Road to Tuk.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MGV8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    I took a bear safety course years ago, I used to haul seedlings for reforestation and take them out to tree planters camped out in the bush and it was part of the orientation through Canfor. in the course we were taught that there were different actions taken when attacked by a black bear or a grizzly, when a black bear attacks a human it is most likely starving and to fight as hard as you can. it will not attack long knowing it is expending too much energy for a meal and give up. a grizzly will most likely attack to defend it's territory or cubs, and will only attack long enough to ensure you are not a threat so playing dead (while protecting your neck) was the best course of action. black bears are less likely to attack when they are with cubs because the cubs are taught to tree themselves and only come back down when the sow calls to them. now this was some 20 years ago, I don't know if this is still current teaching or not...but it always stuck with me.
  2. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I am in Chilliwack BC getting a muffler on my Dodge 4x4. I have seen bears close by but the Hookers, drug dealers & the RCMP are more scary. People die here often.
    devildogg and MGV8 like this.
  3. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There we go, destroy a perfectly good bear discussion :lol3 Be careful or this too might get moved to the basement
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I have learned. Bottom line is if its a griz attack there is nothing you are going to do to stop it anyway so your best bet is to play dead and to do that as long as that bear is in the area. Wait longer than you think you need to. I can't tell you how many stories I have heard where the bear stopped attacking and the person gets up to find the bear is still in the area and comes back and eventually finishes the job. Blacks on the other hand is a fight for your life because that is what you are doing. Blacks won't risk serious injury most of the time.

KR
    inverted likes this.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-3-6_18-44-13.png

my plan is to carry a 22 and in case of bear attack, shoot the guy next to me in the foot as I run away...
    Rollin', 'Bob', Gonzago and 1 other person like this.
  6. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
  7. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    1%'s or knobby tire kind ?
    Bill 310 likes this.
  8. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The tasty round ones would be my guess
    'Bob' and Adanac rider like this.
  9. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Was that summer of 19?
    I saw him just north of EP. turned tail and ran when he heard my Tiger growling.
    Ride Now, Bigbob1 and Adanac rider like this.
  10. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    The day after I took the photo I spoke to the two riders who had reported the Grizzly incident. They had photo's of the bear grazing, then looking at them. When it started to charge they decided they had enough photo's.

One was on a BMW - 800 I think, the other was on a KLR. I didn't see any 1% patches. :1drink
    CavReconSGT and Adanac rider like this.
  11. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    23 Jun 2015 to be precise. :D
  12. KiLeR650

KiLeR650 tjoseph is unethical.

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the moto equivalent of "I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun my buddy."
    RockyDS, 250senuf and MGV8 like this.
  13. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Or that guy on the bicycle ;)
    RockyDS likes this.
  14. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Bear story, Didn't see one on the Dempster, sadly. But on a previous trip to Alaska, near Burwash, a big brown bear jumped out of the ditch about a hundred yards in front of me. I had seen him coming so was all over the brakes. He staked out the middle of the road and just watched me for what seemed like forever. I was on my ST1300 and loaded. So U turns were awkward, for me at least. I was between thinking of get my camera out and trying to figure out how I would turn around to stay alive if he charged, ( I never would have made it He was only 50 yards away by the time I stopped) When he decided that I was too much work to try and eat and ambled off the road. I took my chance and gassed it by. I swear he was as big as me and the bike. The funny part was just around the corner here comes some guy on a bicycle pulling all his gear on a trailer. My only thought was " good luck Buddy" as I gave him a friendly wave. Too skinny to eat anyways :D Stopping in Tok later and talking with the ranger, he described how he had had to shoot one that charged him the week before, He said they're hungry this time of year, I was real nervous camping that night.
    rubline, RockyDS, Gonzago and 2 others like this.
  15. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran into this Charismatic fella on the Dempster in 2015, also made me wonder about the bicycles we passed, if they survived the mud it would be a shame to get eaten by the bear I thought, he didn't have much interest in me until my friend, pulled up on his GS then he got aggressive, hmmmm

IMG_0344.JPG
  16. RockyDS

Oddometer:
    2012 heading south near Jakes Corner I passed a large grizzly in the ditch at the top of a rise. About 1/2 km further on I passed a guy on a bicycle pedaling north toward the grizzly. That gave me pause for thought. Would he be okay? Would the grizzly still be there by the time he got to the top of the hill? How would I feel if I heard about a fatal grizzly attack later?

So I turned around and caught up with him to warn him. Alongside him as he pedaled hard up the hill head down, I tooted my horn to get his attention. He ignored me. He didn't seem to have noticed the big adventure bike alongside him. I tooted again and still alongside shouted a warning about the grizzly. 'Oh, thanks', he said 'that could ruin my day.' and carried on pedaling. I turned back south - my conscience was clear. I didn't hear anything about a grizzly attack either.
  17. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Apparently no living thing likes the GS's. :lol3

KR
    poppawheelie and Phoenix101 like this.
  18. RockyDS

Oddometer:

Maybe he thought GS stood for Grizzly Snack?
    MGV8, devildogg, Adanac rider and 3 others like this.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    our too close bears in 2012... passing picture of mom and looked like yearling cubs

upload_2020-3-9_17-16-24.png
    AwDang, RockyDS, 'Bob' and 1 other person like this.
  20. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    If you guys want close encounters with Griz. , you need to go to Hyder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MGV8, Gonzago, CavReconSGT and 5 others like this.