Roaming Rally 2015

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    The campground on Thursday night agreed to let folks leave trucks and trailers there for a fee. I know a fee folks were asking :thumb
  2. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    This a multinational friendly sub-forum. Tolerence and intolerance are tolerated alike.
  3. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Doing my best! Ordered a tire from my dealer awhile back and so far its a no show, similarly with the brake pads. I picked up pads at another shop but I`m still waiting on the tire. So I ordered a tire from the Cdn motorcycle superstore equivilant because I know it'll be here by Wed running the rally with a 1500km old tire ìsn`t going to cut it. So far I'm two sets of brake pads and two rear tires in. Their consumables so they'll get used I guess. (Does that sound like a good line to use with the CCCH (chief credit card holder, aka MrsCdnX) ? :D
  4. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the other thread but I'll add it here as well.

There is gas further south on the rail trail (route 2B) at St Ola Rd. Then its easy to rejoin the route via the Steenburg Lake Rd. No extra distance involved.

Also there is gas on the north side of Northbrook, early in route 2c.

Brian
  5. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Added a lift kit to the bike to help with any deep water crossings. :lol3 Tire arrived today, whew. The six days has about 1500km on it, could have went a little more with dry weather but really it's pretty smoked. Lots of tread on the Motoz!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, just a few small reminders to make the event go smoothly.

Camping

Thursday night you need to check in at the gate at the entrance to the campground. If you have cash it will speed things up (it's under $10 a person, if you check in two bikes at a time you will save a couple of dollars). They will only have one staff working and being a government run park their are forms to fill out, etc so they have asked us to ask you to bring cash as their debit/credit machine is on slow dialup. There is bound to be a lineup of folks checking in so be prepared for a bit of a wait.

Friday night, the price is $10. Please have cash and stop at the building/house prior to setting up your tent, etc. Its a nice, older couple who run the campground so please be courteous.

Saturday night, Woody is charging is $10 per person. Please have cash on hand and please head into his shop when you arrive and pay him or his wife or kids...whoever is working. Woody is a pretty cool dude and isnt making any money from this. He is using the $10 per person and is donating ten $50 gift certificates (draw will be done at the riders meeting) and he is renting an outhouse, etc with the remainder. He is stoked to have us and we're stoked he is letting us stay there.

Safe travels
    :freaky
  7. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Wednesday - final prep with oil change and consolidation of all tools, camping gear and riding gear.

Oil change steps:
    1. Remove skid plate
    2. Cures and swear as 1x retaining bolt strips
    3. Use extractor to remove bolt
    4. Complete oil change as per manual
    5. Cut slot in troublesome bolt
    6. Reinstall skid plate

Always some small thing set to trip you up when you thought you had a cunning last minute action plan that would give you the upper hand in the "crossed arms smug I told you so" silent communication going on with your wife. Next time MrsCdnX....next time the day will be mine! :lol3
  8. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My new company just joined the rest of Draught Pro in obtaining the Nestle service contract for all of Atlantic Canada, we start on Monday, I'm going to be busy for awhile:D You lot go have some fun.
  9. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Mud pit 30km in was pretty special.:eek1 At least 34" deep according to my balls deep estimate. A consistency of just mixed JB Weld and almost as much holding power of cured JB. Hope someone took pics.

Day 1 for team KTonda was pretty good, we made it to calabogie in pretty good shape, having fun and though more than 300km behind us we were still talking about the mud put. We had lunch at shooters and when we came back out to the bike I noticed oil under my front forks. Both seal had let go on my 4 mth old bike.:huh Its now traditional that I have some sort of bike issue and take a side trip to get it fixed so I can rejoin the rally later. So off to Woody's where I had new seals installed and then slabbed it to the camp ground in Round Lake. Just shy of a 300km trip on the road after 350km on the rally, not ideal on a 500 exc. Caught up to everyone back at Levairs Campground. Night night sitting around the fire dolling out smores to all the came by. Perfect :freaky

Day 2 team KTonda launched early to beat the rain and broke every imaginable speed limit on the first section of trail. Turns out we had all slept really well and fuelled by a smores induced sugar high we brraapppped through at a good clip, slowing only for the moose that wouldn't get off the trail an ran ahead of us for a few hundred feet. We took advantage of the local knowledge of one of our members and explored a mostly all off road route taking us South towards Woody's. Spectacular morning on trails most of us we virgin to. We got to the powerline section back on the route around noon. This is where we ran into some trouble when one of our riders went down hard. Seems he may have had a slow leak in the front tire and landing off one of the humps followed by a quick turn in the tire rolled sideways on the rim spitting him off in a lowside on the newly laid sharp 2" rocks. Luckily the bike came to rest on his head pinning his helmet under the swing arm. :lol3 Unluckily before he coming to a rest the bike had landed on his leg trapping and twisting his ankle. :cry Initial thought was it was broken but more likely its a bad sprain, he'll find out today. While swapping the tube and reinstalling the wheel the rain caught up to us. After confirming the confirming the twisted bars were still functional we rode out to the next town and called out our amazing support crew out. Rally was done for us and it was time to load up and head for home. Some really awesome riding on the route and on the off route sections we followed. Good times were had and it was great ice to meet some more folks sitting around the campfire. :freaky

Team KTonda (less the support crew)
    [​IMG]

This looked deeper but wasn't that bad. (Day 2 off route)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of our guys tried this a few times. The KTM was shut out but not for a lack of trying. Unless the berg counts as a KTM it was all Honda on the hill.
    [​IMG]
  10. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    [FONT=&quot]I flew in to Ottawa on Thursday, as I needed to be in Montreal earlier in the week for work, and my son Chris asked if I would drive his PU and be the support driver for the Moto Misfits RR Team.

