Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill,

I've lurked on your blogspot many many times, it's amazing the quality and type of riding you've done, always a joy following your adventures.

Welcome to your new home! Small world we have here in Battle Scooters, but some pretty darn good quality, of course I can't add to that, but you east coast folks are sure knocking it out of the park!

Welcome Bill!!
  2. conchscooter

conchscooter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearly you will do what you are driven to do and this page is your answer to recording your outings.
    I write a blog because it is my diary. I do it because I am compelled from within. It is my page and it gives me pleasure to record those things that will jog my memory.
    To do it for any other reason would be a chore.
    As soon as I start riding again the excessively long thread here will be complete and I shall lose interest in it. Most of my rides are not compelling, they are routine which is how I like to use motorcycles in my life, as a replacement for the banality of driving a car. I started my blog in 2007 to record my Vespa ownership as I was excited to have another opportunity to own a Vespa. Naturally the riding became boring to record as my rides are banal and then the GTS became a mechanical bore and liability and I replaced it with much sadness. That I got a completely dependable and versatile Bonneville in its place eased the pain. And the log droned on.
    Battle Scooters is the forum that breaks the stereotype for me. I am leary of of fora as they seem to bring out the worst in contributors but this page has been, with hiccoughs, the exception. I think you will do well here.
    Modern Vespa has always been a place of discomfort for me and after Judi the den mother died I felt no compunction at all about forgetting it’s existence. I am not nearly cool or supercilious enough for that page. Nor patient enough for its laborious photo uploads.
    Now you must post vigorously and frequently and join Eric and Jim and Sam and ...and...and...see you on the road. 6B8D5BA4-138A-4A0F-9A47-D1B912D988B9.jpeg
    CROSSBOLT, Wentwest, kpinvt and 4 others like this.
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    A face only a mother could love.

Bill
  4. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride on! Please keep up the posts. Thanks for doing this.
    The Virginian likes this.
  5. gizmo309

gizmo309 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been here much more than on Modernvespa too. What is going on over there? Today, it seems to be down completely. The "community" feel seems to have slipped away. I have been there since the beginning. I like the fact that it is much more diverse here.

Time to get my BV ready for the riding season. Still cold here but I'm getting stir crazy.

Bob
    Wentwest, CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  6. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard! I like your blog. Not a lot of scooter-specific blog out there. Also why I like this forum.
    The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have thoroughly enjoyed MV over the years.

It has led to many of my best adventures.

But it has gradually changed for the worse.

It appears to be dominated now by five or six individuals.

And I don't particularly like what they have to say.

I have found a better home here. More scooters, less crap.

MV does appear to be down today.

Without Jess it may stay that way.

Bill
  8. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    I agree about mv. 2 or 3 posters are becoming too agressive or intimidating in their comments,many which are not scooter or even topic related, and appear to be pushing some kind of personal agendas. Just myopinion.
    CashCow likes this.
  9. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jesse is still monitoring MV as his pPost explaining why it was down and how he dealt with the Alibaba attack.

Judy is definitely missed on MV. There is more than one person I ignore the and many threads I don't read but you can say the same thing about this forum. A few people have gotten a bit full of themselves but that too happens many places. I still check scholarly though I do not post as often as I used to there but it is still much better than some other forums I have abandoned
    kantuckid likes this.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    RMBS1
    My first post for Rocket & Me on Battle Scooters.

I think I will start by discussing the most influential group that has led to so much scooting in my last ten years.

That is the 7 Bridges Scooter Club.

According to the statistics accumulated by Russ Dixon, the gentle leader of the club, we must ride more than almost any other club in the world.

He keeps track of every ride, dinner and gathering. He puts into his XL spreadsheet everyone who attended, where we went and how far we rode.

We tend to ride 10,000 to 15,000 miles every year. Russ rides in almost all of them. I ride most of them but have so many other trips and vacations that I have missed many the past few years.

Russ gave me a plaque recently saying I had ridden in 500 group rides. He is probably over 800 by now.

The club started as Boris and the Funky Bunch, led by Boris Loose. Boris owned a scooter shop and took care of everyone's scooters.

Back then it was mostly vintage with several riders participating in loosely organized events.

By the time I joined, ten years ago this month, Modern Vespas had gotten to be a larger group and a few maxi scooters participated.

Now it is mostly Maxis with a few large frame Vespas and only Russ with his P200 and Stella still riding shifties.

When I joined I had two scooters. Rocket, then with only around 8000 miles and my Malaguti Ciak 50 with a broken odometer, but probably around the same 8000.

