Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I found out that you can’t own enough of these fun machines.
    Hip001, kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  2. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Indeed! Great stuff happening in your thread Bill! Carry on. I'm still planning a get together here in VA, I'll keep ya posted.

Eric
    CashCow likes this.
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    RMBS-4 April Oyster Tour

Lostboater planned another oyster tour for a couple of weekends ago.

We liked the Ed Ball Wakulla Springs Lodge so much that we thought we would try it again. This time would be for canoeing.

I determined that I would leave home on Sunday afternoon to meet up with Ken, Dave and Larry at the Lodge. I had hoped to go racing in the morning, then leave in the afternoon, but a huge storm was approaching from the west. The Weather Channel had it arriving at Wakulla in the early afternoon, so I skipped the Autocross and headed west at 9:30.

To beat the storm, I took the fastest possible route, that being I-10 the 135 miles to just east of Tallahassee.

Rocket was the chosen steed and it maintained sufficient speed to stay clear of traffic along the way, averaging over 70 mph on that stretch.

I arrived an hour before the rain, so I could have taken my favorite route, but chickened out. I hate riding in the rain.

At dinner it was decided that, after the front came in, the temperatures were to be too low for comfortable canoeing, so we decided to ride to St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge instead. The lighthouse there is cool and the ride to it through the estuaries of the Gulf of Mexico outstanding. Well worth the trip.

That was followed by the worst oysters ever at a terrible restaurant is the tiny town of St. Marks.

Ken and I rode to Cedar Key hoping to keep the oysters down and succeeded. We had a nice ride with timely stops and settled into a hotel on Dock Street.

We had drinks nearby and a light dinner at Tony's before calling it a night early.

In the morning we wanted to have breakfast at our favorite place, The Daily Grind, but had seen the night before that the owners were on vacation.

So we went to Annie's instead. Neither of us knew where it was so we were riding down D Street. I looked at a restaurant to the right then straight ahead to find Ken almost stopped 20 feet in front of me beginning to turn into Annie's. I slammed on the brakes and just missed him. We were lucky.

Breakfast was good and we headed home.

Always fun riding with Lostboater.

Bill

DSCF3544.JPG
    Ken heading towards the lighthouse at St. Marks NWR.
    IMG_7892.JPG
    Beautiful sunrise in Cedar Key
    IMG_7895.JPG
    Rats! The Daily Grind was closed.
    IMG_7899.JPG
    At Annies, just one minute after near disaster.
  4. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report, love the sunrise pic and Annie's looks like a delightful little place!
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  5. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Slamming into a million dollar scooter would have been a once in a lifetime ordeal!
    CashCow and The Virginian like this.
  6. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was quite relieved to have missed him and that expensive scooter.

Invariably, on those few times I get distracted, I look forward and see brake lights.

Always best to pay attention all of the time.

Especially when following a million dollar scooter.

Bill
    sro99 and The Virginian like this.
  7. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is annies on the main road on the right going into cedar key? If so we used to ride there with the obsc. Old bastards scooter club. Motorcycles.
    CashCow likes this.
  8. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that is where it is located. It was good, but the Daily Grind is our favorite.
  9. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, will check out the daily grind.
    CashCow likes this.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    RMBS-5 My Other Job.

Besides riding scooters whenever I can, I am still working as an architect in Jacksonville.

I design houses.

This month, for the first time in my 45 years of doing this, I had one of my projects published in Southern Living Magazine. Eight pages.

The interior designer and I called it the River House in posting on Facebook while it was under construction, but it is the home of Michael Pajcic, his wife Katy DeBriere and their young daughter Ruth Ann.

It is the fifth big project for the Pajcic family, the first of these began when Michael was around five years old.

They give me great properties to build on. I am forever thankful that they continue to trust me to provide design services for their projects.

The project was among my all time favorites with great owners, the best interior designer I know, my favorite contractor and a fresh approach by the landscape designer.

To see it published is quite fun for me.

Bill

IMG_8062.JPG
    The front door and a shot on the porch. There is water on three sides of the house.

IMG_8067.JPG
    The front of the house and the kitchen. This is the first photograph I have seen anyone else take of the front. All of the rest of them are of the back of the house, facing the river.

IMG_8059.JPG Two interior shots, the dining area and sitting room. Both looking over the St. Johns River.

IMG_8068.JPG
    The cover of the May 2019 issue of Southern Living. I am a little disappointed that we didn't make the cover.
    shovde, donmac, kpinvt and 5 others like this.
  11. av8erdunn

av8erdunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the complement and for finding a parts scooter.
    Unfortunately it is a GTS where Vanessa is a very damaged GT.
    It won’t work.
    I probably should be parting her out, but every part has problems so it is is of no use to anyone but me.
    I really want to get her back on the road.
    Bill
  13. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be a little concerned about that parts Vespa. Parts might be hot enough to catch your garage on fire.
    CashCow likes this.
  14. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding Bill, congratulations!
    CashCow likes this.
  15. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful house. Nice work. Congratulations.

Will the publicity help you get more work? Although perhaps after 45 years you really don't want more work.
    CashCow likes this.
  16. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.

I have been working alone since my brother left five years ago, so I don’t need much work.

I also like to take vacations, ten weeks last year, and work often gets in the way of that.

This week, I wanted to join the 7 Bridges Scooter Club on their ride to North Carolina, but am in a crunch trying to get one project done before taking three weeks off in mid May, so I couldn’t go.

On the boards now, computer that is, are three new houses plus maybe ten smaller projects, mostly for repeat clients, so I have plenty to do.

I am hoping to work two more years, then only take on small projects for the five or six families that have kept me going all of this time.

Bill
  17. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing. That GTS is in MUCH better shape than Vanessa.
  18. beRto.

beRto. -----

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous house! Congrats on the acknowledgement! :)
    CashCow likes this.
  19. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The house looks amazing. Well Done!
    I like how you are able to balance your work with scootering. Seems the best of both worlds and also balancing home life! Looks like you found the formula!
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Barry.

As I get older I have realized that work is not the most important thing in one's life. I think happiness is much more important. Family and friends give me much of that.

Several years ago I decided to do whatever I want whenever I can.

So I started taking much more vacation time, mostly for scooting trips. And these trips are what give me happiness these days.

I don't quite have it down as I am missing the club ride this week, but it was necessary to let me get caught up. After an Oyster Tour with Ken two weekends ago and a visit with Ken and Walt last weekend in St. Petersburg, I just needed to be able to get in some progress.

Bill
    klaviator likes this.