Earlier this year my son finished taking his KLR down to Ushuaia. Chris was interested in leaning from some seasoned riders so he hooked with these guys. I met the team for the first time at the campground where the rally started and over the next couple of days learned they are a great bunch to hang out with.

The first leg of the first day turned out to be "carnage" as 3 of the six bikes ran into trouble with the big mud hole. There was more than a couple mud holes, but if you where there, everyone knows the "Big Mud hole".

Later we where told that the first bikes who got up very early crossed the hole in less then 3 feet of water, however, by the time Chris and the Misfits got there, the hole had ruts up to 5 feet deep.

One bike flooded out. One KTM just quit and wouldn't restart, and Chris fried his clutch on the KLR.

The kicker was that all three bike where broken on the south side of the Big hole and we need to push and pull them through that big hole, and later though the bush to get around the last hole which had become nothing but quicksand when we tried walking through it.

The big hole was bad enough as it quickly found that along with tadpoles and frogs, several cigarette sized leaches. I was thrilled with this news as I was standing the mud hole up to my junk in shorts and hiking boots.

We got the flooded bike started and pulled the KLR and KTM though the big hole, around the last hole and then towed those two the 400 meters to the support truck. The KTM was able to be restarted and finished the rally without problems as did the rest of the team. [/FONT]

Chris's KLR end up at Woody's for the rest of the weekend waiting for new clutch plates.

All and all it was an great trip. It would have been great if the KLR finished the trip, however, all the team has agreed to return and run the first day together over a weekend of Braaap, Beer, BS and Camping.

Chris and I had great father son time driving the support truck and rescued on other bike and assisted a couple of others with minor issues.

The final night we all start around Woody's camp fire and he filled us in on the history of the trails, his life long experiences and provide helpful ideas to our team regarding off road and ADV riding as great suggestions for the KTM and my son's KLR setups.

Team Misfits asked if I would fly again from Victoria next year and be a part of the team, ideally with an ADV bike otherwise drive the support truck again. Hey if its in the cards I will. This was a great event and a great bunch of guys to hang around with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
  12. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:
    I am curious...

[​IMG]

is there more than one bike in this photo? I assume there is but if so damn, that's brutal...
  13. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    ^that one was a gooder. I was really concerned about watering out but given how thick and soupy it was it wasn't getting into the air box like water, still we all changed air filters at the end of the day. Left side wasn't good for us either, right side I almost made a clean run but needed a little tug to keep moving. Got ourselves through and helped a few others then moved on. It was an energy vampire for sure.
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Lorry from Outbackmotortek.com took some nice photos at the "mile from hell" on day one of the route

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Oh my :eek1:eek1:eek1

Good thing its been a dry spring here in Ontario :lol3

DW
  16. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am assuming you are asking if there is a bike sunk in the mud, and the answer is no. This team member is trying to find the top of the deep ruts and the shallowest route through the mud hole. He ended up fall in up to his neck twice, likely helped by all the laughter and encouragement from the other team members :)

BTW Lorry from Outbackmotortek.com and BMW 800 was one of our team. That guy knows how to ride and was doing stuff on his big fat 800 that the little bikes struggled with. Lorry is just a great guy to be with and learn from.

Rick
  17. alcontrast

alcontrast at least I'm trying

Oddometer:

yeah, I was worried that there was a bike on it's side under the surface of the "water". I am sure it was close to that for some unfortunate enthusiasts....

[​IMG]
    I could see the rider in that pic getting up after hunting around for some decent footing and then wondering where his bike was...

We encountered that clay-hole the day before when riding track 1A in reverse en-route to the first campground. We checked out the mud-hole options and then checked our gps. We decided to skip it with a short road detour around that pit of woe. No regrets! We tried to warn some people Thursday night at Rideau River but no one seemed all that concerned since the ride hadn't even started yet.

I'm glad to hear Lorry found some good people to ride with. He was camped out next to us at Rideau River and I was tempted to ask if he wanted to ride with us but we had 5 people already. 3-4 seems to be the better number for these rides. So Lorry, if we found you with no one to ride with Friday morning we would have asked if you wanted to ride along with us but it appears you had some good people to ride with.. Such is the way of the Roaming Rally. No one gets left behind and everyone works together when needed. Over the past four years I've attended the RR I've never seen anyone left out or left behind.

It's always a tough ride but it's always a great time.
  18. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was my first RR. I really enjoyed it. A great weekend with an excellent route and riding with a great team, team Kthonda. Look forward to participating next year!

Little hill climb off the rail trail south of Bancroft. Day 2.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yw-mRk3_hbU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Powerline trail somewhere before Calabogie on Day 1.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w_XZx8Y_2l8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brian
  19. RobP

RobP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. CanadianX

Oddometer:
    Nice! Good times and good memories. Roaming Rally is always a good go even though it is pretty much guaranteed that I'll have some bike issue that will require me to go 100km off course for repairs and to get back into the rally. I just carry more fuel for this eventuality :lol3