Rockies Forum Rules, Thread Index, Introductions- Welcome!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome!

1. Lefthand is closed due to the September floods last year.

2. Try the Switzerland Trail for easy trail riding. There are more challenging loops off the main trail for your enjoyment/practice.

3. Some of us own Harleys. :deal

4. There's a dentist or two lurking on here too. :lol3

5. Jekyll and Hyde ride is a good time. Join us.

-O
  2. sturg

sturg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha:D Thanks for the info! I just finished getting some new rubber on the DR but wanted to avoid the holiday crowds. That being said the rest of this week is looking pretty nice!

Disregard, Found the thread on Jekyll & Hyde ride.
  3. Summitman

Summitman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I am from Silverthorne and just got back from COBDR which was probably best ride I ever did. we had only Labor day weekend to do it so we were hauling ass and made it from Four Corners where we started to finish in Wyoming in three days. But there was few things we kinda had problems and I want to see if we are alone or not. Especially Butler map for COBDR has many times wrong route numbers which didn't match actual route #'s on the trail.
    We liked the map but next time when we do BDR there's no way we will go with out downloading all the waypoints to my GPS. Please let me know if we are the only ones.
  4. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what Greg in Boulder is up to these days?
  5. beernutt

beernutt This space for rent

Oddometer:
    Greg is alive and well and spending as much time as he can on sailboats. Seems like every time I talk to him or hear about him he's about to go, currently, or just got back from a cool sailing trip where it's warm and sunny.

Bastard.
  6. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greetings.

I'm in the process of moving from Vermont to Montana, so I thought I might as well introduce myself. Yes, I know it's a big state, and no, I haven't figured out where in Montana yet. I'm a skier, so I'm leaning towards either Bozeman or Whitefish. The latter seems to offer a bit more in the way of skiing and a lot less of everything else.

I'm lucky enough that I've got a part-time, home-based (well, motel- and truck-based at the moment) web development job, but I'm looking to either supplement or replace that with ski-industry employment in Montana. Yes, I'm crazy (dumb?) enough that I've worked in the ski industry before, I got out, and I want back in. I also like taking my GS in places where I really ought to have a 450, so it may just be a character flaw of some sort.

Anyhow, I'm currently in Sidney, N.Y., awaiting new tires for my box van, and I plan to push through the rust belt in a day or two, and then maybe spend a little time exploring as a continue westward to Bozeman and then probably north to Whitefish. I'm hoping to get at least a ride or two in before the snow really sets in, but that remains to be seen. The new tires are winter tires, so that may reduce the chance of additional snow in the near term—which annoys the skier in me but makes the motorcyclist happy. :rofl

Obligatory sleepy-GS pic:
    [​IMG]
  7. Becca37

Becca37 n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy,
    Hubby and I are dog people, H-D riders, and jeepers, with an eye towards supplementing our already over-full garage with some dual-sport bikes as well. The plan is to do a 3-week trip to Alaska in 2017, and we are thinking dual sport bikes would be much more suited to the trip (and side trips!) than our spoiled cruisers. Plus there are all sorts of trails calling our names here in Colorado -- though having to choose between jeeping them and biking them might be torture.

I am a trike rider, thus the whole only 2-wheel part will be new to me as well. So we're planning formal relearning of 2-wheel riding accompanied by lots of on-road miles and off-road training with friends.

I'm currently drooling over the KTM 1290 Super Adventure, but I am only 5'4" so will probably have to contain my drool and find a bike based on height vs. extraneous luxuries aboard. Any advice for great dual sports bikes for women of average height would be great. :0) ​
  8. RawHyde

RawHyde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi this is Jim with RawHyde Adventures... and I noticed your post about thinking about some off road training... and being only 5'4 and thinking about a KTM 1290... admittedly a tall bike. Well - we do have ways of teaching you how to handle the height... and still ride confidently. I used to have a lady coach that was 5'3 and she could ride nearly anything.. its all about technique... and thinking ahead. If you're interested in Training we've been doing it for years... check us out at www.rawhyde-offroad.com
    good luck on the plans ...
    Becca37 likes this.
  9. Moonbutt

Moonbutt n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh hey! Looks like I found the real intro part of the forum! So the name's Tony, I'm in Bozeman Montana, new to adventure biking, and looking for some people to drink beers with (and, yanno, maybe ride oversized dirt bikes on unpaved lands...)
    So, nice to meet all of you peeps, and I look forward to riding with ya!
  10. BRP650R

BRP650R 2 Wheels you say?!

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

I am not new to adventure riding, but I am new to forums and group
    riding to a large extent. I have posted an ad simply on Boulder Craigslist trying to get rides going in that area and so far responses have been great! Here is the link to the ad:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/mcy/4736542776.html

And also a facebook group that you're all welcome to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1556651191237526/

Please let me know if anyone rides in this area and send along contact info. There are amazing trails up in this area that can be for all different levels and I would love to share the awe inspiring experiences that I have up at high altitudes with others of a similar mindset.

