1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Roaming Wyoming 701ing

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by TexasStevo, Aug 17, 2020.

1. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Convinced myself I want a bigger bike for longer rides involving more pavement etc. Hope it’s not like when I convinced myself I needed a new truck and sold my 2003 7.3 when it hit 100K. Wish your 950 SE bikes weren’t so old and a limited run.

The couple times a year I really get in some awesome big rides in mountains and deserts, my 500 really shines in that scene similarly to the way the 701 does. The rest of the year is split with some trail riding (500) and more of adventure touring on easy stuff, (twin better than big 701 single?). I should keep it, but I also have a sickness of wanting a new toy from time to time. My wife really loves that about me.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  2. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    That makes sense. That 701 definitely feels like a rattling thumper at 80mph. A twin is a big difference. The 950SE is the answer although it's carbed and dated as you point out. I fully commend KTM for having the balls to build it. I also curse them for being chicken $h!t and not building a modern version. There's no other bike available in its class. I'm curious about what you choose.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking 1090 last year, then the 790 got my attention, as did the T700. The New Africa Twin base model non-DCT is also in the running. I’m not as worried about how these big bikes do in the gnarly stuff, that’s what my 500 is for. I want a reliable ride that can eat up the miles and gravel in comfort and a little commuting. It won’t have panniers and crap all over it, will still keep it tight and light as I can with bags directly on the bike when doing overnight runs. You’ve been around some of these bikes, if you had to replace the 950, which way would you go?
    ApexJeff and Ginger Beard like this.
  4. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    2008-12 R1200GS, 2012+ Ducati Multistrada 1200. Some excellent deals now on low mileage examples. Great mile eaters on pavement with mild off road capability.
  5. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Too heavy.
  6. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    He wants a road bike, already has a dual sport.
  7. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, he still wants an off-road bias to a degree, it’s too thick in his blood :-)
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    Still too heavy! LOL!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  9. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha!!! Probably right.....
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Gs is 30 lbs heavier, Duc 30 lbs lighter than AT. GS has much better weight distribution.
  11. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride report / pics - fun read ! Glad you guys persevered with all the truck and bike challenges
    TexasStevo likes this.
  12. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I sold my 1200 for a 1090, which I shipped to Europe, I bought a 790 for here. I like the 790 the best!!!! It seems the older I get the lighter my moto.. Maybe I am worried about picking it up? I put soft bags after a new fabricated bracket, where the 790 can handle highway speeds and I can still get in trouble on gravel. I don't trailer my bike's, I ride um.
    Sorry, to the op, but some necessitates are required for me,,,,
    at, least I don't pack chairs!!!

Smiles
  13. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I'd probably go with the 790 although it's certainly no replacement for the SE.
  14. TexasStevo

TexasStevo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decision is imminent, 701 sold already. Dang!!
  15. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've thought this over myself and the 790 is the only real choice if you wish to preserve a bit of "dirt bike" in your adventure machine AND have some performance. A 790 EXC-F is what we want, and they don't build them. The Husky 901 won't be right either.