Rockies regional randomness

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Sep 30, 2009.

1. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    The time at the end is what matters and he's chasing low slung cruisers w/ 16" fat tires off the line on a adv bike with 4x the travel that sits 5-8" taller. Not an easy bike to launch compared to a cruiser.

It was kind of pathetic how bad the KTM reeled them in on the topend.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  2. mjskier

mjskier Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the starter light is just a suggestion and timing starts when you break a beam?
    I'm not surprised by the result: Modern 150 hp bike (with traction control, or do you have to disable that?) against something that was designed in the last century. The proverbial knife to a gun fight.
  3. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Victory
    MurphCO likes this.
  4. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a buddy with a multistrada when I had my Victory Hammer that always wanted to drag race, after thoroughly killing him 10 out of 10 times he eventually went to rolling starts and insisted that was the way it had to be done, then he had a chance
  5. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is called bracket racing.
    Each rider sets a time they think they can run without going faster.
    Those times are pre-loaded into the clock.
    Say the cruiser sets a 14.5 sec
    The KTM a time of 13.0 sec.
    The cruiser gets their green light 1.5 secs before the KTM gets theirs.
    Cutting a good light pays off, knowing exactly how fast (or slow) your bike is, and not going over your set time.
    Usually the faster bike has the advantage, as they can back out on the top end after they catch the slower rider.
    The disadvantage is they have to be patient and wait for their green light, which is hard to do as the other bike is blasting away.
    I had decent success on a cruiser, and a Harley, and a "girls" Harley at that.
    That bike would do a 12.2 every pass if I hit my shifts, uncanny consistency, which is the name of the game in bracket racing.

IMG_3711.jpg

Please note the long hair, white tee shirt & Levi's, RayBan Wayfarer's, with the required black leather jacket.
    bmon, nwcolorider, barko1 and 9 others like this.
  6. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    Merfman likes this.
  8. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you want to know?
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That's a interesting interview, the guy sounds believable. I put the netflix video in my que.
    Merfman likes this.
  10. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The podcast interview is definitely interesting, but the documentary is horrible.
    Merfman likes this.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    agreed and I'm only 15min in.
    Merfman likes this.
  12. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lazar is a sham

I listened to the podcast when it first came out, he doesn’t know a lot of simple things logistically and placement-wise, also some things are absolute lies, and easy shit not things he would need to lie about.

I’ve never heard anyone test him on his LANL time and where he worked etc. that would be another easy way to vet his stories....

My curiosity is more in the realm of whether he is an intentional disinfo agent or fell into it and they ran with it, letting him run his mouth for the same results.
    AbeWhat likes this.
  13. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So venting...

local shop's website shows they have an Africa Twin Manual and a KTM 1290R in stock, so I contact the online chat and make sure...it says you have both bikes on the floor, can I come take a test ride....ABSOLUTELY they say, come on down.

I show up and they have a AT DCT on the floor, not what I wanted to ride, and no 1290.....I ask the guy to give me a tour of the functions etc on the AT they have and he knows nothing about it, then i ask why the website said they have these bikes and the person I contacted....he goes in the back to research where the bikes may be....

comes back out and says if i want to test ride the bikes I need to put a 10% deposit down for them to bring them over from the warehouse...I look at him, and I asked 3 different times to make sure it wasn't me misunderstanding.....I have to give you a 10% deposit ($1,700) for you to bring either bike down for me to test ride to decide which i want to buy? He confirms each time, yes that is the policy.

I just can't....I'm so over some of this bullshit these shops do and their lousy customer service...I have financing in order and the money for the deposit its just ridiculous that this is their policy
  14. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:
    Name the shop!
  15. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Ridiculous. I'd tell him in no uncertain terms that not only did he just lose the sale, but he's lost a customer for life, and that you'll be M-Fing them all over the internet as a result.

Merfman and norton(kel) like this.
  16. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a dealer in MN do that to me ... 2nd largest Polaris dealer in the country. Wouldn't even get the book out to tell me miles on a sled on the rack.

Asked a friend about it, the guy who recommended that dealer to me, and has bought many many sleds from them in the past...
    ....went back later, got a different salesman, and a whole different dealer experience. I went home with a new sled in the trailer, and i'm fairly certain the other salesman had a bad day.

Locally, Steamboat's been good to me. :dunno
  17. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    were you talking to a salesperson or a manager?
    escalate it up a notch, ask to see the sales manager and ask him if that's their official store policy (betting it's not).

express your disappointment politely, I'll bet they'll do something to make it right.

....and tell them their online chat needs to be staffed by people who know what they actually have on the floor.
    Motornoggin and randingo like this.
  18. Krang

Krang Rides with hippies

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I'm cheap, I primarily buy used motorcycles. Bonus, not having to deal with shit like this.

Reminds me of colorado powersports I think it was off of 104th. Walked in there on two separate occasions with checkbook in hand for bikes i passionately wanted and both times they couldn't be bothered to deal with me. Sad they are closed as other than sales they were great.
  19. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    My guess is they have a brand new building and sell Indians also.
    If it is the same shop, they had the Indian Demo Truck there a few weeks ago.
    The only bike I wanted to ride, the new FTR 1200 was not in the lineup to ride.
    Who in the hell has a Demo truck with all their bikes Except the brand new one???
    Indian, I mean Polaris, really dropped the ball on this one.
    They had 3 there for sale, already sold. Wasn't allowed to sit on any.
    Sales lady said I could leave a deposit, Right!
    Sound familiar? Ugg!
    MurphCO likes this.
  20. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    For years I was a big supporter of the buy local movement, try to keep Mom and Pop in business, but it just seams harder all the time to deal with the local shops. If I buy it on line my parts are right, cheaper and no crappy attitudes.