Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I need to hire you. I want my place to look just like one of those, but my budget might be a bit less :augie
    CashCow likes this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I would be happy to help you.

Just don't call until next summer.

Bill
  3. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    CashCow likes this.
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    5ADDA0BD-F880-4487-BE82-0865527DF619.jpeg My New Scooter(Almost)

Our Swiss friends stayed with us in June.

I let them use my Miata while here and one day we went for a scooter ride.

Ruedi loved it, so I saw an opportunity. I told him that if he bought a scooter in Switzerland, I would pay for half if I could use it while visiting.

Today he started sending WhatsApp messages, starting by telling me that he was ready for our next visit.

Then came the attached photo.

2015 Vespa 300 GTS.

And he likes it so much that he refused my payment offer. And added that we can use it for all of our VCdM trips!

Wow!!

Bill
  5. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    One more work story, then I will go quietly into the night.

I was visiting a client today when Ruedi started sending the scooter messages from above.

While there I was trying to leave, standing outside with the clients by the side road, when a Bentley SUV pulled up.

The clients started talking to the driver, an older woman.

They asked her if she knew their architect, me, and started to introduce me.

She had never heard of me but I didn't know who she was either.

She asked what I had designed in the area as they were telling me who she was.

When I heard her name, I was pleased to tell her that one of the houses I had designed was her house.

It was designed for the previous owners.

She had changed much of it after buying the house, but the basic house was intact.

One of those things that happen when you have worked in the same area for 40 years.

Bill
  6. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Hi Doug,
    One thing I have not done my entire life is hang out with architects. I prefer to spend time with scooterists.
    So I don't know your brother, but I do know that he is lucky to live in such a nice city.
    I have gotten to know St. Petersburg by visiting Ken and Walt frequently.
    It is a great town.
    Bill
    The Virginian likes this.
  8. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He and his wife spent about 4 years on their boat . They did the great loop and spent a little time in the Bahamas.
    They had a condo in downtown , but the noise was too much so they bought a sort of project house in the Pink streets neighborhood.
    He kept a boat for a while , but never used it much so it sold recently.
    We like St Pete a lot, it is so different from south Tampa where we lived for a long time. So much fun going on in St.Pete all the time.
    CashCow likes this.
  9. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    Generosity has its rewards.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    F3C6FB3D-DE89-46FA-A863-D51A10B96AE6.jpeg 72A8AAD9-4DCC-44F2-85ED-53D7D6ABACFE.jpeg
    Rocket on a wood bridge while riding solo
    IMG_2675.JPG New guy Phil
    IMG_2685.JPG
    Today the 7 Bridges Scooter Club had their weekend ride, to Stan’s Smokehouse in Woodbine, Ga.

There were 12 or 13 riders at Krispy Kreme when I arrived on Rocket.

We headed north with a promise of taking some back roads, but when the ride leader rode past the two turns that headed to the better ride, I decided that I would ride solo to Stan’s.

I arrived there at 10:30 and found nobody there.

There was a tag for a barber shop, so I found one in Kingsland, 12 miles south, so I went for that and returned to Woodbine. Still nobody there, so I went ahead and ordered my rib plate.

Then they arrived. Their delay was due to a bridge out on CR121 that I had avoided as I saw a warning as I headed that way in Callahan.

So I dined with everyone.

We had a new rider among the group today. Phil from Amelia Island.

I wanted to ride down A1A to get home and he rode with me to the ferry before turning back to home. Seemed like a good guy.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    8200138D-6EF0-4C04-B5C4-2CCEA09F54F3.jpeg Sarah wants to ride!

Today, Sarah said that she was ready to try riding a scooter.

We picked the Zuma and Florida State College Jacksonville as the scooter is the lightest and the school has a huge, empty parking lot on Sundays.

She rode around for twenty minutes and did well.

I think she likes it.
    wbdvt, The Virginian, minimac and 7 others like this.
  12. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO

Oddometer:
    That is great. She looks good on that bike.

Eyes Up!
    The Virginian, CashCow and klaviator like this.
  13. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    That is exciting! It opens up a lot of new adventures when you can both have fun riding! :clap
  14. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    1CDC19C3-FC37-4656-80E3-B6936596334C.jpeg Poor Maizy

One of our dogs, Maizy, has had eye trouble for the past year. Her right eye has gotten worse with glaucoma and today’s the day we take her to a veterinarian to remove the eye. We don’t like doing it but it must be the best thing for her as we’re fearful that the bad eyes causing her pain.

Hopefully, she still has a few good years left.
  15. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    That is tough. Our furry family members depend on us for their care. Wishing Maizy and her family all the best.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear this. I hope all goes well.
  17. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Hope Maizy pulls through without issue. Dogs are amazing. They adapt to challenges so much easier and better than humans!
  18. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Out of surgery. All went well.

She will be Maizy Left Eye Lopes to me from now on.

Bill
    wbdvt, CaptnJim, DandyDoug and 6 others like this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    DSC03904.JPG
    Me driving more than ten years ago at the road course at Gainesville Raceway. All of the lower plastic pieces are gone now as cones will damage these. I gave these wheels to a young driver who needed them more than I did.
    IMG_1964.jpg
    Until a few years ago, stock classes could run DOT legal slick racing tires. I resisted for years but dove in and found that they improved my times significantly. These tires would last maybe one season, just a few hundred miles. I was pleased when the SCCA went to requiring street tires as the cost dropped and I didn't have to change all four wheels two times at each event. Currently running Bridgestone RE71 tires that are almost as good as the slicks.

Going Racing!

Scootering took over my leisure time years ago, but what it changed was my motoring fun from racing in autocross events to long rides on one of my scooters.

For years I did both well but got a little tired of getting only five or six runs in the autocross while taking the entire day to be part of the event. Summers were brutal.

I ran every Jax Solo event from 2007 through around 2014.

Each year I would win the class title and twice finished second in the overall PAX (handicapped to car performance potential).

The PAX result was due mostly to the fastest drivers not competing in enough events to qualify for the overall title, but it was rewarding anyway.

I am an average to above average driver. There are a few guys out there who would beat me by two seconds driving my car, but I can at least compete and have fun.

I signed up for the event this Saturday. I will be driving my trusty 1999 Mazda Miata 10 AE.

After missing most of the last several years, I entered two races early this year. In the first one I was 3rd in class and 16th overall out of 54 in PAX. The second was better, winning my class and finishing 10th out of 64 in PAX. Then scooter trips took over.

Now it is fall, so I thought it to be a good time to try it again.

I busted out the Miata for a test spin and boy, that is a fun car to drive...expecially fast.

Wish me luck,

Bill
  20. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I sure miss mine...
    CashCow likes this.