Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    The weather was nice this afternoon.

I have been saying to Sarah that it might be time to take a ride into the country, on some little used roads near home.

So she got on the Zuma with me on Rocket and off we went.

It was over thirty miles.

And we got to check out Congaree and Penn, a farm that has entertainment and dining on the side. It is under consideration for our son Sam's upcoming wedding.

While riding, Rocket crossed 94,000 miles. Those Italian scooters hold up well.

Sarah liked the ride. It might be the start of something good. DSCF4480.JPG DSCF4488.JPG DSCF4493.JPG DSCF4505.JPG

Billl
  2. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bravo to Sarah! Small trips to build confidence! and keep her smiling!
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is wondering why I want to spend a couple of weeks riding scooters BE393E9A-A1DF-4EE0-8BC4-4AF82D5511C4.jpeg in Switzerland this Spring, this photo might help.
    cabanza, CaptnJim, DandM and 5 others like this.
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    My first attempt at a tire change. 45 minutes in and I have part of it off.

4488FDBD-5BFA-4E83-BF76-DBBDA0BB8D6F.jpeg

I threw in the towel after not being able to get the tire off.

Even after watching a video.

I only tried because one of my tire changers has retired and the other is taking a break.

I need for someone to show me how to do it using my tools.

Bill
    kpinvt likes this.
  5. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are a brave man sir !!
    CashCow likes this.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill - google the zip tie method for changing motorcycle tires. Zip tie the tire at 90 degree intervals. Get a can of silicone spray and spray the tire bead liberally.

Do the same with the new tire before installing it.

That should make comparatively easy work of the rest of it.
    CashCow likes this.
  7. Dan V.

Dan V. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bill, maybe Greg will ride over and help you :lol3. I think tire changes are the worst part of scooter ownership. There is this tire dealer that did them for me for $10- never a scratch or problem. Then they got pissy and said they wouldn't do motorcycle tires anymore. They will still do other small tires the diameter of scoot tires, though. Oh well.

Have had issues with cycle shops - scratched rims and tires on backwards. I always take a grease pencil and mark the rotation and still have gotten them back installed incorrectly. Costs are much higher than the shop mentioned above, too. I'll keep looking. I have a lead on a small engine shop to check out.

Thought about trying it myself. But I sweat easily.....

I like getting out and going for rides with my wife. She is a good rider and knows all the backroads around here. Now that she has claimed the Kymco 250 as hers, we will be getting out of town more. Can't wait for spring! You are fortunate to have the weather and a new riding partner!
    kpinvt, CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  8. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I will absolutely help if you can wait until I get to J-ville next Monday. Are you going to balance the tire? Do you have the means to do so? If not I can bring my balancer with me when I leave Ohio. Let me know if you need my help.
  9. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Gregg,

No real hurry as I don’t need a new tire right now. I have extra rims and wanted to give it a shot.

I used to watch Boris change them. It appeared that the hardest part was breaking the bead.

I bought a big c-clamp and made that step easy.

I will buy bigger zip ties. I watched a video and saw that the video guy’s tires were soft and pliable. Mine are incredibly stiff so I hope I can make it work.

I have a Marc Parnes static balancer and have used it successfully many times.

Bill
    klaviator likes this.
  10. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Don’t worry about the pliability of the zip ties. Their only purpose is to keep both tire beads together, which makes it easier to keep them in the drop center section of the rim. Beyond that, you must - and I mean MUST - have a way of sufficiently lubricating the tire bead for both the tire you are removing as well as the one you are installing, or you are going to wear yourself out and be frustrated. The tire in your photo appears dry. I like silicone spray because it doesn’t hurt the rubber. Some folks use dish soap.
    klaviator likes this.
  11. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is something I intend to learn and practice over the winter as I may need this skill for Cannonball
    CashCow likes this.
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Probably won’t need the skill on the Cannonball. I brought a mounted rear tire but have not needed one yet.
  13. everytimeidom

everytimeidom n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Bill,

I performed my first tire changes earlier this year thanks to the tips in this helpful video:

I ran into a snag after getting the new ones on as I do not have an air compressor that was strong enough to seat the bead so I had a tire shop do that for me (most places will do it for free) but I was able to successfully remove the old tires and put new ones on (both sets were City Grips) myself.
    The Virginian and CashCow like this.
  14. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Saturday, the 7 Bridges Scooter Club had their Christmas dinner at a local fish camp restaurant.

As is the case often this year, I didn’t attend.

Last night, when we arrived at Joseph’s Italian Restaurant on the weekly Tuesday dinner ride, Russ handed me an award for being the second most active member of the club since inception. Russ is first, by a lot.

I have evolved over the past few years.

Oyster Tours and now Courthouse Tours are much more fun. There are also European Tours and Cannonballs along with Wisconscoots and Mountain Gatherings.

When not on those I enjoy long solo rides.

I participated on only the Steinhatchee part of the fall club ride and only a handful of weekend rides. I still do most of the Tuesday rides.

It is a fine club. Russ is amazing, keeping it together and organized all of these years.

Maybe I will ride this weekend.

Bill

43F2213F-4144-4FDF-80C1-313C87EF4521.jpeg
    Bueller, CaptnJim, DandyDoug and 2 others like this.
  15. minimac

minimac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've contacted Russ. I'll probably be joining on some rides after Mrs.Mini has to desert me to go back to the ̶G̶r̶e̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶N̶o̶r̶t̶h̶ freezing, snowy, north for work, towards the end of January. I'm staying in Florida until sometime in April.
    The Virginian likes this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations Bill, a well earned award!
    minimac likes this.
  17. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats and well earned. Looks like the club launched you onto bigger adventures!
    Dan V. and The Virginian like this.
  18. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    County courthouses visited so far in three Courthouse Tours.

F13E724E-06AF-48D1-83F8-63DD7633AE71.jpeg

31 of the 67 the State of Florida offers.

So far, I have enjoyed the adventure the quest has created.

Riding with Ken is always fun and seeing new parts of the state has worked for me.

Bill
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I fought the tire and the tire won!

Continuing from last weekend, I thought it was time I learned to change a tire on my scooters.

While it looks quite simple on the videos, it beat me.

I determined that the only way I could do it myself would be using a fixed stand to securely hold the wheel while I struggle with the tire.

So far, I could have gone to work and made enough to have paid for several tire changes.

Never again unless I can figure out how to do it right.

B0E55FC6-1674-47D9-96C4-574A3194C947.jpeg
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I found a new shop.

They can do the tires in just a few minutes.

Fixed.

23145B8C-D66A-4B3C-A9ED-3555F7D8395D.jpeg