Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did some car racing in the past , but the dollar value to time spent was too much for me at least.
    A guy that worked for me turned me on to motorcycle road racing.
    We found it could be done for the better part of a season vs what it cost to be even marginally competitive in a car for two to three weekends.
    I still think about trying autocross again, but I would need to do it with an automatic gear box or at least paddle shifters. Do they even have a class for that ??
    Nice to see you doing it so well after the time away. I guess if your a good driver it sticks with you , just a little rust around the edges that i'm sure you can polish up quickly. Good on ya :bow
    Wentwest, klaviator and CashCow like this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Ummm.....Just registered for the 2020 Scooter Cannonball Run.

Not sure if I will ride it, totally depending on route and support, but I am tempted.

Rocket is the scooter of choice. so far.

If I get serious, I will probably buy a Yamaha Smax.

Bill
    everytimeidom, wbdvt, Bueller and 2 others like this.
  3. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've got almost 600 miles on our new Smax. I'll be changing the oils for the 2nd time, any day now when it's officially broke in.
    Added a large trunk, and expecting the tall Givi windshield to arrive tomorrow.
    We're liking this little beast. It sure is fun to drive.
    The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    0AB5D71B-6337-4D3F-ABCD-2CA5F1FDF82E.jpeg Couldn’t resist this photo opportunity on the way to the SCCA Autocross. It is a beautiful morning in North Florida.
    wbdvt, klaviator, Trucker jay and 7 others like this.
  5. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I'm beginning to think lots of scooterists have a relationship with Miatas. I have a 2002 SE in laser blue metallic that's completely stock. I don't race it, it's just for Sunday drives to Wine Country and rainy days in the Winter. All in all, about 3,000 miles a year, maybe. The most reliable car I've ever owned, and I had it for almost 15 years now.
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    83BC5692-CCDB-4FA1-A269-1AB06CA8A415.jpeg AEBF096F-3ACB-41EB-ABA1-72E38B9C409A.jpeg Yes, I know of several scooter riders who also have or had Miatas.

I bought mine, a 1999 10th Anniversary Edition in March 2007 for $7,500. It had 92,000 miles on it then, 145,000 now so around 4500 per year. I ran it in every local autocross until around 2015. Only a few per year now, so it mostly sits in my office garage.

But it makes me happy every time I bust it out. It is so fun to drive.

Today, the course setup didn’t suit me well. Too tight and technical. I shifted into second and stayed there. It hit the rev limiter a couple of times per run, but that is only 54 mph, so too slow for my taste.

I finished third out of six in class ( one guy in a very stock looking Miata beat me by over two seconds). In PAX, I was 12th out of 46, so a better result than I thought. I never felt fast.

I think I would have preferred to be riding a scooter.

Bill
  7. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to be careful reading this thread.
    Wife wrecked her car recently so we are a one car , one Vespa family at the moment.
    The evil conniving side of me is saying, maybe she will like driving the RX350 ,and I can get a fun car :wings
    The practical side say's , Nope , never going to happen :bluduh :amazon
    klaviator, The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  8. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    There does seem to be a correlation between Miatas and scooters. My Miata is a 1995 NA which I purchased four years ago from the original owner with 58,000 miles. You know I just purchased a 2020 Vespa 300 HPE Touring this year. While you were out auto crossing today, I took my grandson as my copilot/navigator/observer on the Indy Miata club road rally in the Bloomington area of Indiana. Lots of hills and curves. It was a spur of the moment event and only 15 cars were entered. The club has 99 cars total. Anyway it was a 7 AM to 7:30 PM day for me, with about 300 total miles. The observational rally part was only 70 miles. We placed fifth out of 15, missed one observation. Great fun. AD347F9F-5D0F-4613-9677-65F32EAC303E.jpeg C23BC4A8-2CC1-472B-9FFD-AE104324A775.jpeg B8BDBB25-9475-4FE6-A9E5-90F3633EE5FF.jpeg
  9. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    Mazda nailed it with that "Zoom, zoom" slogan a few years ago. It's the same with a scooter. My Miata has 53,000 miles on it. I'm not selling, don't ask. Why sell it?
    CashCow, klaviator and kpinvt like this.
  10. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    I had a Miata that I bought after tiring of my "$1,500 Porsche 928"... no, it wasn't a $1,500 car, but every time it needed a trip to the dealer, the bill was $1,500. In comparison, the Miata was as trouble-free as a Timex watch. Other than the fact that the only place I could buy a battery for it was from the Mazda dealer (this was a lot of years ago, so that has probably changed). I traded the Miata in on a Saab turbo convertible. The Saab was a "grown-up's sports car": comfortable, roomy, insulated convertible top, and that turbo that was fun to put your foot into.

