1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Road to Tuk.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MGV8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a very well travelled road, trucks, campers, cars, and every body takes care of every body on the road. I had a flat(picture in Avatar) and a dozen vehicles stopped this was June 20th. I am sure water would be given. You can also use a purifier of your choice. My flat was right beside Two Moose lake.....I was ripped off though because there was only 1 moose in the lake.
  2. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Was going to go this year but with the border closed it will be next year... :(
  3. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    @Patience - I agree with this. The only thing I'd add is use an emergency locator such as Spot or inReach.

Two Moose Lake ...

20150620_122528s (2).jpg

dscn1203s.jpg
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I seem to get by with 3-4 litres of water each day. Solo. I fill my bottles any chance I get. I have never been that remote that I have run low but I did have to borrow some when camped at the Peel for two nights. I am adding a filter to my kit for those rare times like this. Of much more importance, I ran out of Beer!!! WTH.
    Only had to pour fuel in at Two Moose Lake, but it was named correctly.
    E4239F11-B954-429E-90C8-81B7D10E971F.jpeg
    Cowtowner, Lycan1, Ride Now and 4 others like this.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we have ran out of water and started packing a quality water filter, which we have used a couple of times
  6. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Katadyn Filter, Bug hat, bug clothing, 2 bear sprays, some bear bangers and a satellite phone.

You really don't want beaver fever. A She-wee for the ladies.
  7. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take the same filtering systems on Moto trips as I do for Backpacking trips: Gravity filter (Platypus 2L or 4L) for "clear" water; collapsible bucket & alum for silty water sources. Pumps can clog up with silty water - happened to me on a week-long trip down in Grand Canyon. It wasn't an issue, as I had the bucket and Katadyn Micropur Tablets as a back-up.

I may throw a metal water bottle in an outside pouch on my Backcountry 35's, but usually only take a couple of Platypus bottles (light and foldable) and/or a plastic water bottle from a convenience store. I've never had a Platypus bottle leak on me.
    Madman4049, Phoenix101 and Cal like this.
  8. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I double down on the water treatment with tablets and a Katadyn filter pump. I routinely use whatever water source is handy collecting it in a collapsible bucket, adding a tablet to that then using the filter to pump it into my 2L bladder. I have an additional MSR bladder I can fill if I need more.
    sstracke likes this.
  9. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Canadian back country essentials ...

DSCN1119.JPG

... and if it's a bad year for mosquitoes (wet spring) then add this ...

mossie net (2).jpg
  10. KevinZucht

KevinZucht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a cool photo!
    MGV8 likes this.
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    we found only 100% DEET (you know the stuff that melts plastic) would keep the skeeter and biting flies off you... and even with DEET we wore:

upload_2021-5-12_22-18-8.png

wife snoozing on the beach waiting for the McKenzie ferry to start running again
    Sunday Rider and Bill 310 like this.
  12. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I carried a bug net but never had to use it. Both My trips tp the NWT were in August. So the bugs were almost a non issue. My first trip up to Wood buffalo and the Fort Simpson Loop it was 20 degrees c most days and warm at night. So on my Tuk trip I cut back on Warm Gear. It was 1 degreesC and Rain/Sleet when I got to Inuvik and 2 degrees in Tuk the next day. Damn near froze. Add Long johns and extra warm gloves to your kit along with the bear spray and a Bug net. And maybe a Micky of Whiskey :lol3 A Good Canadian one of course.
  13. Patience

Patience Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of good ideas here, thanks

Next question for anyone;

"What's the best time of year to make this trip..?"

If a person was thinking maybe heading up in the last week of July.. would this be too early to see the northern lights..? {Also possibly too early to minimize the bugs.?)

I sorta get the feeling that weather dependency is more important to avoid rain than anything else of course
  14. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I have heard of more weather related issues early June than any other month, wet muddy roads. Remember that the river crossings only open early June as well. The Mackenzie was just breaking up a week ago. I was stuck at the Peel for two days in August with flooding due to heavy Rain to the South yet it was beautiful where we were. You can encounter weather any time in the summer, sometimes every thing in one day if you are moving. I really don't think there is any best time to go, I have heard of people going as late as October and doing fine other than cold nights. The bugs, yes there were some, My late July trip to Alaska was worse than my late August trip to the NWT but each time I think they were worse in my back yard garden. I guess my point is just Go when you have the time, plan on dealing with what comes your way. If it's real nasty one day it might be real nice the next so plan to have extra time.
  15. Bill 310

Oddometer:
    We try and head up North late June early July. Longer days for riding. Fewer motorhomes it seems. Road construction is always going to be hit and miss.

Always, always gas up at the end of the day and try to keep your tank above half full. There is nothing like 10 forestry /work trucks gassing up with the big tanks in their beds and taking all the gas available in town. I learned about this when I got into line behind a group of them and the attendent called me to the front of the line and filled me next. He told me they needed more gas than he had left and "the guys" didn't want to leave me stranded for a few days till the tanker came by.

We always ride with 5 gallon fuel cells or bigger after market tanks. or a few one gallon containers. Those rotopax things.

It just takes one gas station out of gas, or a forest fire taking out the power to the pumps for a hundred miles to understand the scarcity of the supply chain.
  16. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    or the stupid Internet stops running so cards won't work... or you roll in to a remote area for gas and they ran out "last week''... or because of politics they won't turn the fuel pumps on... yep carry extra..
    TreasureState likes this.
  17. pyro_

pyro_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Something you guys could try for bug repellent, we make our own and use it here in northern ontario and it works well much better than any of the normal off the shelf stuff you will normally be able to buy in the store, the bug tend to fly around us but dont tend to land and bite. Word of warning most ppl are not a fan of the smell of it but personally i can live with it if i am not getting bit

It is 3 parts baby oil, 1 part pine tar (can find in equestrian shops) and i add 1 part oil of citronella ( this you get from a drug store) we normally just add 1 bottle of it. this is normally less than 1 part. all that it is there for is make it smell a bit better
    so in other words if you had a 12 oz bottle of baby oil then add 4 oz of pine tar and up to 4 oz of oil of citonella. mix really well. lasts for a long time. We have used the gel baby oil and it works well just harder to mix.

My grandfather originaly got a variation of this recipe from the indians when he was building railroad bridges going up to Moosonee, we have found it really works well though the more you sweat the faster it will come off
  18. jxvak

jxvak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went up in mid July 2010 and had rain 1 day out of 10. Had a vstrom 650 at the time and dragged around extra fuel and a tire the whole trip and didn't need them. If you get at least 400kms to a tank you'll be ok as long as you you top up on a regular basis. I used to overthink my trips too much and brought needless things with me and worried about the smallest details. Water? dont recall that being a problem up there as much as say going to the southern states. Hopefully if I go to Tuk this year its with new tires, reckless 80 for luggage and a 2 litre camelbak- thats it.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  19. Bill 310

Oddometer:
    Speaking of carrying tires. I think I posted this before.

Buy a roll of the clear stretchy wrapping tape at any office supply place and wrap it around your tire so that the rim side of the tire and the tread are completely protected from the elements ( road grim, little bits of rock, misc. crap). If you need to/are planning to change a tire , you have a nice clean inner tire to deal with (especially helpful with tubed tires)

[​IMG]

Some tire sizes are hard to find in the north, I'm looking at you Honda ST 1300 with your bastard child of a front tire size 120/70ZR18
  20. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Hell, my tire sizes, 120/70-14 and 140/70-13 are hard to find anywhere.

I started up the Dempster Highway but I did not have the time or the tires for Tuk.

I should have got organized in Dawson City and gone. I hate bears.
    MGV8 likes this.