Rochester NY to Minneapolis, MN planning help requested

Discussion in 'Canada' started by tlwood99, Aug 20, 2019.

1. tlwood99

tlwood99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Requesting some route planning help, where to camp, etc.

I am riding around the continental US and lower Canada on the installment plan (fly, ride, put bike in storage, fly back to work, repeat). I leave Rochester NY the morning of 8/30, and need to be in Minneapolis by no later than 2 pm on 9/03.

Here is currently what I have in mind:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Roc...aee07!2m2!1d-93.2650108!2d44.977753!3e0?hl=en

Any thoughts, revisions, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated!

Tom
  2. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    It seems you have a bit of time to take the scenic route.

If it were me, I would go East around Lake Ontario, cross over the St. Lawrence, head North on 41 past Bon Echo, West on 28 to Bancroft, etc etc and avoid slabbing it through the endless flat and traffic infested GTA. Even Sudbury to the Sault is incredibly boring with only a couple nice spots in between, like Chutes provincial park. North of Superior will be the best part of the ride, but fill up whenever possible up there.

Something like this: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Roc...aee07!2m2!1d-93.2650108!2d44.977753!3e0?hl=en
  3. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sir! Given what you say about the GTA and Sudbury to Sault Ste. Marie, and looking at Google Sat view thinks don't get interesting until just south, north and west of the Mac bridge, maybe I am better off just humping it towards St. I, exploring a bit of the Northern Lower Peninsula, over the bridge, and then a choice between the U.P. or north around Lake Superior. I don't see much of an interesting route through U.P. so around Lake Superior:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Roc...7!2m2!1d-93.2650108!2d44.977753!1m0!3e0?hl=en

Thanks again for your help!
  4. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best part of that trip will be from Sault St Marie to Wawa. From Wawa to Terrace Bay , not much to see . You are away from the Lake Shore . It gets a bit better from Terrace Bay to Nipigon . It gets very nice from the Border all the way to Two Harbours . It will be cold along the Lake , always is . Bring a thermal layer . What are you riding ? If you need anything around Thunder Bay let me know .

North Rider .
  5. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do come up through Michigan make sure you do The Tunnel of Trees , I think it’s US58 or maybe US28 ,I can’t remember , but it is a nice little road , not very long and it is on your way to the Mac bridge anyway .

North Rider
  6. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    Thanks North Rider, very helpful and appreciated. I'm riding a '16 R1200GS Adv. I can't remember when we hadn't hit 100F/37C so wearing thermals will be nice change.
  7. tlwood99

Oddometer:
    Also any suggestions for good places to camp? I see a number of parks along the way.
  8. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of places to camp but that is long weekend so places like NEYZ ( sp?) Provincial Park will probably be all booked as well as Sleeping Giant . Just South of Grand Marais , MN there are a lot of camping options which would be great for your last night before heading to Minneapolis . I know the KOA in Seault St Marie , Ontario is very nice , newly renovated .

North Rider