I drove a new style Miata when we were looking for a tow vehicle for the motorhome. Turned out that there was nothing in the Mazda line that was towable 4 wheels down, but I think the salesman saw "that look" in my eyes when we walked by a Miata. He said, "Give me a second," and came back with the keys to it.

I said, "Not what I'm looking for, but that is a gorgeous car."

He said, "Just take it for a ride." Well, it was hard to argue with that reasoning. :evil No, I didn't buy it, but it was an impressive little car (much improved over the 1990 Miata I had) and a lot of fun.

Thanks for allowing the reminisce.
    kpinvt, Wentwest, klaviator and 3 others like this.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    8F24154D-E063-4755-A64C-460B5574843A.jpeg Oil Change Day!

Rather than riding to St. Augustine for a noisy breakfast with the club, I decided that I would change the oil and filters on the three heavily used scooters in my fleet.

All three were due, and with some fun rides upcoming, the timing was perfect.

Nice, productive way to spend the morning.

Bill
    kpinvt, Wentwest, klaviator and 6 others like this.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    No moss under those scoots! :D
    CashCow likes this.
  13. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    01C03BB4-862E-4FE3-BF14-F1EBB10E3D4F.jpeg CashCow

The name started here.

A defunct convenience store sourth of Macclenny, Florida. It was closed when I first saw it ten years ago.

Now the building is demolished, but the sign remains.
    fledermaus55, Hakatan, kpinvt and 6 others like this.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to say no you won't mistakes Smax as Xmax. As for me my plan is to be a tourist as I doubt I'll ever better my 6th place in 2016. Especially since I will be on a GTS 300
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I finally took the paperwork to the DMV to get the Yamaha Zuma title transferred.

Well, the previous owner couldn't find the title and the DMV people didn't like the scanned title title form.

So they denied me, saying I have to get an original, signed copy, or the seller present, so they can move forward.

I left, but got thinking on the ride back to the office.

I had the registration from a tag renewal five years ago, so I turned around and went back.

They said I could renew the tag, so I did.

Then I called my insurance company to see if I could insure the scooter. They said I could.

So now it is legal for street use. The only issue is that it is not in my name, leaving the previous owner possibly liable should a terrible thing happen.

But he does have a signed bill of sale, and I would never cause him any issues.

I asked if he could sign an original, send it to me so I could get his title to use to get it transferred to me.

It will probably take a while as he lives in Australia.

But I can now ride legally.

Bill
  16. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, you can always do the VT registration for a year and then transfer it as VT does not need a title for under 300 cc.
    The Virginian, kpinvt and CashCow like this.
  17. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Clever idea, Barry, but I am OK with the way it is going.

I should have the title within a few months while having a legal scooter in the meantime.

Bill
    Wentwest likes this.
  18. Akais

Akais Ride Hi-Viz

Oddometer:
    Bill
    You’re correct to wait for the title, the VT registration only works if the bike has never been registered in Florida. If it has a Florida title in its history, DMV will see that and make you get it signed. They will however take your money to renew the tag forever.
    CashCow likes this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have been totally looking forward to riding to Pensacola for Jami ad Randy Sanderson's Unrally 7.

Last night, I mentioned it to Sarah and she said that it is the same weekend that Kylie is coming home for a wedding.

Attending the Unrally means I will ride to Pensacola on Thursday, spend three nights and return Sunday.

Kylie will be coming home Friday and flying back to NY on Tuesday. The wedding is on Saturday.

My first thought was to cancel, but I am now thinking that I will go on Thursday, let Sarah have Kylie Friday night and Saturday morning, and I will return Saturday.

Then I can enjoy both.

Bill

Kylie.JPG
    kpinvt, CaptnJim, Wentwest and 4 others like this.
  20. wbdvt

wbdvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a winning plan!
    CashCow likes this.