Rock Climbers

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GoGoGavin41, Feb 23, 2016.

1. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:
    RIP Jeff

Legend
    79B8155A-150F-42ED-BFB5-750B34E5D478.jpeg
    mick and inbred like this.
  2. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The climbers are out in some parts of the country, so thought I would bump this thread. Anyone have plans, trips, goals?
  3. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Heading to Pawtuckaway this weekend for some bouldering.
    RichBeBe likes this.
  4. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Climbed last weekend in the Gunks, I think this weekend might not happen. Weather looks good, but my schedule is looking iffy. I might get out Sunday, but doubt it.
    inbred likes this.
  5. GoGoGavin41

GoGoGavin41 Waves to Moto Cops (and they wave back)

Oddometer:
    Hoping to make it outside sometime this year :(
  6. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    I know nothing about climbing. Just watched Free Solo. I'm guessing most of these people eventually fall to their death. I guess you just really have to want it. There is no way I could even get close to the edge of that rock.
  7. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Actually very few free soloers that are pushing limits fall and die. It is the casual climbers and ones doing easy stuff that do. The one criticism I had of the film (and so did Alex) was when they showed a list of free soloers who died. John Bachar did die free soloing, but something very easy. Sean Leary died in a base jumping accident. Derek Hersey died free soloing, and no one knows if he dies before or after a rain storm came. Dan Osman, died in a rope swing accident. Dean Potter died wingsuit flying.
    So yes people do die free soloing (one I knew only by face and a pleasant hello at my local crag) but it is not as bad as people think, but a very small percentage of climbers who free solo die doing so. That said it always makes me nervous when one passes me or is next to me.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  8. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Did anyone else watch that movies and think "sure she's cute, but man is she ever a little dream killer..." :lol3
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another climbing question from someone who knows almost nothing about climbing.

I just watched Free Solo about the first guy to free climb El Capitan. At the end of the film it said it took him about four hours. (Or maybe it was five.)

Today I saw a story about a 10-year old girl from Colorado who scaled Cap with her dad. It took them five days.

Why the huge difference in time?

Jamie
  10. UngaWunga

UngaWunga Mosquito bait

Oddometer:
    Skill and level of risk.
    GoGoGavin41 likes this.
  11. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
    Honnold climbed without the associated logistics of ropes and overnighting stuffs (food, water, vertical camping equipment). Getting those things, and yourself, up the mountain takes a lot of up and down, as well as physically pulling the gear up (called hauling).
  12. GoGoGavin41

Oddometer:
  13. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    That and a lot more. She climbed a different route. That said Alex Honnold and Tommy Caldwell did The Nose the route the girl did in under 2 hours, which is the record. The average "Joe" or "Jane" take 2-3 days to do it with hauling. More and more skilled climbers do a NIAD (Nose In A Day) as it does not require a haul bag, and other stuff.
  14. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
  15. ChairmanMaose

ChairmanMaose OneLessCar

Oddometer:
    I loved the scene during Honnold's accent when he was walking on a ledge to get to the next pitch, there was a climber just waking up wearing a unicorn onesie. Then the scene edits to a guy looking through a telescope, (I'm paraphrasing) "I never thought I'd see the day when I saw a onesie on El-Cap."
    Chillis likes this.
  16. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bumping this thread to admit my naïveté.

Thanks to some helpful responses in this thread, I understand climbing a lot more than I used to. I have to admit that until very recently, I thought climbing meant putting a rope at the top and climbing the rope. I mean, who could/would actually climb the rock?

I even went climbing in a gym once. But I have to admit, I was sick, I went with the friend of a friend, I wasn’t terribly interested. And I guess I didn’t get it. But now after asking some questions here, I understand.

No, I’m still not interested in climbing, but now I understand why people are.

Well... if you’re ever climbing in Clear Creek Canyon, there’s half a chance I’ll pass by. I drive through there all the time.

Jamie
    GoGoGavin41 and RichBeBe like this.
  17. Ridge

Ridge Faster than farm equipment... Supporter

Oddometer:
    EddyJ12 likes this.
  18. Schmeds

Schmeds supportive

Oddometer:
    Oh man. Meeemoriiieees. Three Pines was my first trad lead.
  19. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    My favorite route to take newer climbers up. Great exposure, and they sometimes get to get freaked out by people doing the Dangler.
  20. SnipTheDog

SnipTheDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say give it another chance. I used to climb the indoor walls to support my job setting up telecommunications links. I just needed to know the right harness setup, knots, and some technique to keep myself from falling. There are people in the gym that make difficult climbs look so easy.