Rock Climbers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GoGoGavin41, Feb 23, 2016.

1. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    See if you can find it on here: https://www.mountainproject.com/

The place where only popular routes should be posted, and secret stashes should remain secret...
  2. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:
    Made my own version of the Furnace industries dry ice tools.

Thanks to a lifetime supply of Baltic birch scraps this cost me all of $8.

09B02514-4B38-4189-AAB6-2217911B4D92.jpeg

6DAB7644-F78D-4D7F-A23B-EFE0F85A3DE2.jpeg
    Emmett likes this.
  3. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's awesome... When do the HotPass knock-off go on sale?
  4. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:
    Hah. My bro in law said the same.

They have a Patent. Probably not worth the hassle.

Gonna make a few pairs as gifts for family and friends though. They are actually pretty fun and challenging trying to get into fig fours and stuff. Hoping I can try them on a rope if anyone will let me.
  5. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    My gym has a few pairs anyone can borrow for free, they are fun, and you do get the pump. I do not use them often, but good to use in December or so to get used to the feeling, and no screaming barfies.
    They are actually in New Paltz a few miles from my weekend house, not sure if I know any of them. But pretty sure I have climbed rock next to them, since we both climb The Gunks.
  6. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Bump. I've got two vacation days I've gotta burn by the end of the month. Suggestions on places to go to sport climb for a long weekend? Not really off the couch, but ain't in top form right now. Not going to leading 11s.
  7. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Hmmm.....two days? The Red would be a far trip from NH. Thacher would be too cold, and only other sport I know of is in PA and not worth a trip to imo.
    I will be at the Red Easter week, bonus of being a teacher.
  8. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Climb and Ride weekend? Or just climb weekend. I have a vacation place 10 minutes from the Gunks. If we could get a group together we could make a weekend of it. I know some good riding roads in the area, and well the Gunks are the Gunks in terms of great climbing.
    If anyone is interested chime in and we could pick a date and make it happen.
    Also if you are bringing a lot of gear and decide to drive, no one will mock you.:rofl
  9. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's Spring-ish here in N.C. ... though we might have some more frozen precip over the next day or two.
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    I could be in for that.
  11. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Oh, it'd be a cheap flight into Vegas, not driving to RedRocks. Or are you talking about Red River gorge?
  12. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    RRG
  13. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
    Is there another thread here about the gunks? I was on a thread last week and saw some photos posted. Particularly of the sign with the climber falling, there was a short convo about it also. (climber was a friend) . I thought it was on here but cannot find it now. TIA.
  14. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    I do not remember the conversation, but I am there almost every weekend. Not sure what sign you are talking about. If you need or want some information drop me a PM if you want.
    gmk999 likes this.
  15. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    What did you end up doing?
    I have spring break and heading to Red River Gorge tomorrow for a bit.
  16. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Two buddies wussed out last minute. Going overnighting in the whites this weekend, surfing today/tomorrow.
  17. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Now that spring is finally arriving (in the North East at least) anyone getting out? Luckily I caught a good few winter days, and now spring days and have been getting up some stuff. Gunks every weekend and some of spring break in Red River Gorge.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  18. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    May get out to rumney this weekend is things dry out a little. Really out of shape, so it'll be a re-intro to climbing day for my group.
  19. EddyJ12

EddyJ12 Carpe the diem, seize the carpe

Oddometer:
  20. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Just a PSA for this group. It is easy to get complacent when climbing. After 10 years of climbing, at the beginning of August someone I knew died in a rappelling accident in the Tetons. Marco knew what he was doing, was safe, smart and competent. Yet somehow he only hooked one side of the rope through his ATC and did not check it and stepped off and fell to his death leaving his girlfriend stranded on the side of the cliff. She was rescued and okay, they recovered his body the next day. ALWAYS WEIGHT YOUR RAPPEL SETUP BEFORE YOU UNCLIP FROM THE ANCHOR. We all know that and all do it, until we don't and die.
    Sunday went for a short morning of climbing with a friend. She had to be back early for some family stuff. We have time to do one more easy single pitch climb. But if you know the Gunks it is not easy to find one of those open on a Sunday. We walked long the base for a bit and decided between heading down to an area or heading back to the cars. For the first time we decided to call it a day versus her being late. Driving to town I see a state trooper heading up towards the cliffs then a town ambulance. Don't think much about it. Heading back over the mountain I see a handful of cop cars from different agencies, two guys in suits and only one ambulance at the entrance to the preserve. From previous experience I know that is not good. Lack of other rescue personnel and suits almost always means someone died. Went home, went on FB and Mountain Project to see if I could find anything out.
    Later I heard it was a fatal accident. It very experienced climber got to the GT ledge (pretty good sized ledge) clipped into an anchor told his partner "Off belay" was taken off. Then for whatever reason he unclipped from the anchor and slipped and fell bout 50 feet to his death. I heard his partner tried grabbing the rope as he fell and got some nasty rope burns, but could not catch him. The ledge he was on is good sized and it is not uncommon to unclip from an anchor. I had done it earlier that day and my partner who is newish questioned/chastised me for doing it. If we did not head down my plan was to do the climb right next to the one he fell from. I m so happy I did not have to witness that.
    No name was released and I climbed on Monday. Being extra vigilant and sort of somber feeling someone died doing what I love and doing something wrong that I have done wrong before. Through a FB post I saw who it was. Not someone I was good friends with, but I once saw him in the parking lot and both of our partners were running late so we climbed a quick climb while waiting our partners. We were going to climb another day and it rained. We always said hello to each other at the cliff.
    They say if you climb long enough you will know people who died climbing. This month I knew two. Both could easily have been prevented, but it is easy to forget that we are in dangerous places when we climb. So be careful out there!!!