Roadtripping while working remote

Discussion in 'Americas' started by thecottonrapster, Jun 15, 2021.

1. thecottonrapster

thecottonrapster n00b

Oddometer:
    Two months ago I moved to NYC for a new job, corporate, ~9-6ish, work from home. I'm a new rider, got my license 1 year ago. Have driven ~12,000 km, most on a 4 month road trip.

I have a Vstrom 650. I want to spend July/August traveling while working. The idea is to ride during weekends and work from Airbnbs/Motels during the week.

Would love advice if anyone's previously motorcycle road tripped while working remote. Things I'm thinking about:
    • access to wifi/cellular coverage
    • mechanical problems (i have no experience with this)
      • Tool kit suggestions? I have a tire puncture kit, bike pump, zip ties, leatherman tool, electric & duct tape.
    • I've signed up for AAA w/ moto coverage. Anything else I should think about?
    Any advice or suggestions welcome. I haven't picked a route, mostly focused on places where it will not be excessively hot. Also away from large urban centers to save on motel money and avoid traffic.
  2. bugoutmoto

bugoutmoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great plan. I'm sure you could make it work. A few times I've gone to the park and worked from a picnic table or shelter using a hotspot off my phone. So maybe do a combination of Airbnbs/motels with an occasional outdoor day. My advice is don't tell anyone at work what you're up to. Start off with some small trips to test out your load out and gear. Then gradually go for longer and farther trips as you figure it out.
    Zubb likes this.
  3. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I have done it in Europe and S.E.Asia sucessfully. For the US I think it is no problem, you can always hop in a starbucks as a backup, assuming you just have work/no meetings. I would get a data plan on your phone as a backup, since many cheaper hotels can be spotty with wifi. GoogleFi works pretty well everywhere, but you most likely already have a phone plan I would imagine.

For NY in particular, North of Albany wifi/cell gets a bit tricky as you enter the Adirondacks, so you may be better off staying South of there until you get in the groove.
  4. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zillions of us have done that very thing only using airplanes instead of motorcycles. I lived 5 days a week on the road for a decade. Always worked from motels, restaurants, airports. It's pretty easy to adjust to as for getting laptop work done.
    Tip - you'll fall back to your cell phone plan for the internet from time to time. Have the right carrier with unlimited data and you are good to go. ATT has always worked exceptionally for nationwide coverage.

The only challenges I've had are when I"m going backcountry. That's a different story. Work will definitely get in the way of your BDR route, gravel travel, wilderness camping. Take two battery chargers (one for phone and the Sena/Cardo, and another for the laptop$$$). If you have a good full-face helmet and can slow down to below 65mph, you can answer phone calls in your helmet and no one will even know you're on a bike. This will give you time to pull over and make notes of the conversation, or to answer short questions from customers and staff.

In a pinch. . . and I mean a real pinch... you can use your InReach mini to text through your phones messages via satellite - from the middle of freekin' No-Where. No cell signal needed.

For example:
    There have been times when I'm off-grid that I've wandered through a momentary cell signal and had an urgent email come in.... but not notice it until a half-hour or hour later. But then I'm out of cell range. So I can send a text message via satellite to my assistant with instructions to solve the issue.

As long as your business is paperless (aren't we all by now?) you can do this fairly easily. The risk you face is that you'll soon be travelling more than 2 days a week, and you'll be cutting your workdays shorter to get more riding in. Such a first world problem!

I wish you LUCK!
  5. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    BTW, as noted above, do not tell your 'people' you are moto travelling while working. This ALWAYS ends badly. No matter how much your team likes you. If you miss a call or need to get some miles in, the answer is you are travelling and will get back to them ASAP. Then be sure to do so, just as quickly as you possibly can. Don't wait until end of day.

I used to have Hawaii as part of my territory. I went there exactly ONCE. My co-workers, and even my boss who see every expense report, always saw me as that lucky bastard that always went to Hawaii on the company dime. If I ever missed a call or was 30 seconds late signing into an online meeting . . . . . . "He must be in Hawaii applying suntan lotion right now". The perception was real. Even though the reality was not.
    People are jealous. It's in their nature. And the less happy they are, the more they gripe about others like you and me. Mums the word.
  6. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with Zubb, people will get jealous. They already hate the idea you go out and have fun rides on the weekend while they watch the tube.
    From your first post, I assume from 6:00 Friday until 9:00 Monday you are off work and not expected to be standing by the phone. If you went to the office every day, you would likely leave around 6:00 and not return until 9:00, so what's different?