Rockies Forum Rules, Thread Index, Introductions- Welcome!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Nov 21, 2010.

1. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am up in Jackson, WY, have a 690 enduro I have a bit of experience on, but still learning. I’ll be keeping my eye out for regional meet ups and have an interest in exploring the places in between. Happy to share local beta, and join if I can find the time. I also have a few parts to swap in the near future.
  2. Moosenart

Moosenart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Know anything about riding near Green River or Rock Springs?
  3. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have only been on the main roads on four wheels, but passsing the areas in between I mentioned being interested in. I know there is a lot of public land and wells, and roads. I hear you can ride from Boulder to Steamboat on mostly gravel roads. The sand dunes red desert, adobe town, and flaming gourge area are places I would like to explore this year. I do have experience in Union Pass, and most of Teton County.
  4. Bsanders

Bsanders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello there folks. In the initial phase of planning a family trip to Colorado late July. Over the last year, I've been considering the RFSR (ride fly store repeat) idea of having my bike out west and fly in for 5-7day rides. We will be based in Minturn.

This vacation has spurred me into kicking off getting my bike out there. I'll likely ride a few+ mornings, but my priority will be hanging with the family. Needing to find a place to store the bike and gear and will return the last week of September for the first leg to (?). The intention is to get to an elevation where I can store and repeat a trip JanFeb 2019. Thinking southern Utah...

Been lurking about the Rockies forum and the helpful "things to Know" write-ups. Good stuff. I will likely be looking for some advice in the other threads of the Rockies. I lived mid 90s in SLC and was a liftie up at a resort. Never made it to Colorado though and I'm pretty stoked.

Best regards and thanks
  5. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any tips on things to do/see, places to eat in Jackson? I'll be there over Labor Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in Jackson too.
    What would you be riding?
    One tip would be to wait until just after Labor Day.
    Feel free to PM me with any questions. FYI; I ride single track and also have a 690 for everything else.
    randingo likes this.
  7. pratered

pratered Jackpiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    galenparke,
    I did that ride, pretty much, last year on my way to the Dinosaur Ride out of Craig. Camped near Adobe Town.
    I’ve had my 690 for a few years and am ready to do more trips, the Bighorns are on my short list and am considering the Yellowstone Rally.
    Always looking for good riding partners.
  8. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pratered, I just checked in and saw your post. Sounds like we should try to ride this year. The big horns sound promising also.
    pratered likes this.
  9. bighuckpunk

bighuckpunk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    husky390 likes this.
  10. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No worries. Thanks for the tips.

11. galenparke

galenparke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are on a road bike, the parks are ok, plenty of interesting places to stretch the legs. Around the Block is ok, (alpine-swan valley-Victor-Jackson). For dirt roads, the Gros Ventre river road, Greys River, Grassy Lake or Union Pass are nice. Over in Island Park there are some quiet stretches. A lot of the FS roads are dead ends now, but some are unexplored. Single track is not my forte, but I know a lot of the locals like to ride the big holes, and Mosquito Creek. Some food recommendations; snake river brew pub usually serves food until 11, where everything else is closed early, the Bird, Elenor’s, and Cutty’s rounds out the bar food recommendations. Plenty of higher end options too, the Snake River Grill being King. the Grannery has excellent views for a sunset dinner. Labor Day will be a bit busy, it gets quieter soon afterwards.
    pratered and husky390 like this.
  12. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll be touring with my wife on a Harley couch for this trip.

13. firespectrum

firespectrum n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone!
    Complete and total noob here. I'm here by a series of random events over the last 2 weeks:

1.) Roommate asks me to drive him to MSF class in Orlando, FL.
    2.) Since I'm already there, take the class and get my endorsement.
    3.) Ready to buy a cool new street bike so I can cruise down A1A with the ocean breeze in my hair.
    4.) Company in Colorado Springs offers me a boatload more money than I'm making to move out right away.
    5.) Quit my job.
    6.) Google "motorcycle colorado".
    7.) Holy crap I need an ADV Bike in my life right now.

Aaaand that's where I'm at right now.

So, I better get back to Zillow and figure out where I'm going to live, preferably a place with a garage for the bike I haven't bought yet. But I can't wait to get out there and explore what looks like a breathtaking state from the pictures I've seen.
    HanzoSteel and Merfman like this.
  14. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome. If you're a bargain shopper and want to buy used, start watching Craigslist now so you can get a feel for the market. We're entering riding season and some guy's are trying to get top dollar by capitalizing on Spring Fever. Don't be afraid of dealers, they will sometimes have better deals than the private market. If you buy from a private seller, don't be surprised that you will still have to pay sales tax when you register it.

15. firespectrum

firespectrum n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Husky! I think I'd rather go with a reputable dealer. I don't want to end up with mechanical issues that are beyond my level right away.
    husky390 likes this.
  16. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, Craigslist is a good bet, so good that dealers often scour the local listings for bikes to flip at the shop, especially at the season's start. Just do your homework and you'll do fine. You're getting ready to start a fantastic storyline in your life!
    husky390 likes this.
  17. yehaaa6

yehaaa6 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi! I'm Thomas, from the Salt Lake area. I'm taking the Basic Rider Course next weekend, getting ready. I work at a local motorsports dealer, and they had a very good condition 1997 DR650 come through, and I had to have it. so... now I own a DR650, a DS helmet, and a jacket. The last time I rode anything with an engine and 2 wheels was a CRF70 about 10 years ago, so, wish me luck! I've been reading the MSF manual, and Proficient Motorcycling, and my owner's manual, which surprisingly, came with the bike. A rarity for a 21 year old vehicle.

anyway, I'm looking to the west desert in Utah, and I have family out in Delta area, where I want to do some longer trips. I'm excited!

And pics of the bike taken from the dealer's instagram....
    [​IMG]
    pratered and husky390 like this.
  18. husky390

husky390 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that thing is clean. Congratulations

yehaaa6 likes this.
  19. DFWTruman

DFWTruman FNG

Oddometer:
    Howdy, I just moved to the ABQ from the DFW. What do I need to know?
  20. Merfman

Merfman Cape truster... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call Apex Sports when you get to town, ask for Lance. Tell him Merf sent ya.

Welcome!