Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8730.JPG IMG_8734.JPG We were out seeing art museums with friends today.

Saw two new Rockets, so I will share.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    I had a plastic rocket toy when I was a kid. You put water in it up to a line, then hooked it up to a hand air pump and pumped the air space up pretty hard, aimed it up (and so the water blast nailed your brother, of course) and released it. In my memory it looked like the second photo. So I looked it up and found a picture - the Internet is wonderful. Not nearly as sleek as I remember, but it sure did soak my brother. Served him right.

Water-Rockets1.jpg
    Dan V., The Virginian, BMWBUD and 4 others like this.
  3. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a plastic rocket toy when I was a kid. ..

Those were the best.
    CashCow likes this.
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I had one of these as well.

Great toys.

Actually taught you something.

Bill
    kpinvt and The Virginian like this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    A neighborhood buddy, Jay B. blew off part of his finger (a piece big enough to matter!) on a rocket project. Happened while using the flat of a curbing for a launch pad in Jr High days.
    Was before lawyers messing with supply chains and water pump rockets when there were kids who could buy chemicals and tubes and set them off and watch them go bang, into the sky, etc..Not sure what was learned from that fiasco?
    That's one weird art gallery?:lol2
    CashCow likes this.
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The top rocket was at a new museum in St. Petersburg called Imagine. Mostly glassworks.

The second was part of Walt’s collection.

It was made by Erik Lindbergh, the grandson of Charles Lindbergh.

The pilot.

Bill
  7. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I did the Estes rocket thing when I was a kid. Fun to build them and then launch. Of course in those days, one had to read thru the catalog, fill out an order form, mail it in with your money and wait. Taught one young kid patience!
    klaviator and CashCow like this.
  8. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    I also had one. Remember that the nose cone cracked after repeated hits on the road.
    kpinvt and CashCow like this.
  9. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    RMBS-3 The Million Dollar Scooter

My friend Ken, Lostboater to most of you, bought his first scooter many years ago.

It is a red Vespa 150LX.

He has ridden it across the country and on many shorter rides. He loves it.

A few years ago a group of young riders rode Vespa 150s across the country. They were coming from Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks Vespa in particular.

The group included a few famous young men, the most famous of them was Armie Hammer, star of the big screen in numerous films.

Also in the group was an artist named Tyler Ramsey.

One rule they had was that they couldn't stay in hotels, only camping or at homes when invited.

Ken invited them to stay at his house in St. Petersburg. I invited them to stay with me in Jacksonville, but it wasn't on their way to Key West.

While there, Ken admired a Vespa that Tyler had painted and Tyler offered to paint Ken's scooter.

Tyler's painting technique is that he throws paint onto the surfaces. These can be canvas, scooters or even a Ferrari (see attached)

If Tyler ever reaches the level of "Darling of the critics", Ken's scooter could easily fetch over one million dollars.

He doesn't care. He still rides it whenever he feels like it, even on a 500 mile ride recently to Wakulla Springs and Cedar Key with me.

I would have been upset if Tyler had painted one of mine, but I am not nearly as smart or adventurous as Ken.

https://www.ramseyart.com/

Bill

DSCF3497.JPG DSCF3499.JPG DSCF3501.JPG
    He even signed it.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen monkeys doing the same thing...:roflReally.
    If I had a million (yeh sure...:lol2) it'd be really safe.

As for film stars who scoot, in the most recent episode of TV's Big Bang Theory, Howard Wolowitz (the little Jewish astronaut engineer character) buys a red scooter he see's for sale on campus on the sneak and his snarky wife makes him sell it soon as she finds out. I have also seen scoots in a few other TV movies lately.
  11. ride4321

ride4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just had a chance to read thru this fine thread. Haven't been spending much time here in Battle Scoots lately I'm afraid. Saw your 90K posts a few days ago and that is quite the feat for a little 200cc scoot. Very impressive. Looking forward to following this tread.
    CashCow likes this.
  12. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along Cash! I always enjoy your post. I am going to try a Vespa one of these days. I love my Xmax but still long for the Italian beauty, I just don’t know how my back will do on one. After three surgeries it’s hit or miss as to comfort.
    CashCow likes this.
  13. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Av.

Of the ten or so different makes of scooters and motorcycles I have ridden, the large frame Vespa is by far the most comfortable.

The prettiest too.

And the smoothest engine.

Bill
    The Virginian likes this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great posts Bill!
    CashCow likes this.
  15. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that you've part some miles on the XMax, what's Max ranking amongst the "fleet"?
    CashCow likes this.
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    1. Rocket, the 2006 GT. Perfect in every way at the moment. Paint scratched and getting old, but oh so sweet.
    2. Razzo, the perfect 2005 GT. Has a few minor glitches but is beautiful and so smooth. Riding it today. Love it.
    3. Max., the Xmax. It is a very nice scooter. Fast, smooth, practical. I rode it yesterday and enjoyed the experience. Not as cool as the top two.
    4. Zoom, the Zuma 125. This is a very fun machine. It is parked until I get it registered, but the 100+ miles I have already ridden it showed me that it is a good one.
    5. Vanessa, the 2007 GT. This one was running great until I left the oil filler cap loose and rode 25 wide open miles on the interstate. The resulting loss of oil ruined the engine. It is awaiting a new one.
    6. Lambretta Li125, 1965 model. I loved riding it when it would run, but it is just too much trouble for me at this time. It is sold on a a handshake deal awaiting the new owner to come pick it up.

DSCF3555.JPG

The best!
    minimac and The Virginian like this.
  17. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yea, there is something about oil that makes them last longer.
    CashCow and Tromper like this.
  18. Tromper

Tromper Sagaciously Annoying Supporter

Oddometer:
    Run smoother too.

CashCow likes this.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have changed oil and checked the level at least a thousand times.

That time I was putting the cap back on when I noticed one of the air filter bubbles was missing.

I am quite sure I stopped short of tightening the dipstick cap while I went looking for the bubble.

A missing bubble doesn't destroy an engine.

No oil does.

Bill
  20. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s what I am afraid of. If I ride one I will probably buy one and I already have 3.
    CashCow and kpinvt like this.