Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    6BE18CCC-ADBD-4690-AE1E-A8DD326C83AF.jpeg

I started a blog in 2014 about my 2006 Vespa GT (Rocket) and our adventures.

The scooter collection has grown, but Rocket remains the favorite so the name remains.

These trips have included three Scooter Cannonball Runs, two Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000’s, around 25 Oyster Tours three VCdM European Scooter trips, several MP3 Gatherings and literally hundreds of club and personal rides.

But the blog is very isolated and gets very few page views and comments.

I have slowed the frequency of posts due to this, plus the Russians appear to be looking more than anyone some days, probably up to no good.

Eric has a popular thread here as The Virginian’s Meanderings. And there are more.

I would like to move it here as I like this site.

Modern Vespa has almost died to me as it has been taken over by a group that doesn’t speak to me. I am WLeuthold there.

It is better here.

So, just asking. Would it be OK?

You can check it out by clicking: http://billleuthold.blogspot.com

Bill
    Electrical, LM15, Smaug1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb

However, I do not see a highlighted link to click
    The Virginian likes this.
  3. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Bueller and The Virginian like this.
  4. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm all in and look forward towards your adventures past and present!

Eric
    sealsam and Bueller like this.
  5. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you found it! I thought I had put the link in the signature years ago, but didn’t check while writing this piece.

The photo was taken in Hyder, Alaska the day before starting the 2014 Scooter Cannonball Run.

The first five days of that run were the coolest scooter days of my life.

Canadian Rockies, Jasper, Banff, US Rockies, friendships made, what fun!

Rocket and I found ourselves in the lead after riding hard and fast after those days, a lead we held until the variator broke in Arkansas.

Bill
    Bueller likes this.
  6. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you here. Your meanderings will be interesting to read about. MV can be a strange place sometimes!
    CashCow likes this.
  7. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've followed and checked(an enjoyed) the blog regularly, but hadn't commented. You'd certainly reach a far bigger audience here. Eric also posts some of his content on a sport-touring board. I know the Virginian (as well as Klaviator) post on the Maxi-Scoots board also, and we'd love to have you onboard(no pun intended) there also. I'm sure Maggie and the crew would welcome the addition of you and your riding adventures. We even have a few members that are relatively close to you that are looking for adventures with other scooteristas!
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  8. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I read the entry from our trip to Key West. Great photos and commentary!
    The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I started my threads I thought long and hard about doing an actual blog like you and Conchooter do but opted to take the forum route. What Minimac referenced to on the other forums has very little traction. Almost no one even bothers to post a simple like or thumbs up yet there are thousands of views. ADV is the only platform that I have received in kind responses from many folks. Over the years they really do become my friends and I try to work my riding to meet many of them in my travels. Like you I tried on MV and just flat gave up, there's more banter on frivolous stuff that has nothing to do with riding then effort put into serious riding content like you do, same goes for sport-touring.org. It's almost to the point of why bother posting content...

There's a solid group of scooters riders that frequent Battle Scooters and enjoy reading about folks rides, adventures, mishaps, etc. Bill, I'm a piker compared to you on riding and your command of the English language is eloquent. Both traits I wish I possessed so I promise you that your adventures posted here will be well received and inspiring to many riders.

Just my .02¢

Eric
    blacktruck, igrip, BMWBUD and 10 others like this.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Eric!

I enjoy scooting more than anything else these days.

The rides and friendships developed over the past ten years or so have made my life so much richer.

Writing about them is rewarding too, and Battle Scooters feels right.

So I will give it a shot.

Here is a taste, the big ride with Bueller to visit Conchscooter in the Keys.

http://billleuthold.blogspot.com/2019/03/conchscooter.html

Bill
    igrip, MYUMPH, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  11. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I think that’s very accurate. For the record, I’m a poseur. I have a reputation to uphold. Don’t soil it by lumping me in with these folks.
    The Virginian, minimac and CashCow like this.
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    XRangerRides and The Virginian like this.
  13. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good stuff!
    CashCow likes this.
  14. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    You are a rider!
    Bill
  15. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I may make one more suggestion, I would post your pics and copy & paste your narrative in your thread. As a rule of thumb when folks do moto vlogs or redirect to their blogs the thread gets very little traction. IMO folks want to only open one link (the original) and see/read about your adventures. I think it's more of 'they trust' this site vs. clicking a foreign link to them. I'll hush and quit polluting your thread.

Bon chance on poisson d'avril (good luck starting in April Fool's Day) :1drink

Eric
    Shin1ichi2002, sealsam and klaviator like this.
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you again Eric.

That is my plan but I thought I would let people know what it was like before I restart here.

Bill
    The Virginian likes this.
  17. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said. The Forum is IMO a much better venue to do ride reports than in a blog. The main reason for this is that a forum is a more of a conversation vs the blog which is just a lecture. ADV has the best software for ride reports of all the forums I have been on. Posting pics is easy and there are all kinds of emoji's to help people with limited writing ability like me.

Also, as Eric posted, most people don't want to click on another link. If they do click on it it isn't as easy to leave feedback in the form of a like button or a reply. If I click on a ride report and see that it's just links to somewhere else I seldom bother reading it.

I have made many friends through my ride reports or through theirs. I do my ride reports in the ride reports section vs battle scooters partly because I also ride motorcycles and partly to show non scooter riders how capable scooters are. Many do their ride reports here in battle scooters and you will get more response from the scooter riders here, many of whom don't venture outside of battle Scooters.
    pmillar, sealsam, MYUMPH and 2 others like this.
  18. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CCow, I've a question? I know that you love and own several GT's and one of them was once owned by Driller. Is this Rocket or one of your others?
    One thing I will say regarding your thread. If the thread has lots of pictures but no captions to go with them I tend to loose interest rather quickly. I would much rather look at pictures that have some info with them.
    klaviator and CashCow like this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The GT I bought from Driller is a 2005 model that was intended to supplement the aging Rocket.

It had just over 6000 miles on it when I acquired it.

It got ridden a lot for a few years but has had troubles of its own.

But it is good right now with 28,500 miles. Still beautiful.

Shortly after the purchase, my two children were in town. I had decided to rename it Enzo, but they came up with Razzo (Italian for Rocket).

I agree with the captioning of photos. I like to know about them and almost always put descriptions on my shots.

Bill
    87112 likes this.
  20. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple pictures of Razzo before CashCow became owner. These were taken during MaxiScoots rally at Cumberland falls SP in Ky. 2013.
    022.JPG 001.JPG