Road Trains in North Dakota and beyond?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bruincounselor, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    This:
    https://www.inforum.com/news/govern...ask-Congress-for-greenlight#.YEt3gU9W_vo.link

My understanding is that the request for federal approval is to allow them on federal roads (interstates) in ND AND neighboring states (MN, SD, MT). No approval is needed for state roads and there is a bill to do just that making it's way through the state legislature so all the 2 lane roads can have them. "It works in the outback" :baldy

I'm trying to imagine passing a 200 foot long and 350,000 pound behemoth while the wind is blowing a moderate 25 mph.

I wrote the ABATE of ND chapter (I'm a long-time member) about this months ago and they appear to have been mum on the issue. I've seen no calls for action. The state chapter president is a truck driver so there's that.

Mods: I put this in the regional forum in the hopes that it is seen: I believe this is moto safety related. I understand that I may be tipping in to CSM territory. Move or nuke if you see the need.
    yosso likes this.
  2. Bruincounselor

Bruincounselor North Plains Drifter Supporter

Oddometer:
    0 comments on this.
    Am I wrong on this as a safety issue? Or is it lost on this forum?
  3. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Cannot read the article, it is behind a paywall.
    enduro16 likes this.
  4. luftkoph

luftkoph Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt if any truck drivers want it, but the trucking company’s and their customers do, there is a sharp distinction between the two.
  5. ross19907

ross19907 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cant read the article since it is behind a pay wall. My guess is that they want to extend the legal length and weight for doubles and triples within the state. Doubles and Triples are already legal in North Dakota. I see them all the time on the interstate between Fargo and Grand Forks. They just cant be over a certain overall length I believe. I don't see a big difference between pulling 2 small pups and 2 full size trailers myself. As someone who lives in North Dakota, drives semi regularly, and rides a lot it doesn't really bother me. We could have the opposite extreme like Minnesota has. No doubles or triples allowed unless on the interstate and max weight of 80000 for a semi unless you buy a permit. What a waste of fuel and time the "legal loads" are in Minnesota. I load and unload trucks in Minnesota all the time and the Nodaks that come in are always shocked at how little they can legally haul. Unless maybe I am missing something "road trains" aren't new in ND just looking to get a bit longer and heavier. As always when your on a bike give the trucks and everyone else for that matter plenty of space which is fortunately in ample supply in this state.