Rock Climbers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GoGoGavin41, Feb 23, 2016.

1. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I do not lead ice, I suck on ice and try and climb it like ice...Was nice to see my partner float up some delicate stuff.
    cnmjr123 likes this.
  2. cnmjr123

cnmjr123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like to follow on ice, not lead :D Had some fun times in NH on some late-season mixed routes with really thin ice. Always type two fun: cold, wet, miserable but grinning ear to ear.
    RichBeBe likes this.
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    yeah... it was 1deg F when we got out of the car sunday morning. First climb was a little brutal on the hands. Had to spend some quality time with my hands down my pants warming up. Was fine the rest of the day.

Was interesting to see the different qualities of the ice right next to each other. Changes between soft hero ice, water running mush, and fragile glass all right next to each other. I have no desire to fall on an ice screw and expect it to hold. Hell, I don't like falling on trad gear.
    cnmjr123 likes this.
  4. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohh me too! I was wondering if no one else here stuck ice. I'm just learning this year, it's been really fun (and expensive) to get into.

[​IMG]
  5. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Chouinard's Gully in the 'Daks. It's been a while but gosh I miss it. Lost my mentor and leader... finally sold my tools earlier this year :-(

That's Paul and I upper left, pulling rope for next rap. Another father/son team was coming up and yet another climber got the pic and posted it to NEIce!

Chouinards 2012.jpg
    UngaWunga likes this.
  6. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
    Same climbing trip: My buddy PFC getting ready to lead a new slide (i.e. no really good idea what we'd find up there) in the Daks . Yeah it was cold... single digits. Such a smooth leader, didn't show a hint of stress as he ran out of rope - just called down calmly and asked: 'any chance you could start climbing?' I asked if he had found a position to belay and he just answered 'uh.... don't fall'.
    RIP brother. May the granite always be good and the ice 'in'.
    PFC IMG_1872.jpg
  7. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Went out saturday to a spot that was off the beaten path. Bunch of bushwhacking to get there, only to find it an snowy avalanche waiting for happen mess. But got some exercise out in the woods with friends, taking the gear on tour.
    Gimmeslack likes this.
  8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    You know its going to be "interesting" when leader has a mix of ice and trad gear on their gear loops... :lol3
    Gimmeslack likes this.
  9. Gimmeslack

Gimmeslack furthur

Oddometer:
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Hopefully we'll get one more weekend before its all gone.

[​IMG]
    VxZeroKnots and Gimmeslack like this.
  11. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Crowded day at the crags. Lotsa ice coming down, and people not being smart where they stood while waiting/watching/belaying... Surprised no one got hurt.

[​IMG]
    VxZeroKnots and Gimmeslack like this.
  12. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Also took a half day off Friday to touch some actual rock on a beautiful 60deg day before back into the 20s for a day of ice climbing

[​IMG]
    Gimmeslack likes this.
  13. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I out on rock on Sunday with intermittent snow squalls, but it was first time touching rock this year and felt good.
    UngaWunga likes this.
  14. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Ok, crazy weekend. Surfing saturday morning, trad climbing in the afternoon. Ice climbing sunday morning in t-shirts, sport climb in the afternoon. I'm smoked today... Definitely the last weekend for ice. I mean it this time.

[​IMG]
    VxZeroKnots, RichBeBe and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  15. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    NH - the CA of the East Coast?
  16. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Left Handed Monkey Wrench to The Cleft
    [​IMG]
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  17. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    No ice here anymore, just pure rock. Off next week for spring break, looking to get a few days of rock in-between mountain biking. Easy part is I am 10 minutes from the Gunks, tough part is most people are not off next week.
    VxZeroKnots and UngaWunga like this.
  18. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just watched Free Solo again last night and my heart still jumps up in my throat when Alex is climbing; he's so methodical, but... still... yeesh!
  19. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I listened to a podcast of someone who was filming him and Cedar Wright for a project. He soloed Cat in the Hat a pretty easy 6-pitch 5.6 on Red Rocks and then he downclimbed it. No big deal for him, not something I would do freesoloing but something I could and would do with ropes.
    Only one small thing, when he wants to make time he downclimbs facing away from the wall. He downclimbed facing away from the wall, that is freaking insane.
    Here is a pic of a friend leading a pitch on Cat in the Hat from my 50th birthday trip to Red Rock. IMG_20181110_111638422.jpg
    Ridge, UngaWunga and EddyJ12 like this.
  20. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    The rock is so beautiful out there. Were planning a fall trip to the area.
    RichBeBe likes this.