Rock Climbers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GoGoGavin41, Feb 23, 2016.

1. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    While I agree in principle, I've found in both that having nicer stuff can make the experience more enjoyable. It is cool that they're both really lifetime sports though.
  2. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Climbing use to be my LIFE. In fact "to pulldown" was a slang term my buddies and I use for climbing. My screen name has nothing to do with pull down menus.
    Rock climbing opened the door to mountaineering, then winter mountaineering, and now ski mountaineering. Now days I hardly get out despite having quality rock in the area. I still do a little ski mountaineering. And get on rock a couple times a year. My wife and I use to climb a lot together. But as we climbed more we realize our attraction for the sport was very different. I loved the mountain and the exposure. She liked cragging with a bunch of friends. As my kids get older I will be climbing more again hopefully.

Lovers leap with Bro
    [​IMG]

My oldest climbing puppy dog crack at age 2
    [​IMG]

North peak
    [​IMG]

Shasta @14 K
    [​IMG]

Boys scrambling around on unnamed slabs in Tuolumne
    [​IMG]
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  3. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Mr pulldown, definitely jealous of you being in the Sierra. I think mammoth might be the perfect place for us to retire. Not much climbing in SC while we're here for the time being.

In the meantime I'll reminisce: me on incredible hand crack on our cross country move a few months ago. It really was incredible.

[​IMG]
    mick likes this.
  4. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last week at my home crag, I live a bit under 2 hours from the Gunks and get up there often.
    [​IMG]
    Though I guess this is not a climbing shot, but a rapping shot.
    Bloodweiser and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  5. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    I see cams, we'll allow it.
    RichBeBe likes this.
  6. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    and a nut tool
    Bart Jones and GoGoGavin41 like this.
  7. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Are those the thingies that makes the valves go up and down so when the spark plug goes boom, my motorcycle goes fast?

I call a nut tool a wrench, as it opens nuts on my bike :rofl

Joking aside, I do love climbing and didn't start until I was 40 and out of shape, but I do it often, and lead easy trad, but love it. I think this was at the top of Arrow, which is about my limit, as it is a stiffish 5.8. Everyone says it, but the Gunks has a reputation of being a bit sandbagged.
  8. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Easy trad = best trad
    ClimbingFool likes this.
  9. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    ayup. And right now the bugs are out in force. Sucks to be the belay slave and have to stand in a single spot for more than a few minutes these days.
  10. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a Gri Gri and bouldering pad for my wife's birthday. She's been wanting a grigri for a while to hold my heavy, hang-dogging butt in the gym. Just going to have to figure out how to lead belay with it better.

We're not really boulderers, but with the new baby I imagine we'll be messing around with much lower / smaller stuff in the near future.
  11. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I HATE lead belaying with a GriGri and won't do it outside. In the gym I only use it if my partner is working something and is going to be a "take monster"
    But I am sure she will appreciate it, and maybe with more practice I might feel more comfortable belaying a leader on one.
  12. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Funny, i just saw this the other day
    http://stephdavis.co/blog/sprinter-questions/
    Steph Davis is one of my favorites, besides being a badass climber, BASE jumper, and wingsuit flyer she is a vegan, and now a rider.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  13. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nothing beats an ATC guide for outside. I usually see Sharma getting belayed with a grigri though, maybe my wife using one will make me a better climber :D
  14. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    It makes it easier on a not-great-climber to belay, and makes me feel safer if I'm not 100% that someone can catch my fall. I also anchor down my wife when she belays for me. Not that I like to take big whippers, but if one does happen, I don't want her to panic. Gri-gri is a good thing in those scenarios.
  15. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    No anchor for my wife. Her 120 lbs + my 180 lbs = soft fall for me every time haha. Just kidding, I do anchor her in certain situations.
  16. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Anyone in the Northeast want to get together and do a climbing weekend? A mini ADV ride and climb.
    Gunks, Dacks, Rumney, Cannon, or wherever?
    Maybe Rumney and we can post it up in the regionals and drag a gumbie or two that want to try to climb.
  17. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.
  18. CarpeLiam

CarpeLiam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm game! I'm usually floating around NH with climbing gear on my bike, anyways!
  19. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Rumney would be easiest.... I need a little bit to warm up to a new trad climbing partner. :lol3
  20. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Just spent a 94 degree day in the Gunks, killer climbing, and believe it or not, empty. I am often up there and on "regular" weekends and it is much more crowded.
    Heading to the Dacks now to open my camp, and if I find a partner and it is dry, may try and climb tomorrow, or maybe Monday back in the Gunks, where I will have partners.
    I'm good for Rumney, Baker River Campground has always been good for me, and right up the road.