Road to Tuk.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MGV8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If this Covid pandemic ever subsides and the NWT opens the border, there will be a rush I am sure. Maybe as many as two or three a day :lol3 Seriously, I'm going again but planning on having more time, plus going to wait until it is totally OK.
    Cal likes this.
  2. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have concerns now that "totally OK" won't be until 2022. I am hoping I'll still be in good enough shape to do this in 2022 if that's what it takes. Not whining. I get that in the grander scheme of things the world doesn't give a shit if I get to Tuk and Alaska or not. This has been in the works for me for over 5 years now and was supposed to happen this year. To me its important. I hope it works out next year.

KR
    shuswap1, 'Bob', poppawheelie and 3 others like this.
  3. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, I had lots of plans dashed this year. Like I said the North ain't going anywhere, and it gives you incentive to stay in shape :D
    Bigbob1 and CavReconSGT like this.
  4. BlackdogADV

BlackdogADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I rode to Tuktoyaktuk, Inuvik and Prudhoe so next I want to explore Wrigley and North Canol road. My plan is to visit the far north every year until I’m dead. I’m 71 now so that could be 1 to 20 more trips.
    rubline, squonker, bigjohnsd and 6 others like this.
  5. MGV8

Oddometer:
    There is so much to see and I've missed so much of it, I need at least 20 trips as well.
    Sunday Rider and CavReconSGT like this.
  6. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ive been to prudoe, tuk, and lots of other places up there, not a one i wouldnt go back and see again and be just as happy as i was the first time. North an South Canol, an the Robert Campbell hwy. next time for sure. I want to see the old town above Dawson City, Hatcher Pass, McCarthy ak. The new road that goes almost to Tanana.....ect. Not sure 20 more trip would be enough ? Next trip will be 3 weeks instead of two, that will help a bit. I unfortunatly after discovering this past year of a health issue , my days are numbered and need to get moving somewhat quick if im gona go ride to these places that are now trurly on my " bucket list "
  7. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Re. the North Canol. If you scan the internet, you can find some interesting stories. As far as I know, the only people to make it all the way through, were some young bicycle guys with back-pack rafts and good mountain bikes, which they walked a large part of the way. I can't remember the name of the northern most settlement now.
    Re. get'n er done. I've been thinking lately, I'm really glad I did my RTW trip a few years ago. I'm approaching my mid 70's and can't be wait'n around for Covid or whatever to pass.
  8. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    The Yukon section is maintained but after the road crosses into the NWT it has been allowed to deteriorate. I've no idea if it's possible to get all the way to Norman Wells on the Mackenzie River but almost certainly not by motor vehicle. I think it is now barely a hiking trail.
  9. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know of the road conditions on the NWT side of north canol rd. I have done my homework. All i want to do is get the 150 miles to the Yukon/ NWT border, no illusions of making it to Norman Wells.....set your goals low, and you'll never dissapoint your self ! Lol
    Lots a history in that part of the country,and i'd like to see it.
    poppawheelie, CavReconSGT and RockyDS like this.
  10. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like the road basically terminates at mile 212 at the Dechenla Lodge. This wasn't on my plan but looking at it more I think I am adding it in.

When I get to the lodge, I'll probably be asking them about conditions beyond. :ricky

I'll probably listen. :muutt

Thanks guys,
    KR
  11. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Norman Wells, that's it! Anyone making the attempt beyond the NWT border, please post a note and link here - to your thread . . . with pictures! :deal :webers
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    there has been a few accounts posted in AdvRider of riding as far as an old air strip... also the concern about bears... I have seen pictures of a graveyard of equipment and trucks near the NWT/Yukon border... on my bucket list as I would like to go and do some fishing in the area and see the area (and not get eaten by a bear)..

Found this info, "Summer road access is possible to McMillan Pass (Yukon-NWT border) along the North Canol Road through the Yukon. Two airstrips are near to Dechenla wilderness resort, one at Mile 222 16km from the lodge, the other near McMillan Pass, some 50 km from the lodge – both support air charter service, from Whitehorse or Norman Wells."

I would take that is as far as you can drive....but I do not know

http://www.dechenla.ca/map.php
    CavReconSGT and poppawheelie like this.
  13. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Lyndon Poskitt had to turn around on the N. Canol rd. He doesn't turn around for much.
    TreasureState and Bayner like this.
  14. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel available at the lodge ?
    I have read about many attempts to make it all the way to norman wells, all but a 1 i read about failed miserably ! And they basically walked it, then a local at norman wells saw them on the wrong side of the river an got a boat an helped them across.
    I also read of an attempt in the 80's by atv that was well planned,and some what sponseres by outdoor life ,or field an stream magazine. They ended up getting rescued by helicopter, and the next year had there atv's and gear also hauled out by helicopter.
    The brush has taken over the road, the river and stream crossings are very bad, and get worse if it rains. If your lucky enough to survive all that, then i figure the bugs will do you in !
    As far as bears go, like i have always said, you dont have to out run the bear.....just the slowest person there !! 20200927_161248.jpg
    Argus16 and Phoenix101 like this.
  15. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    Do Kodak bears actually stop and pose for that "perfect Kodak moment"? :lol3
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  16. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They blind you with the flash bulb making you easier to catch.
    Ride Now likes this.
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I think I will go to southern Saskatchewan instead. Less bears.
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Where are the most bearless places in Canada?

I hate bears.
  20. I82l8

I82l8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Downtown Toronto or Montreal :y0!
    Ride Now, Bigbob1 and Phoenix101 like this.