1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Road to Tuk.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MGV8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Bigbob1

Bigbob1 Rain Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wondering the same thing. My wife and I are going to head up in mid to late June.
  2. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it was actually inside Tombstone. It was about 100km from the start of the Dempster, down a little ways from the road, on the east side of the road.
    We were headed south trying to make Dawson but came into a thunderstorm in the valley, so we decided to turn around and find somewhere to set up. It turned out to be a really good idea once we found that spot. The weather the next morning was great.
    knight, MGV8 and Bigbob1 like this.
  3. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course that Picture has given me a strong desire to go find where it it was taken, thanks a lot.:lol2
    MikefromNL likes this.
  5. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun!
  6. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yukon Territorial campgrounds cost $11 per night and include free firewood

NWT campgrounds sites vary in price , but about double the Yukon , you will need to buy or scrounge firewood
    There are showers at Nitainlaii TP
    There are some great campsites at Gwich'in TP , if you look for them
    Would avoid Happy Valley TP in Inuvik
    Jak TP wasn't much better , more piss jugs can be found here than a Trailer Park Boys set

Free camping at the Artic Ocean and burning driftwood was the best campsite
    If you camp here, keep an eye out for the dog that is trained to fetch firewood for the guys in the fish smoking shack,
    the dog raided our pile of firewood several times
  7. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog That's a lot of dirty ol piss jugs.:imaposer
  8. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:

On our trip to Inuvik, we stayed at that Happy Valley TP
    It definitely is not scenic and not great camping. But it is right in Inuvik, so you can just walk around town from camp, It has 24 hour security, It has showers, It was less that $6.00 for each of us three sharing the same site. It is just a place to put your tent though.
    CavReconSGT and MikefromNL like this.
  9. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    In general and on average there are a LOT more humans in Black bear territory than there are in Grizzly country. That speaks volumes about numbers of attacks. My brother who lived and hunted in AK was much more concerned about mountain grizzlies hunting him than big fat coastal bears gorging on salmon. Certainly black bears kill people, but they also inhabit much more crowded areas and hence get in trouble with their cubs and human food. Keep some spray ready to go in a second and you will probably be fine.
    The tough part is standing your ground, getting spray ready to fire and waiting for that freight train of teeth to get in spray range. Its likely a lot of people will crap pants and run only to be attacked.
    I cant imagine a griz coming at me full tilt while I am holding a 9oz can of spray. OMG.
    We have moose, lions and bears in my hood and the first 2 concern me more than the bears!
    shuswap1 and Phoenix101 like this.
  10. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have an estimated 18,000 ~ 20,000 black bear in Pennsylvania, estimated by DCNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) and next to no problems. They avoid human contact very effectively. They come in our backyard, which is in town< at night in the Fall to raid the bird feeders, so we bring the feeders in at night. The only way we knew it was the bears instead of the deer, was by using my game cam. Riding the Cassier Hwy and in Alaska I saw many black bear, some with cubs, that would run away as soon as they saw me. I saw one griz along the the road and he stood up and stared at me as if to say, "Is that worth chasing?"
    CavReconSGT and shuswap1 like this.
  11. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    PA has some of the largest black bear in the world including Alaska. They have amazing genetics and high BMI for cubs and adults. In UT lion, moose and bear country I hike w spray as primary and a 10mm backup.
    With trip coming up to Tuktoyaktuk and Alaska it will of course be with only spray.
    83CB570B-40DC-4DBE-B5C8-539F0C494701.jpeg
  12. gpfan

gpfan a mari usque ad mare

Oddometer:
  13. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    And it will get you arrested in Canada.
    gpfan and I82l8 like this.
  14. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    ... and I'd recommend bear bangers.

[​IMG]
    poppawheelie and OnOff like this.
  15. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Plenty of Canadians own similar firearms perfectly legally.
    Bill 310, Phoenix101 and OnOff like this.
  16. Bigbob1

Oddometer:
    One note on bear spray it has an expiration date printed on it, just like milk. I go out hiking three days a week with several other retired motorcycle riding buddy's. Some of them had never shot a bear spray so I took some expired ones and let them shoot them and everyone was surprised at the short range and small pattern. I then shot a fresh one and it was a big improvement in distance and pattern.
  17. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also wonder if cold temps reduce range of spray as well. Certainly temp can affect pressures in a can. Would it be better to carry spray inside your jacket to warm the can and possibly increase spray range?

I would certainly not take a handgun into Canada and the only place I carry one here is when I am not on top of the food chain. I’m curious why a poster above called my handgun rig crap? To me it’s just a tool. I had no problems hunting w a bow and long gun in Canada. Truly don’t want any of this to turn political but just mentioning lots of guys hunt w handgun and they can be a helpful convenient backup to spray in Alpha predator country. My best to you.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  18. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you bring bear bangers into Canada or can Americans purchase them there? Thanks
  19. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bear bangers? Do they contain a charge of gunpowder? I'm familiar with the idea of firecrackers to scare a bear away, but the Canadian Embassy told me I couldn't cross the boarder with them. BTW an Alaskan bush pilot told us the one time he had to use bear spray, it worked. He said the correct way to use it is not to try to spray into the bears face but lay down a wall of spray between yourself and the bear. Of course wind in an unfavorable direction . . . Comments from anyone who has actually used it? Wife and I are going to the Arctic again this Summer.
    OnOff likes this.
  20. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume you can cross the border with them, they are readily available to purchase here from most outdoor shops. I carry both bear spray and a flare pen with the bangers and have traveled into the US and back with them.

Like the spray, proper use and deployment of the flare is important to practice prior to needing it. Firing the flare past the bear may just force it to run towards you instead of away.
    RockyDS and OnOff like this.