Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Back to scooting: I have been thinking that I might have more scooters than I really need, not that need has much to do with owning these things.

The only GT that has any value to anyone except me is Razzo, the perfect 2005 model.

The paint and details all look new, even at 14 years old and 28,500 miles.

It has a windshield, top case and the controversial floor mat.

I fixed the wobble recently by installing a new front tire so it is truly a good one.

A good friend (and client) asked to borrow it yesterday to ride around the neighborhood to see the houses on the annual Home Tour.

I offered it to him casually a few weeks ago and since riding, I think he likes it.

I would feel much better about selling if Vanessa was working or the Zuma licensed, but even without these I will still have two that run great.

And with the proceeds after selling Razzo and the Lambretta, I could buy something new, leaning towards a Honda Super Cub or Kymco Spade.

Bill

IMG_0252.JPG
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A Super Cub or Spade would be a hoot and also much different from your current bikes. You could probably get a Spade for nearly 2 grand less than a Super Cub.
    CashCow likes this.
  3. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    That's what I was thinking. But even better would be to buy both.
    Bill
    kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  4. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm betting the spade would have a bit more top end, but the Super Cub just looks great. If I lived anywhere near 35 mph speed limits I'd have one.
    CashCow likes this.
  5. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 Super Cub.
    CashCow likes this.
  6. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in lust with the Spade, Super Cub and Monkey Bike. The Monkey Bike is surprisingly comfortable for me and I'm 6-2. I haven't seen a Super Cub in person yet and there are all kinds of stories of dealer price gouging. If I was looking for a Super Cub I'd wait a year or two. The Spade also seems pretty comfortable, it's less expensive and probably the fastest of those three bikes so that's what I would probably buy.

Of course if I win the lottery I'll just buy all three:D
    CashCow likes this.
  7. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I saw a SC on the floor at a local dealer while I was in FL a couple of months ago. It looks as good in person as it does in the reviews. Honda nailed it, something I don't often say about them.
    CashCow likes this.
  8. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have a history with the Cub style bike.

Twenty nine years ago I moved to Bermuda, where I worked for three years.

The first week there I bought a Suzuki FB100, Suzuki's version of the Cub.

At 100 cc, it was the maximum engine displacement allowed on the Island.

The purchase price was $800. I sold it three years later for $450, so it was a great value.

I rode it to work every day, only a mile each way.

Golf clubs were carried on it on the weekends (golf has given way to scooting on weekends these days)

This shot is my wife's 88 year old grandmother riding with me during a visit in 1992.

I think I would really like to have a Super Cub.

Bill

IMG_5435.JPG
  9. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a great smile she had that day!
    CashCow likes this.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Everybody smiles when they ride a scooter.
    The Virginian, kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Sarah’s grandmother died a few years after the Bermuda visit.

At her funeral, her ride with me was part of the service as an example of her adventurous spirit.

She was a good one.

Bill
  12. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Awesome Bill! I have similar photos of my Grandmother on the back of my wide glide on her 80th, and riding in the sidecar on my Cross Bones on her 90th.

While none of us know how long we’ll be here, I hope I keep my sense of adventure as I age like they did!
    kpinvt and CashCow like this.
  13. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have a handshake deal to sell Razzo!

As soon as Scooter Raton picks up the Lambretta, I will be off shopping.

Bill
    klaviator, wbdvt, kpinvt and 3 others like this.
  14. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    RMBS-6 Preparing for the Big Ride

In less than two weeks, I will be heading out on Max for another big ride.

This one will start by riding 400+ miles to Maggie Valley, NC to attend the Spring Gathering with scooter friends. This is a group of MP3 (mostly former) owners who have mountain gatherings twice a year. I have been to several and the riding is the best of any group events I have attended.

Three nights there, then I have two days to get to Brooklyn, NY to meet up with my daughter.

One night there so she can show me around her neighborhood, then we head to lodgings in the Catskill, Green and White Mountains before the last night in Portland, ME.

I will put her on a flight back to NY, then try to find Ken, who is supposed to be in the area, for another ride of several days before heading home.

I have offers from two friends, one in Vermont, the other in Saratoga Springs, NY to spend a night with them. I will try to make that work.

With work so busy, I haven't done much to plan other than not riding Max because it is primed for a ride of this distance (2500 miles) with new oil and rear tire. The belt still has 4500 miles until needing replacement and the rectifier appears to be good.

I am taking this one because of the extra speed and practicality over the Vespas.

The planning so far has been to book rooms in NC, Catskills, Vermont and Maine. I still need to book New Hampshire but it appears that every place has rooms available.

And I bought a new helmet for my daughter.

I carry a GPS everywhere, but haven't put in the routes yet. I have been checking google maps and found most, so this should be quick and easy.

Being on a Yamaha, the tool bag will stay at home. No spare parts coming either. That leaves much room for clothes and gear under the seat.

I ordered a rear rack from Asia a month ago but the seller canceled the deal. So my daughter will be carrying a back pack and I will have one in the pass through in front of me. Valuable things will be under the seat.

With two sets of gear needed for the middle of the ride, I can't take much, so I will be on the lookout for laundries along the way.

I can't wait until sun up on the 16th. Nothing like starting an adventure with the sun rising.

Bill
  15. wbdvt

wbdvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well there is laundry facilities here if you and Ken need to make use of them! Sounds like it will be a great trip especially with a special passenger! Email me details of your VT routes
    CashCow likes this.
  16. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip. I grew up in Brooklyn - Flatlands, Flatbush, the Rockaways and finally in Park Slope. We left 30 years ago to do the country thing in VT.
    CashCow likes this.
  17. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are more than welcome to stay here in VA if your path heads this way. Ample room, garage, tools, food and booze is complimentary.

Eric
    CashCow likes this.
  18. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the laundry offer!

I will send maps as soon as I get them ready. Feel free to let me know the best routes.

The meetup with Ken has been left loose. He will be there but he is not sure when and where. I may be solo for a few days before seeing him.
  19. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Eric, I only have two days to get to Brooklyn, and I will be west of you, so coming home will be the best time to stop by.

I hope you will be all healed by then.

Bill
    The Virginian likes this.
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Kylie is in Crown Heights now, but wants to move to Park Slope. She says it is a cool neighborhood.

I hope I can see it while I am there.

Bill
    The Virginian and conchscooter like this.