Road to Tuk.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MGV8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could always start a new thread t continue....
    I82l8, 250senuf and poppawheelie like this.
  2. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably not. MEC is a big part of Canada and some cracks in it's armour are beginning to show

https://pressprogress.ca/mountain-e...rkers-experts-call-it-a-union-busting-tactic/

The MEC brand may be overstepping itself

https://www.mec.ca/en/article/an-open-letter-from-our-ceo

We have also announced that we are seeking to sublet our head office building with the goal of moving to a space more appropriate for our needs.

And here is why they are subletting...….

https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/new-hq-press-release

To me MEC is now a Condo Board gone wild, they have forgotten that they are merchants first and foremost.
    wos and skibum69 like this.
  3. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, if my wife's back continues to approve I'll be released from husband duties to attempt a Trans-Canadian adventure (West to East) this summer. I was planning to do this trip last summer.

I'm weighing my options of making another try to get to Tuk in mid-to-late June. Tried in 2018 but the road was a disaster and the weather was closing in. I'm already planning on taking in Yellowknife, James Bay and possibly the TTR. Then back across Labrador and down through the Maritimes. I'm in my 60's and it is highly unlikely I'd get another crack at riding to Tuk (have other countries I still have to ride before I'm done).

I rode the Dalton in 1986 as far as Coldfoot when I was about the only motorcyclist on the road. A very different story now.

I'm already looking at 14,000 miles not including Tuk and have about 90 days to complete the whole thing and get home. Is it really worth an additional 3000 miles and more than a week to make the trek to Tuk? Opinions please from those who have made it to Tuk.
    Cajunhawg and Phoenix101 like this.
  4. skibum69

Oddometer:
    If you're heading to Labrador you should cross the island and come stay with us at our Moto B&B that will be open this spring. Good luck getting it together!
    Phoenix101 likes this.
  5. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Guys, when is the best time, weather-wise, to attempt the road up to Tuk?
  6. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Jul/Aug
  7. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would say most definitely. Planning my second trip just not sure when
  8. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Been to James bay twice. Not saying don't go. It is a beautiful area and I loved both trips. Not sure of your route but if you need to delete something for later I would forgo that part of the trip. James bay road isn't much of a challenge. Just long. The North Road or Trans Taiga is another matter.

If I was going to skip something, it wouldn't be Tuk. I have plans to go there and Deadhorse leaving in May this year.

KR
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am planning on going up James Bay Rd and returning via TNR. I'll do the TTR if I can find another fool to join me on that stretch. Not sure I'm "Adventurous" enough to do that road by myself at this point.

In 2018, it rained on me for 30 straight days. Put a damper on my trip as several of the routes I was originally planning were awash.
    MikefromNL and CavReconSGT like this.
  10. skibum69

Oddometer:
    It's been on my list for years, if all of my other plans go to shit maybe I'll join you.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  11. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a sad state of affairs. I am much more involved in the activities and communities that MEC caters to than I am with motorcycling and I have been an avid supporter of them since I was a teenager. I've spent more money on climbing gear there than I ever will on motorcycle tires.
    They have made a lot of mistakes over the last 5 or years. They have gone from an excellent outdoors specialty shop with helpful, knowledgeable staff to to more or less just another retailer. Their staff in the Vancouver store don't have a clue and actively avoid customers. Their environmental policies are eroding (leaving 1% for the planet this year was a mistake). Now they have cancelled almost all of their athletic events this year (I take part in all of their cycling, road running and trail running events- they're now gone). I don't like what has been happening at all.

I hope you're bringing studded tires if you're going in May!
    Bill 310 likes this.
  12. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    I am thinking it will be early/mid June when I start that part of my trip. I am planning on tailoring the drive up to accommodate the weather.

KR
  13. MGV8

Oddometer:
    If you timed it so you were on the Dempster late June, you would be good. There is always the Dust to Dawson kinda sudo rally on the June Solstice. A lot, time their trip up to Tuk after. Of course this means you will have lots of company if you're held up due to weather. Remember also that the ferries usually don't run before the first of June so not much point going before then. Being flexible and doing the Dalton first then the Dempster or vice versa could be an option as well. As you said "Accommodate the Weather", smartest thing one could say.
    MikefromNL likes this.
  14. CavReconSGT

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I would like to avoid the crowds even though it sounds like a good rally. I have to be in Anchorage on July 15, other than that, I can pretty much do as I wish. I will try to delay the Trip to Tuk. Maybe do Deadhorse first and Tuk on the way back. I still have time to think about the route. Appreciate the advice.

KR
    MGV8 likes this.
  15. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went in 2018. The D2D was good fun. I left early the morning after the rally and saw hardly any traffic (5 motorcycles on the return trip from dawson to tuk?).
    It was cold past Fort McPherson. 3C and wind coming off the ocean in Tuk. Frigid. Good ride though.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    I was up in Dawson during 2018 D2D on my Honda Forza 300 maxi-scooter. It was interesting watching you silly people.

I went along the Tuk road just long enough to read all of the warning signs.

I ran out of time or I would have tried to ride to Tuk. It looks doable if the weather is right. I hate bears.
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  17. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    The road definitely got slick in places during the rain. Saw lots of carnage (abandoned bikes and damaged bikes waiting to be shipped south) but fortunately I didn't have any issues. Only saw a couple bears on the Dempster. Lots more in Alaska.

A few of my favourite pics I took along the dempster:
    IMG_20180626_132926_098.jpg IMG_20180717_073910_499.jpg IMG_20180627_184414_724.jpg
  18. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Where was that camp spot, North of Tombstone?
  19. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering the same thing. My wife and I are going to head up in mid to late June.
  20. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it was actually inside Tombstone. It was about 100km from the start of the Dempster, down a little ways from the road, on the east side of the road.
    We were headed south trying to make Dawson but came into a thunderstorm in the valley, so we decided to turn around and find somewhere to set up. It turned out to be a really good idea once we found that spot. The weather the next morning was great.
    knight, MGV8 and Bigbob1 like this.