1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The People You Meet on a Scooter Ride:

Riding anywhere with Ken is a real pleasure.

He is a good rider who leads exceptionally well.

He chooses great sites to visit and finds interesting places along the way.

But the best part about our rides is his infectious personality.

He has never met a stranger. Everyone quickly becomes a friend.

This happens everywhere we go.

IMG_1033.JPG
    This guy was the Deputy County Clerk at the Jefferson County Courthouse in Monticello. He came out to tell us that we couldn't park there and that a deputy would be coming right behind him. But after a minute he and Ken were best friends. He offered a guided tour after he had to complete a task, but we missed him inside.

IMG_1041.JPG
    A police officer at the Florida Supreme Courthouse in Tallahassee also told us we would have to move the scooters. But again he fell victim to Ken;s charm and turned out to be a nice fellow. We still had to move, but he told us where to park and that we could tour the building. But parking was a hastle and Tallahassee was our least favorite town today, so we headed to Crawfordville.

IMG_1052.JPG
    This lovely woman, Petra, worked in the Crawfordville Chamber of Commerce, housed in the old Wakulla County Courthouse in Crawfordville. She turned out to be from a small town in Germany where Ken was stationed after he served in Vietnam. Her husband headed the team that restored the only wood frame courthouse in Florida.

IMG_1057.JPG
    And this guy, Joe, gave us the most complete tour of any courthouse so far. He even let us take photos in the now unused holding cell. It makes for a great ride when it includes meeting so many nice people.
    kpinvt, cabanza, CaptnJim and 8 others like this.
  2. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    A little chilly this morning.

E16E9EE5-276B-495C-9854-1D6BE87AA8D3.jpeg
  3. minimac

minimac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice tale, but you neglected the real point of the trip---how were the oysters?? :) I'm just starting a fuel pump replacement on the Majesty, so hopefully I'll be ready to join you and Ken at some point on the next tour.
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  4. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frost in Fl. is always colder than almost anyplace I want to experience ever again. People who have lived there can attest to this.
    CashCow likes this.
  5. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill - I have a friend from Iowa coming to visit me here in Osteen the 12th thru the 17th. One of the things he wants to do is look at Jacksonville as a possible place to relocate. I will drive him up and give him a tour, but I don’t know anything about the city - especially compared to you. I wondered if you might be around/available to meet for lunch one day and give us some info?

Thanks!

@XPADREX
    CashCow likes this.
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Of course I will meet you guys for lunch. And a tour if it will help. Let me know when and where.
    Bueller likes this.
  7. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    41BEA3C6-E48C-4672-B206-8C7904E5607F.jpeg
    We had oysters tonight. Not the best, but they hit the spot.
    kpinvt and The Virginian like this.
  8. Bueller

Oddometer:
    We’re working on it. I’ll let you know :thumb
    CashCow likes this.
  9. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Would you be able to meet and play tour guide either Friday the 13th :yikes or Monday the 16th?
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Either should work.
    Bueller likes this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the FWIW courthouse category:
    I too enjoy an old building that breathes history, etc. but nearest city to us Lexington, KY went a bit overboard IMO, having spent-
    $$$ 32 million $$$ !:doh to
    renovate their old courthouse which is now rented out to retail space inside. Sometimes me thinks renovating a courthouse might cross the line of how to use taxpayers money?
    back to regular scoot talk...:-)
    CashCow likes this.
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Replacement Courthouses:

Ken and I are on another Courthouse Tour, this one officially Courthouse Tour #3.

It is the biggest yet with around 15 counties and their courthouses visited.

We are beginning Day 3 now in Crestview, just 60 miles from the tip of the Panhandle of Florida.

We will head west to Pensacola, then backtrack to Apalachicola to end the courthouse part of the ride.

One of the glaring facts of the trip, is that the modern courthouses suck in comparison to the historic ones.

They are replaced for a variety of reasons.

Mostly because the old one was too small for the growing county.

But yesterday we found that one was replaced because of black mold.

That and, I suspect, because someone made a lot of money building a new one.

The smart counties keep the old courthouse and build the new next door or across the street.

Here are some examples of how much better the old was than the new.

IMG_1111.JPG
    The new Jackson County Courthouse was the worst architecture I have seen yet.

IMG_1116.JPG
    It replaced this beauty in the 1970's. The architect of the awful new one was one of my mother's boyfriends when she was in high school in the early 1940's.

IMG_1119.JPG
    The new courthouse in Washingtom County. Not as bad as some and the courtrooms were quite nice.

