Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Win win!
    kpinvt and CashCow like this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Steinhatchee

I wasn't going to ride on the 7 Bridges Scooter Club ride to Apalachicola and Steinhatchee this weekend, but the weather is great and they will be spending Saturday night in Steinhatchee, so I came up with a ride.

I will ride my bicycle early in the morning. Then mow my lawn. Then hop on one of the scooters and ride to get lunch at Salt Creek Restaurant in Suwannee. They have the best Oyster Stew and Fried Mullet around. From there I will ride up to Steinhatchee to meet the gang. There we will have dinner at Roy's...more good seafood.

I will probably skip the group ride to Cedar Key and head home Sunday morning.

Riding to the Gulf of Mexico is one of my favorite things to do these days.

Bill
    minimac, wbdvt, Bueller and 4 others like this.
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    0DF9B49A-713A-475A-B914-6DC9AC1DD23D.jpeg
    We’re off!
    BF1C755D-40CE-4407-8F0E-1E3FC2CE73E3.jpeg
    A stop at one of my favorite local roads.
    73F5338C-E51C-4A54-85C8-D4BAF7C09030.jpeg
    At the restaurant in Suwannee for Mullet and Oyster Stew. IMG_0548.JPG
    Then I met up with the others in Steinhatchee.
  4. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The group we rode with out of Tampa went up to Cedar Key several times, Steinhatchee was always a good ride.
    I miss those early Sunday morning rides some days.
    CashCow likes this.
  5. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    A little more about the ride.

I chose Max as it is the fastest and most reliable of my scooters.

It continues to await an opening at ACE Vintage Motorcycle Repair for the new belt and back tire, but I thought I would finish getting my money's worth out of both.

So I rode 340 miles and still have a little tread on the back tire. It is at 9000 miles now.

The weather was perfect and it turned out to be a great ride for me.

I met up with the gang at the hotel in Steinhatchee. Good Times Marina and Hotel, across the river from downtown but a fun place.

The hotel has a porch on the river side that is perfect for hanging out. They also sell cans of beer for between $1 and $2, so that is cheap too.

We then went to Roy's for dinner. It has the feel of a Red Lobster, large and clean, but the food is all fresh and well prepared.

We wondered how such a restaurant works in such a small town, but the many large, expensive boats we noticed returning in the afternoon let us know that there was plenty of money coming in. I had fried shrimp that came with the salad bar and baked potato. A fine place.

The coolest part of the meal though was that the sun was setting. Everyone got plenty of photos of that.

Good Times is named properly. They have a huge screened in room next to where we hung out. It was full and a live band was playing everything from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Nervana to country favorites.

We had breakfast together at the Bridge End Cafe, then I headed home alone as I enjoy solo rides better than group rides these days.

When I left, Garmin said I would arrive at home at 12:24. I cut 44 minues of that 130 mile trip time and arrived at 11:38. A little Cannonball test, like most of my rides.

And on 98, shortly after leaving breakfast, Max crossed 15,000 miles. I have had it just a week more than a year now. It is a good one.

Bill

IMG_0531.JPG Lunch at Salt Creek. Fried Mullet, Oyster Stew and Cheese Grits.

IMG_0555.JPG View from the porch at Good Times.
    IMG_0558.JPG The sun setting at Roy's.

IMG_0566.JPG
    Our little gang, led by Russ. He organized a very nice ride.
  6. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking, I wonder just how many scooter riders there are in Fl. ?
    With the age demographic I would think there are many more than we might think.
    Wish there was a way to contact them and get them on this and other forum's.

I have seen a black Vespa in my area ( Winston Salem, Nc.) but can never catch up with the rider to say hello . We always seem to be going in opposite directions and I am in the shop van.
    sealsam and CashCow like this.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    There aren't as many as you might think.

And organizing them is like herding cats sometimes.

Russ Dixon does all of the work of organizing the 7 Bridges Scooter Club, and he does a masterful job.

The club riders are all old and their machines are now almost all maxi scoots with a few cruiser motorcycles thrown in.

