Rocket & Me

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by CashCow, Mar 31, 2019.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I doubt it. That would require them to change the electrical system and I've seen nothing that indicates those parts are different from earlier models.

I've run a camera, phone and/or GPS simultaneously as well.
    ClearwaterBMW likes this.
  2. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    sounds good to me
    heated grips would be nice
    thank you
  3. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really like the pics!
  4. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    Russ takes photos on the rides too.

He got this one of me and Vanessa following him on the way to Macclenny on Sunday.

For the first time in ages, I chose to ride in shorts and a t-shirt.

I am well aware that it is not a good idea to fall off dressed that way.

I didn't.

No safety lectures please.

Bill

Vanessa and Bill going to Macclenny.jpg
    XRangerRides, CBRider, beRto. and 7 others like this.
  5. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    great pictures
    no safety lecture for me
    I was the biggest ATGATT proponent of all time lecturing everyone and anyone
    but since I started to be in the world of scooters I wear jeans and sneakers and now a fishing shirt with long sleeves to protect me from the sun and one of my fancy shiny three quarter helmets so if I ever fall I'll break my jaw... My friends can't believe it but it's one of the great appeals of riding a scooter to me which is stupid because of course you still need to have all the gear all the time but I don't know that I ever will do that
    I'm sure there have been many threads about that but I don't know what drives me to say that I'm just going to wear my fishing shirts and my jeans and a jacket if it's cooler
    my 45-year-old self would be ashamed of my 57-year-old self on two wheels and and, quite frankly, for a lot of other reasons :2cry
    sealsam, CashCow, Salth2ofish and 2 others like this.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ve raised your kids. You have insurance. The rest is up to you.

Personally, as I’ve gotten older and realized I don’t shed heat so well anymore I’ve decided that it is far more dangerous for me to wear a bunch of gear and overheat than it is to ride with less gear and stay cooler. I have been guilty of the same attire a time or two depending on the circumstances, I just try not to make a habit of it.

As for the ATTGATT cops, last time I checked they weren’t paying our bills.
  7. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you posted that
    I was on a 3000 mile journey on my GS adventure couple of years ago
    I was following for Harley-Davidsons and Gold Wing... We were stopping every 180 miles for gas which of course was far short of my need but it was June and I was wearing all of my gear writing 78 miles an hour on the interstate and extremely exhausted. We got off the interstate to get gas far earlier than expected and I got to the pump and I asked him why we were stopping only 15 minutes after getting gas the last time I looked down and saw that we had ridden 210 miles and I guarantee I was unconscious for all of them... that's a classic example of where being overheated wasn't helpful and of course I was drinking and trying to keep up but no one wants to have to stop and go to the bathroom and all of that crap we have all faced.
    I agree with what you said but I spent the last 38 years of my riding life being on the other side of the fence and I can't believe where I am now to be very honest with you
    I appreciate your input as always
    sealsam, CashCow and Bueller like this.
  8. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I used to ride in shorts and t-shirts all summer.

But I found that a mesh jacket usually makes the ride better, as loose clothing isn't flapping around all the time.

And for shorts, I almost never wear them while riding anymore. Similar problem as they catch the wind and ride up my leg.

Oddly, the only time I fell off and got hurt was a bang on my shin. It caused much trouble.

That was one of the few times I rode wearing armored pants.

I have added shin guards for the next time they run a Cannonball on a goat track.

Bill
  9. Bueller

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    CashCow likes this.
  10. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I know I don’t have to explain it to you, but for others reading this dehydration and heat exhaustion are serious conditions on a bike. Far more serious than the attention they are given, IMO. I’ve been through something similar to your description, and it’s only after I got cooled off and rehydrated that I came to realize how much trouble I was in. It’s certainly not something to mess with, because judgment and the ability to process Information are usually among the first things to get compromised.
  11. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I have never been a hydrator.

I don't even carry a bottle or camelback.

Nor do I buy drinks when I stop.

Always in a hurry, am I.

Never a problem.