Cheers, Ride Safe! :rilla
  11. bikeslut

bikeslut Long timer

Oddometer:
    This seems like the thread for this- seriously looking to relocate to Colorado Springs area. I've visited a few times to mountain bike and dirt bike and really like the area.

Housing prices seem good, and I may buy a house cash (after taking to my accountant of course)... I ride a DRZ and a KLR currently, and am an active member of a local SD club ( www.dualsport-sd.com).

I was wondering if there is a similar club in the area, or if most of the local action is through advrider.

I consider myself low intermediate, but enjoy pushing my limits. Within reason....of course.

Any words of wisdom from the locals?

I'm not your typical Californian by a Longshot, so don't bother with liberal/surfer/stoner jabs...that's not me.

Other than that? What's it like there?
  12. RudeRooster

RudeRooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a new to me 2012 KTM 990 Adventure so of course I'll now be looking for some riding buddies. I realize this is not the best time of year for this in Colorado but I came across a deal on a bike I couldn't resist.

My name is Mike, I'm 62, retired, and live in the Castle Rock area. I've been riding off road for 30+ years but I'm brand new to adventure riding on the big bike. This thing is going to take some getting used to.

I'm really looking forward to meeting and riding with you guys and gals. My schedule is really flexible so hopefully I can jump in on one of the local group rides.

Here's the bike I bought. Now I just have to learn how to ride the beast!

Attached Files:

13. ereksonj

ereksonj n00b

Oddometer:
    looks like I found the intro area... So I've been lurking around these forums for several months now and every seems pretty cool so I thought I would introduce myself...

I live in northern Utah and go to Weber state university. I love all kinds of riding. I put a lot of commuting miles on my XT250 although I am dying for a supermoto (particularly a plated ktm 300). I also have a clean 1982 cr480 that screams, but handles like crap. And I keep a Yamaha blaster around for my soon to be wife and for snow fun.

what else?... I lived on a tropical island for while I was in junior high/high school. It is an army base called Kwajalein and there are no POV's on island, so I went a while with no riding experience.

also because I didn't mature in Utah, I haven't made many riding friends, so I am excited to try and meet up on some of these group rides to meet people. I guess that's about all for now, see you around!
  14. Abersouth

Abersouth misadventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy all.

I guess I'm due to introduce myself and see if I can't make/find a few friends to go riding with as the weather gets warmer. The short version of me and motorcycles lately, I'm a mid thirty something guy (I decided to quit keeping track of age at 34) who rides a F800gs. Bought the bike Jan of '14 in Arizona. Taught myself how to ride it a bit on trails there, and I still suck. :D First and second time I dropped it was going up and down Pole Hill near Estes. The rest of the times I've had unplanned get offs have been while screwing around at Pawnee Grassland. I've ridden the bike for work from Arizona, to California, to Colorado, to Iowa, then back to Colorado. It seems I can't get enough of riding the thing.

I've been a lurker for about six months and it looks like there are a lot of very fine people to be found on this forum. Wish I would have discovered it sooner.

Not sure what else I might say in an initial post. Looking forward to meeting some folks to ride with.
  15. nzchair

nzchair Seemed like a good idea at the time!

Oddometer:
    I've been an inmate for a short time now and figure I ought to say howdy to the Rocky Mountain Inmates, I live in Morrison and ride a KTM 625 SXC. A fellow inmate/friend talked me into an R1150gs that was a smoking Craigslist deal so I'm giving it a try (jury is still out), seems kinda heavy and slow coming off of the KTM but my buddy says I'll grow to love it in a couple of months. Seems to be a Beemer club that meets at the Red Rocks Grill in Morrison every Sat./Sunday morning for breakfast so I'll have to slide down there and say hi.
    If anyone needs anything from my part of the world hit me up and I'll do what I can to help.

Thanks
    Allen
  16. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forums, be sure to look for upcoming rides and meet and greets!
  17. BrownieSlayer

BrownieSlayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New to ADV. Been riding for about 5 years. Current bike is a 1998 Honda VFR 800. Been living in the Colorado area most of my life but love going on road trips across the US (the 4 wheel AND 2 wheel kind).
  18. mdguy90

mdguy90 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

mdguy90 here. Located in Jackson, Wy. I've driven around in my 4 runner too much and seen too many narrower dirt roads and trails that make me think "I wonder what's back there." So yesterday I went to the DOT and got my temp motorcycle license, and now I'm looking for a bike.

Issue is I've never ridden one before and so I'm hesitant to just drop money on a bike, and I'm sure people are hesitant to let someone who's never sat on one before test drive it.

Currently on the lookout for a KLR650 or DR650 on a limited (under $2,500) budget. So if anyone knows something around the area, give me a holler. :D

Excited to gain some knowledge on the hobby and sport.
  19. pkbinder

pkbinder Kissing Moose

Oddometer:
    For his graduation from the big university I bought my son a used Jeep Grand Cherokee. Does anyone know of a reasonable Jeep mechanic in Boulder?
  20. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forums, either of the bikes you mentioned are good all around bikes to learn on.

Wrong section of forum, you may want to try in the "rocky mountain randomness" section.