1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rock Climbers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GoGoGavin41, Feb 23, 2016.

1. cnmjr123

cnmjr123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I miss my climbing days from college. Went to school in NH and did a bunch of sport, trad, and ice climbing in the Whites with my friends. I try and make it back to NH a few times/year and get a little climbing in.
  2. maineDave

maineDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bored and found a couple of my favorite vids.

Breaking out the HBs, alpine version; PC is a beast.

And this appeals to my affection for tenuous slabbing where it melds with face.

maineDave
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    that last one is about a french as you can get... :lol3
  4. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Got out for a day last weekend. Got a couple of climbs in. Oh man, I used to lead 10-11... where did that all go? :lol3

[​IMG]
    RichBeBe and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  5. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Got out to Rumney yesterday. Feels great to head back up there and get some leads in. Had a day of easy climbing with a small group. Looking forward to progressing again.
  6. cnmjr123

Oddometer:
    Nice work! What climbs did you get on?
  7. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Oh just easy stuff on the parking lot wall. Then a few more moderate climbs on Upper Darth Vader wall. Took a swing by waimea to show the newbies what a real wall looks like. :lol3
    cnmjr123 likes this.
  8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Check out this fail.... :bash

[​IMG]
  9. Bappo

Bappo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of when we helped a climber at city of rocks who was top roping a route that was about 40' longer than their rope. Rope end not tied off, belayer let the rope slip through on descent and down he went . Shattered his hip. I went for the park ranger and ambulance and buddy kept him as calm as he could until the pros showed up.

I did the next ascent of that route to remove the bad beta. (Finer Niner for anyone that's been there).

People would travel to climb there without realizing the routes were not built for top roping.
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
  11. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    I'm sure y'all have heard about the accident at Rumney friday...
    [​IMG]

We knew it wasn't good when the EMTs weren't rushing and the helicopter shut its engine down.
  12. cnmjr123

Oddometer:
    Very tragic. Thoughts and prayers to the victim's family and friends. I read that "the man had communicated to his partner that he was coming down when he suffered a catastrophic equipment malfunction that caused him to fall unaided all the way to the ground" while climbing Dead Sea Equestrian. Nightmarish stuff.
  13. cnmjr123

Oddometer:
    Just read this:

"The man was not wearing a real climbing harness, state Fish and Game Lt. James Kneeland said, but had cobbled one together from a leather belt and kayak straps that were not rated for climbing.

Just after 4 p.m., the man told his climbing partner he was on the way down. As he leaned back, the makeshift harness broke and the man fell more than 50 feet to the ground."

:eek2
  14. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Yeah. That fucking idiot ruined the day for everyone around him that was climbing at the parking lot wall, the EMTs, the firemen, the police, the helicopter crew, etc. Arrogance and bad decision making don't work with climbing. The Holderness school kids were also climbing at that cliff. He asked his belayer to take while he was climbing, he leaned back, the rig broke.

Stay safe.
    [​IMG]
    cnmjr123 likes this.
  15. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    IMG_1702.jpg
    Yep. Once a climber always a climber. Not about grades or gear... great times, great friends, and whether it was ice or granite or choss, great to just be in the crags, mountains, and peaks.
    UngaWunga likes this.