But when I rode home from Shepherdstown, WV in one 780 mile day, with temperatures reaching as high as 104F, it was a bit much.

I did get a drink or two during stops.

I felt fine when I got home, but felt a bit off the next day.

Bill
    ClearwaterBMW and kpinvt like this.
  12. Bueller

Oddometer:
    I suppose like plants, some strains of human are more drought resistant than others. Either that or you’re an alien :lol3
    klaviator, CashCow and ClearwaterBMW like this.
  13. kpinvt

kpinvt OLDnSLO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hypothermia at the other end of the spectrum is just as dangerous. It's shocking just how STUPID being too cold can make you.
    CashCow and Bueller like this.
  14. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    BILL is now the official CACTUS of the forum
    unless he wants to be our CAMEL (the number of humps will be HIS choice)
    CashCow and Bueller like this.
  15. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on!!!! The mesh jacket is the deal! I cannot lecture as in my younger days I wore shorts and teees on my sportbikes. Now , I find casual gear the go to. Helmet gloves mesh jacket, jeans/ carharrt and composit toe work shoes.
    Greg has his own harem of bikes and can ride and wear whatever he wants whenever he wants all the while lookin good while doing it!!!
    ClearwaterBMW and CashCow like this.
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When it is really hot as in crossing the Mojave between Vegas and San Diego in July I find a heat gear/coolmax long sleeve shirt under a mesh jacket works best for me. That keeps the sweat from evaporating faster than you can replenish. As the sweat does dry it drops the skin temperature as much as 10-15 degrees depending on the long sleeve shirt you are wearing. I also start the day with a camelback as full of ice as I can get it, then add water to fill in the gaps. It melts fast enough that I can go up to 2 hours before refilling it. So it lasts from one gas stop to another.

On some of the cannonball I've been known to wear wicking yoga 3/4 length pants or sorts under a mesh, which FWIW is silver when I have a choice just like my summer mesh is white for the same reason when crossing the south or deserts.

I've been known on occasion to wear shorts and hiking sandals on the scooter as long as I'm not intending to go more than 30-35mph. Usually when I'm going to grab a bite, coffee or go to the pool. I do always wear closed toes shoes and a 3/4 helmet with face shield is my minimum. My Houston summer helmet was shown in the pictures from yesterday morning in the Scootin My Way thread. Since it was in the mid 70s I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt knowing it would be considerably warmer when I returned. Since I had errands to do while out I didn't want to wear a jacket that would take up space in my top case while not riding.

Coldest I've been was after soaking through every pair of gloves I had with me going over Rabbit Ears Pass in a mixture of sleet, frozen rain and snow after an hour in rain at lower elevation during the 2014 Cannonball. The other time was riding the Honda CTX from Breckenridge to Austin October 2019. Leaving Raton, NM it was in the low 20s, fog 5ft off the ground which kept the road from being icy but the moisture in the air was holding that cold. Heated grips with handlebar muffs kept my hands cozy, layers too care of everything else but my toes. What I wouldn't have given for a scooter fairing to tuck those puppies inside. Despite wool socks I had to stop every hour to keep from getting frostbite. No problem hydrating when you need to buy a cup of coffee or something to justify the space you occupied warming toes. That's why I now have a Thermoscud for the Vespa. ;D
  17. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    me?
    i'm short and fat... i NEVER look good doing ANYTHING
    CashCow, sealsam and Salth2ofish like this.
  18. Salth2ofish

Salth2ofish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:lol3:-)
    and He is modest too! Great guy! Looking forward to meeting in person. Along with the rest of you
    ClearwaterBMW and CashCow like this.
  19. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    Just think DANNY DEVITO... when you see me :clap
    CashCow likes this.
  20. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I got up early, started my bicycle ride at 6:30, showered and meeting the scooter club for a breakfast ride at 8:00.

On the beautiful Razzo today.

61B5CA43-BC20-4280-BFD9-204069530F82.jpeg

BF83A31C-F76D-42F6-9F64-15DD64F3EE5E.jpeg