A good group, but it wouldn't be a group at all if it wasn't for Russ.

I am heading to Pensacola on Thursday to hang out at the Unrally there. More Florida scooter riders to see along with several from Alabama and Louisiana.

I think that if they wanted to participate here that they would have found it by now.

Bill
  8. DandM

DandM Long timer

Oddometer:
    We're in the Lake Placid, Sebring, Avon Park area.
    If anyone is heading up/down/over this way, give us a shout.
    minimac, The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  9. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I meet my friend Ken in Avon Park a couple of times a year.

We stay at the Jacaranda and dine at 18 East across the street, along with the local taquerias and breakfast places.

The rides are not bad, we usually do a loop of Lake Okeechobee or go to things happening at Sebring Raceway.

I will let you know next time we come that way.

Bill
    The Virginian and DandM like this.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I just received this from Russ.

It shows his skills at organizing and record keeping.

Every club needs a Russ.

This past weekend was our Florida Gulf Tour to Apalachicola, Steinhatchee and Cedar Key. 16 folks participated in all or part of this ride, which covered 750 miles in 4 days/3 nights. We had a great combination of seasoned overnight riders and first-timers with the club.

This was the 26th overnight/long distance club ride since 2011. Since then, we have covered 24,075 miles on these trips, with a per-ride average of 926. Collectively we were on the road for 118 days and 92 nights. 86 folks have participated in these rides, or 11 folks per event.

6 folks have managed to go on at least 50% of these rides over the years: Russ Dixon, Charlie Riley, Bill Leuthold, Tom Rogerson, Elaina Massey and Bobby O'Brien. We missed Charlie and Tom on this one!

Our thanks to everyone for making these rides so successful. Next step: Plan for 2020!

Russ Dixon
    wbdvt, kpinvt, sealsam and 4 others like this.
  11. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a local scooter club around here. If I didn't post stuff it would be almost completely dead. Only one guy in the club ever goes out on rides. On the other hand a couple of guys on the local motorcycle forum recently bought scooters and they do ride. Occasionally see scooters around town but I think they are just used for transportation.

What's the story on the Unrally?
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Win, This one is UnRally7. Jami wrote about it in Facebook. Should you not use Facebook, it is planned rides on Friday and Saturday with dinners and gatherings planned Thursday night along with Friday and Saturday. I have been to two. There will be 30 to 50 attending and they are all cool.
    Bill
  13. byee

byee Long timer

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE] View attachment 1942337 Lunch at Salt Creek. Fried Mullet, Oyster Stew and Cheese Grits.[/QUOTE]

The meal looks delicious!
    CashCow likes this.
  14. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Win- since I'll be about 1100 miles closer this winter, we'll get together somewhere, too.
    CashCow, klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  15. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bill,

27,000 views on your thread and you started this thread March 31st this year! Like I said in the beginning, your meanderings are a treat to read and Battle Scooters is the perfect venue to host it. Well done sir and next ride a cold beverage is on me! :drink

Eric
  16. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ I second what Eric just posted!
  17. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    PS: With Bill's last post that's his 946th post! Hmmm... could be an omen for a future 946?! :hmmmmm:pope:rayof
  18. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:

It’s all because of me.
    CashCow, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all of you for contributing so much to my little thread.

It is a lot more fun to post my stuff here, where it gets read, than in the old blog.

Getting replies and interesting comments keeps me posting.

Off to the Pensacola UnRally tomorrow morning.

Bill
    sro99, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Posting pics/eye candy = views! :lol2
    Clubs, I found from experience, were built around the doers, even well intentioned civic clubs. After I'd been president, treasurer and secretary over and over again I finally quit "clubbing".
    Near Pensacola in Milton, FL- Boomerang Pizza in DT Milton, Blackwater Grill near the water, DT Milton and a 'family seafood place" that has great mullet caught from their own boat but cannot think of the name???
    In Sebring, FL follow the hordes of senior citizens to the great Thai place there on main hwy.-go early or wait in line!
    CashCow likes this.