Roaming Rally 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by juames, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Boianovich

Boianovich Old and Cautious

Oddometer:
    Arrived at LeVeirs about 4 yesterday. Lake washed away some of the fire pits...
    Going to checkout the tire and the RAP over the next couple of days. Old man LeVeir said he's never seen this much water. High point was halfway up the lawn

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk
  2. pelvis_98

pelvis_98 Havin A Time

Oddometer:
    Base camp is just past your old house?

3. JohnfromJersey

JohnfromJersey Like a New Man

Oddometer:
    Do we need to make campground reservation ourselves for Friday night at Levairs? Thx.
  4. JohnfromJersey

Oddometer:
    And the three waypoint addresses without descriptions along track BB-Day 2A, what are those for?
  5. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    Nope...

Delete them...just left over from pre-riding/route mapping I forgot to delete, that don't have any meaning.
    JohnfromJersey likes this.
  6. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 2A looks exactly the same as 2015.

Day 2 Alt looks way to easy. We can stay on the B trail all the way to the railtrail west of Barrys Bay. And just south of Madawaska is a great snowmobile trail that will eliminate all of hwy 523. Both are really awesome trails and work perfectly into the route.
  7. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't see any gas stops shown on the route for Day 2 and some of Day 1 on the small bike route. Some places with gas on Day 2 include Barrys Bay, Madawaska, Maynooth, Bancroft, Griffth, Calabogie. In the 2015 RR there was a gas at Killaloe near the end of Day 1 but they closed early I think. This might some planning gas stops, or those with limited ranges.
    sidewayz_control likes this.
  8. sidewayz_control

sidewayz_control Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, there aren't too many fuel markers, Day 1 small bikes there's fuel marked at km 85 and then it goes to km 312 if you don't leave the planned route. Not that I really care I can do the whole day and more with one fill, but I was hoping to run a light fuel load for a change.

Ivan
  9. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone know or have the GPX coordinates for any gas stations not marked but on/close to the route that they can share?

our entire team is on sub 160kms range, so even with fuel bottles it will be a little iffy....
  10. gqelements

Oddometer:
    ...in lieu of the answer to above (which does require work, so I didn't really expect many takers), does anyone know if there if access to Ompah from the bottom of the 'peninsula' in SB Day 1C route is relatively 'easy'? This section is partially covered in Day 2 route, but i have no way of checking how nasty that stretch is.... (and concequently is it worth dropping down to get gas...)

If the last gas prior to Griffith is in Ungava, I'm not sure the stretch will be doable on a a bike with 160Kms range...

Any suggestions or alternate gas locations welcome (Google turned up relatively nothing...)

upload_2017-5-23_23-31-14.png
  11. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I recall of that area that particular section is easy powerline trail. But still its about 12km one way down to the gas station. That section will definitely be the hardest for fuel logistics.

A couple posts above I mentioned a few of the stations for return route. No coordinates but easy to find on the map. The one in Maynooth is actually in Maynooth, not Maynooth Station where the route passes through. One additional one that will be important for limited range bikes is Trudy's at hwy 62 and St Ola Rd on route 2B. From there you should be able to make to the fuel stop in Griffith.
  12. JohnfromJersey

Oddometer:
    IMG_1567.JPG

Loaded up and almost ready to hit the road.
    See all you FF's tomorrow night!
    CanadianX likes this.
  13. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Loaded up on Sunday and added my buddy's bike and gear on Monday. A lot of kit to support two riders and four people camping. Like goldfish, expanding to to fill our environment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    juames likes this.
  14. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI the fuel stop, Fuel 3, near the end of route 1 and before the 200 plus km section with no fuel doesn't open until 6:30 am. That's according to info found on line. Judge your start time accordingly.
  15. gqelements

Oddometer:
    so my fuel monologue continues... here's what i found:

1) Not all of the Fuel Stops on the Big Bike Route are reflected on the little bike route, even if the Little bike route passes through the same location... If mapped those to the route it's a lot more manageable...
    2) many of the Fuel Stops from 2015 route (which as pointed out earlier is very close to day 2) are not at all reflected on the 2017 route... is it possible they are closed? I've manually added them to the 2015 route... hope they are open.
    3) the fuel stop in Calabogie is not on the map... is that gas station still operational?

...with all this analysis I'm still likely the one to run out of gas, just because :)
  16. gqelements

Oddometer:
    interesting... but doubtful we'd leave by 5am which woudl be required to cover the 50mi from start to Fuel 3...

Do you agree that skipping 2 is likely a good idea and heading START -> Fuel 3 then?
  17. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    to answer your question...yes...well sort of. there is a hydro line and service road called Hydro ln. that leads off the bottom west of that "peninsula". It'll spit you out onto the 509 via mosque lake rd. Gas in Ompah is about 1km east of there. If you go onto g maps and zoom into that hydro line you will see the service road clear as day. Its and easy ride.

Hope that helps....see yas tomorrow...bring yer wellies ;)
  18. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    calabogie has gas. 110% fyi
  19. ODSC1

ODSC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree. I would go directly to Fuel 3. It's only 85 km out from the start.
  20. tattewell

tattewell Mad Poser

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but it's at the grocery store, not on the main drag. Just down the road from the Redneck Cafe.