haven't had any red flare ups and swelling continues to decrease. I have full mobility of my knee with zero pain, except the tape pulling hair.
  2. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Got me a little case of road rash right now, and another spot of recently healed up road rash. I'll take pavement rash over gravel rash any day!

It's best to keep the wound moist, in my experience. If you let it dry up and scab over it'll be uncomfortable as hell as it keeps cracking open.

Get some non stick bandages that will soak up drainage and some antibiotic cream. Be careful with some antibiotics cleaners as they can prevent new skin growth.

Swap the bandage at least once a day. Flush the wound thoroughly with clear water, let it dry, apply antibiotic cream ( Bacitracin, Neomycin) to the face of the drainage and slap that puppy on there. As long as it's slathered with cream and a baggage that can absorb the drainage you will prevent infection from getting in. Be sure to clean your hands very well ( antiseptic soap) before tending to the wound. When the skin turns to a dull pink you can stop using antibiotic creams since the skin closed. Kept it moist with lotion at that point to keep the new skin from drying out and cracking.

A covered, moist would will heal quicker than a dry one. Just gotta make sure you scrub wound well at the very beginning, and that can be torture, but it's gotta be done!
  3. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Cowboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agree
    And a good rule of thumb: “ don’t put something in a wound you wouldn’t put in your eye!”
  4. 2wxplorr

Oddometer:
  5. BigBaltic

BigBaltic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rather than use stretch wrap, go buy the medical grade stuff that is sanitary and a brethable membrae, I think its called Tegaderm by 3M. I'ts PHENOMENAL stuff. Looks really weird when the stuff heals under it, but it is incredible. I had some road rash from a runnning incident a while ago, part of it was covered by this membrane, the other wasn't. The part covered healed twice as fast. Just leave it on until it needs to come off. It really is waterproof and won't come off on it's own.
  6. Getdrty

Getdrty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the rash is healed you can use Mederma to help with scarring. My ex did that after she dumped her bike. She also got laser surgery to help with the really bad spots.
  7. 2wxplorr

Oddometer:
    My injury got small enough to use the Tegaderm for my trip this weekend...man that stuff is amazing, sticks so well and so flexible, you barely know it's there. Left if there for my whole 4 day - 1,000 mile trip this weekend and barely any issues. The only thing is that I had another small spot I had to cover with a different bandage and the tape went over the Tegaderm, when I pealed the tape off it took those parts of the Tegaderm as well. I will say that I noticed a slower improvement with the Tegaderm compared to the stretch warp/neosporin method, however hours of contact with my knee pads probably didn't help. Bandages are now off and letting it finish healing, thanks for all the great advice and hopefully this thread helps someone in the future.
  8. A1R250 bob

A1R250 bob n00b

Oddometer:
    As a wee lad back in the mid 50's it was possible to introduce cinders into knees and elbows from doing a header on a Schwinn. The nurse was a WWII veteran (her name was Pearl) and used a stiff scrub brush on my exposed hamburger. I remember being told something like be a man about it and all these black specks need to come out or they may take your arm.

Attached Files:

9. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I learnt after being chased from hospitals by the nurses trying to clean my wounds. My way is to leave it a few days with no cover until it gets a hard blood crusted scab then soak your self in a hot bath with the wound under water for half hour or more until the scab gets soft and milky white. Then grab a clean flannel and wipe the scabs from the wounds it's painful but cleans very well leaving no debris in the wound. Once its clean I just let it scab again until it falls away.
    Trust me Ive had heaps of practice. :-)