IMG_1121.JPG
    But this one was so much nicer. I couldn't get a good photo of the picture because it was hiding behind the Christmas tree. This one was infested with black mold.
    kpinvt, klaviator and wbdvt like this.
  13. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    And some where the counties retained the original courthouse.

IMG_3303.JPG
    This is the only wooden courthouse in the state region. The county moved it twice, once to make way for the new one built in the 1940's, then again to this site where it is used as the offices of the chamber of commerce. It has been restored and is my favorite of the buildings seen so far.

IMG_1071.JPG
    The new courthouse was built in the 1940,s and was decent architecture until a third floor was added in the 1960's. Now it is a dog.

IMG_3381.JPG
    The Walton County Courthouse is the first design using Greek Doric architecture and I liked it a lot.

IMG_3394.JPG
    Rather than tear it down when the county needed more space, they added on in a way to not detract from the original design.
    kpinvt, cabanza, wbdvt and 3 others like this.
  14. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    01DD8CBC-CD1E-496B-8F28-A74F9072DC15.jpeg

We are enjoying happy hour in the bar in the Gibson across from the Franklin County Courthouse in Apalachicola.

We visited 17 panhandle courthouses, and in some, we stopped by the old and the replacement.

We even saw one today that was abandoned when the county seat moved thirty miles away.
  15. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    More oysters. These were so good that we ordered a second dozen.

D446944C-53EC-43A0-B498-44DF59840495.jpeg
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Ken and I had a great day riding and dining tonight in Apalachicola.

The riding was good for Florida riding. Except for riding east on 98 from Pensacola.

The first 50 miles were terrible,

The highlight of the day was when Ken told me that he had found that a County Courthouse was built in Wewahitchka.

After it was built, the county seat was moved to Port St. Joe and a new (awful) courthouse was built there.

We found the old one in the little town.

It wasn't where Ken's gps told him, so I rode around and found it.

It wasn't hard as it was, by far, the predominant building in the little town.

We found it open and nobody there.

So we walked around and found a huge courtroom on the second floor.

We pretended to be judge and all that.

Definitely the find of the day...that and the great restaurant we found across from the GIbson in Apalachicola.

Bill

ADFF0499-8134-452B-B34B-E8F83D9E86BD.jpeg
    Beautiful building dominating the small town. It is a big, white elephant for the town as they apparently have no use for it.

39B229A4-FAC4-4B5F-8735-F61F8C3F992C.jpeg
    Big windows in the huge courtroom

E3BBA420-16C0-4904-AB44-6CA6AE98E104.jpeg
    Judge Lostboater
  17. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love these posts Bill and Ken, they are a ray of sunshine on a cold day for me.

Eric
    CashCow, CaptnJim and klaviator like this.
  18. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the commentary and pics. Sure would be fun to do an Oyster or Courthouse or other tour with you guys! Thanks for the nice sunny pics as I watch the snow fall.
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Made it home.

Ken and I had a great time.

Seeing Jim and Grace in White Springs was nice as usual.

We had comfortable hotels each night and the food was good.

We saw 22 active Courthouses and several that were abandoned or adapted to other uses. We have now seen 31 of the 67 County Courthouses in the state.

We met one judge, a couple of county clerks and lots of security officers and bailiffs. One thing to know, they were all nice and accommodating.

Rocket ran 900 miles in five days flawlessly.

It is a great machine, now just under 94,000 miles.

060417C9-93CC-4BD2-A9D0-EA2C5557DF71.jpeg
    Franklin County Courthouse this morning in Apalachicola.

9173A416-5FED-4A91-8612-8C8E70435888.jpeg
    Lafayette County Courthouse in Mayo, where the Clerk of the Court gave us a tour. No security in this one.

162FF309-3822-4EF2-8EE3-FBBB47960184.jpeg
    Suwanee County Courthouse in Live Oak, where we got a tour by one of the security officers. He told us about the bell in the clock tower.

0C735053-92CA-4588-AD76-224253C0DC77.jpeg
    Our last stop. Columbia County Courthouse in Lake City. The best renovation and addition yet. We got to see the courtroom where Ted Bundy was convicted.
    kpinvt, CaptnJim, Bueller and 3 others like this.
  20. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Great read Bill, thanks! One day back in Ohio and I’m missing the area already.

I am planning to meet you for lunch and a tour on Monday the 16th. I’m sure you know of a good place and will defer to your recommendation. We will be driving, of course.

Thanks again!