Road to Tuk.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MGV8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    too funny, I met and talked to that lady because she had the same breed of dog that I had, Blueheelers. And they and her were sleeping in that little car. It was in Dawson.
    CaptUglyDan and RockyDS like this.
  2. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to go south or north this year - looks like both are out. With the way covid is going in the US and Ont/Que I can see how the border will be shut for a quite a while. Im hoping now for next summer too. Luckily there’s lots of good riding in Alberta and B.C.
    rubline and MGV8 like this.
  3. NorskieRider

NorskieRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The suspension in those Smart Cars are terrible (transmission too) ... I couldn't imagine taking it on the washboards. Heck, my in-laws have one, they rarely take it out of the garage much less out of town.
  4. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Fuzzy had a spare wheel and toolkit that she had borrowed for the trip. Unfortunately, they were from her sister's GMC truck. Those Smart car wheels are held on with three bolts rather than the normal studs and lug nuts. That's why she didn't have the right wrench.

When she told me her name was 'Fuzzy', I replied 'There must be some logic to that. (Fuzzy logic - get it?) Yeah, that flew right over her head too.

I waved down the semi-trailer in the background and borrowed the drivers toolkit. Turned out he lives just near me in Alberta. Small world.

Talking small world, about a week later in Grand Cache, which is a small town north east of Jasper, I pulled into a gas station for fuel. The car in front had California plates and I got talking to the driver. When he heard I was on the way home from Inuvik, he started to tell me about a lady he met at a hotel who had broken down on the Dempster and been helped by a passing biker. That must have been Fuzzy, I said. Cue, puzzled look - How do you know, he asked?

:deal

:ricky
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    The CarShare here had a Smart car which I booked just to try it out. WEIRD transmission for sure. Its a manual that the computer shifts. A few times on my short drive it seemed as though it was in two gears at once. The CarShare got it rid of it. Nothing but problems, had to be serviced at a Mercedes dealer, nearest one was four hours and a couple of mountain passes away.
  6. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    SMART CAR vs. touring bike. The later model Smart Cars are vastly improved. They're still a standard transmission shifted by servos, but it's a dual clutch transmission. You couldn't tell it from an automatic. Wheels are now 4 lug. Motor is a turbo charged Mitsubishi, big power increase. Much better gas mileage than our Pius got. When the weather gets cold, the Prius gas motor starts even if you don't turn on the heat - has to warm to operating temp. Our Prius mileage dropped to 30. Honey Bager (Smart) don't care the weather. Gets 43 ~ 45 at worst, 55 on a trip. In Europe Smart was offered in gas, diesel or all electric. It's Mercedes' flag ship electric car. Ours is a cabrio and we love it, much more than the older model we had and kinda liked. The Smart Car forum even has a section by older touring rider/couples who say they switched to the Smart for ease of traveling and no worries about weather, but still enjoy the small vehicle mobility, fun ride. So there, this write up does have a moto connection. No, I wouldn't drive ours to Tuk.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey DYNOBOB, great to hear from you. I guess nobody is going to Moab this Spring/Summer?
  8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    A week later and we wouldn't have done BikeWeek....

Heading out west w/ the truck camper last 2 weeks of July.

poppawheelie likes this.
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, my bike resembles the remark! :dirtdog

Back when I was riding a 650 V-Strom I parked next to a smart car, the V-Strom was longer!
    rubline and RockyDS like this.
  10. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boss with Smart.jpg
    Shawnee Bill likes this.
  11. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that's a funny picture! :lol3
    poppawheelie likes this.
  12. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    I'm not going to name names here, but chatting one to one last week with one of the top three peeps in the GNWT Ministry of Health, he/she said that the 14 day self isolation requirement in the NWT would remain in place until there is a vaccine. They then said that that may mean it will be in place throughout summer 2021, even.
    RockyDS and MikefromNL like this.
  13. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :becca
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  14. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. northern

northern Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alberta was not included in the announcement and the 14 isolation will still apply to Alberta.
  16. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops! I am sure the article said Alberta when I first read it. It definitely doesn't now though.
  17. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is fully understandable, Medical facilities are very scarce up North and if Covid took a hold of any of the small communities it would be devastating. The whole respect for elders ( who would be hit hard by Covid ) has great meaning up North, something us young-uns need to learn-- I think, Patience is in order, the North ain't going any where and will still be just as fantastic when this whole epidemic issue is over.
    Gonzago, Lycan1, Ride Now and 4 others like this.
  19. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IF ? And when the border opens back up, how crowded with bikes is the Dempster gonna be ? Glad i went the first year now, but really want to do it again ! 20180629_194101.jpg
    thirsty 1, Ride Now and Phoenix101 like this.
  20. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    It may be helpful to us lesser informed...can you please tell us what community, race, ethnicity doesn't share a great respect for elders?