I currently have four running scooters. Rocket is up to 89,000 miles. I have put 22,000 on Razzo and around 10,000 on Vanessa (currently with a blown engine). In six months of ownership of Max, my 2018 Yamaha Xmax, I am already at 7500 miles. Sold is another GT that I put around 10,000 miles on and an unloved Honda NC700X that I sold with over 20,000 miles. I acquired a 1965 Lambretta Li125 four years ago but have never gotten it right. It is being sold this weekend to vintage enthusiast John Largey, so it will be in good hands. And I just got a 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 that is awaiting title transfer. Already put 100 miles on that one last weekend.

Shortly after starting with the club, I decided to hitch up with two members, Sue and Tim, and take some long rides.

We went on several 300+ mile rides around North Florida and South Georgia.

Soon, the others wanted to come with us, so the number of riders on the big rides grew.

In April, 2011, we took the first long, multi day ride. This one to Brevard, NC for riding around the mountains.

The club takes two long rides per year now. These have included the Natchez Trace Parkway, North Carolina, Virginia, North Georgia, Key West, Apalachicola and Pensacola among other destinations. We are heading to North Carolina in a few weeks.

The club has two rides scheduled every week. Tuesdays are short rides to dinner destinations. The weekend rides are usually on Sunday and now cover 50 to 150 miles. The 300 mile rides are a thing of the past. Summer weekend rides are now often breakfast rides to avoid the afternoon heat. Russ added a twice a month Thursday ride for the retired set and that one has become one of the most attended.

Riding with the club got me started doing my one of my favorite things, long jaunts through the countryside with a fun destination.

I can't thank Russ enough for keeping this club going, and growing.

Bill

Bill on Scooter.jpg
    Me on Rocket on our first ride to North Carolina in 2011.

IMG_1012.JPG Much of the group on another North Carolina ride in 2013

IMG_1460.JPG For years, Boris' Oak Street warehouse was ground zero for the club. This is from the last ride out from the old home in February, 2016 after Boris had decided to move to Sanford for his work in Orlando.

IMG_8577.JPG
    Scooters in Apalachicola, at our favorite hotel, The Gibson. We ride them on all of these trips. Trailers are accepted but rarely used.
    LM15, pmillar, kpinvt and 9 others like this.
  11. ZigzagguzzI

Oddometer:
    Great post.
    CashCow likes this.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    CashCow likes this.
  13. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are lucky to have such an active group to ride with.

When are ya'll heading to North Carolina?
    minimac and CashCow like this.
  14. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Russ posts everything the club does on Facebook.

I know that Facebook is not for everyone, but it works very well for the club.

https://www.facebook.com/events/293828674654879/

We will be in Hayesville, NC on the nights of April 24 through 27. Most are staying in a house or the barn of a members mountain house. Others, me included, will be staying in a nearby hotel. I am almost certain that I am going, probably on Rocket.

Bill
    MiniBike likes this.
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    If it was a week later I might have joined you. I'm retiring the 27th. Have a good ride!
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    It would be cool if you could join us.

But there are more rides in the future.

I have met so many new friends through the forums and gatherings.

I hope we can visit soon.

Bill
    klaviator and minimac like this.
  17. klaviator

Oddometer:
    A couple of observations.

Based on the pic below I think most people would have guessed a bunch of Harley riders, not scooter trash:lol3

[​IMG]

I like open minded clubs. It looks like you don't discriminate against motorcycle riders. I see two in this next pic.

[​IMG]

I ride mostly with motorcycle riders but they are open minded and don't care what brand of motorcycle or scooter you ride.
    CROSSBOLT, kpinvt, Bueller and 2 others like this.
  18. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    As far as riders go, the club is mostly retired Navy guys these days.

I wish we had more women and a wider variety of races and ages, but it is what it is.

I still work.

Our rides usually have one or two motorcycles ride along. The only complaints I get as ride leader are that we ride too fast for them.

Bill
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Here is the beautiful Razzo this morning.

It still looks new, and after disconnecting the evap crap again, it is running like new too.

Bill IMG_7754.JPG
  20. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    The BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont welcomed me and my 2003 Honda Silver Wing with open arms in 2006. I was VP for 3 years and am now the Treasurer. We don't care what you ride or even if you own a bike. About 95% of the club rides BMW's. There are members who have downsized their fleet of bikes to a scooter or the BMW 310GS single cylinder bike. We have about 450 active members. We are always on the lookout for younger members, we don't want the club to die of old age.
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.