1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Rockies regional randomness

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Geek, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I'm not much of a cruiser guy but at first glance the thing that gets me is this brace:

upload_2020-9-18_7-36-8.png

The entire bike is swoopy and crafted and then there's like a chunk of flat iron welded from fork to fork as a brace?
    Maybe the photo is just a bad angle? :dunno

Looking at those generic fenders, etc - I suspect the customization aftermarket for this thing is going to be YUUUUUGE! Just don't let Paul Tuttle get his hands on one and maybe it won't jump the shark :photog

I am looking forward to seeing some custom bobbers, cafes, etc with an R18 motor! :lurk
    Blakebird, Lomax and DomEOD like this.
  2. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    big oof. I can’t unsee it
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    LOL - as I was typing that I was thinking "Dom's going to hate me for pointing this out...."

I'm sure someone will make a fancy bracket cover of some sort for it or maybe that's where the ADV sticker goes! :rofl
  4. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I'm not a cruiser guy at all...maybe even hate most cruiser appearances. For some reason I kinda like this one. I think it's because of the uniqueness of the engine. The appearance of this engine just tends to bring out a look that cruisers don't generally have.

Barko, there's nothing wrong with those Flash Gordon pipes...except...they need to have the fins on the top like an old Caddy.:D
  5. barko1

barko1 barko1 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make it cool like this and it'll be a hit.

TNC likes this.
  6. Osprey!

Osprey! a.k.a. Opie Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200923_133540.jpg

I have to say, I'm very impressed with this truck. What started as a plow truck acquisition (for 1.8 miles of mountain dirt road to the house) has morphed into a hauler, too. It's a 01 2500HD with an 8.1 gasser paired to an Allison 1000 tranny. Sure, it's a gas hog but I'm not complaining given the reasonable purchase price and intended limited use: plow truck, one a year trip to a conference in the Nevada desert, and weekly trash duty. It's also pre-dented and pre-scratched, so I'm happy to park it next to anything and not worry about parking lot dings.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the higher acquisition prices and maintenance costs of a diesel don't seem worth it unless you're going to tow super heavy loads. As it stands, this rig is rated to tow +16,000 lbs. It barely feels the 2,200 lb cargo trailer empty.

The 8.1 is known for oil consumption, but I switched it to Mobil 1 just before a trip and it didn't use any on a 2,200 roundabout to pick up the trailer. I had a similar experience with my 4Runner. Mobile 1 - no oil consumption. Other synthetics - slight oil consumption. Must be some additive in the Mobile 1, I guess.

Studded snow tires are on order and I'm probably going to replace the shocks, too. Seems worth the investment...

Anyone looking for a barely used 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road? Just kidding. Sort of.
  7. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NICE UNIT
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Nice setup! is it 4wd?

In our case with our F350 we have 4500lbs in the bed and may or may not be towing - but the other awesome thing about a diesel is the engine brake. I press the fart button and go down Vail or Loveland and never touch my brakes (not to mention the mountain we live on).

That said, I agree with you. Don't buy a diesel unless you need a diesel (don't get my started on the B.S. emissions crap).

:freaky

[​IMG]

Last weekend fishing the frying pan:
    [​IMG]
    Colorado970 likes this.
  9. Carbon Boy

Carbon Boy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you first posted your new acquisition I assumed 6.0, lucky find on the 8.1/Allison. I just rolled 180,000 this past week 1800 mi round trip with no consumption running fresh dino oil. It will use a tad closer to change interval. I did have a slight leak, suspected front seal, turned out to be oil cooler line, repaired and everything dry now. I just wish I had the 4x4. You have a nice rig, ENJOY!! Phone Pictures 625.jpg Pic from a couple years ago
  10. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Yes, it's 4x4. I've been using low range to get up to the house while towing fully loaded. Snow tires are on order. Suspension and plow are next.
    Geek likes this.
  11. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    ... Just completed the LAST load. This was definitely the hardest move yet, although the easiest I've ever loaded a motorcycle.

OK, well - the trailer hasn't been unloaded yet, but the old house is EMPTY and clean. I have a few punch list items to address tomorrow and then it's done. PHEW.
  12. DomEOD

DomEOD 'murica

Oddometer:
    Alright. I need a TW200. Tired of getting my ass kicked on a big bike. Also need a Rampart by trail difficulty map

HanzoSteel and y4m4 like this.
  13. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    Forget the TW200: hit me up if you wanna try a trials bike some time. :jkam

Actually, that offer is extended to anyone 'round these parts and is interested.
  14. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would suggest more dirt orientated type tires will pay off dividends keeping you upright.
    Most everything up where that video was shot is loose granite gravel. Street tires don't do well in that environment.
    Drink the Koolade and get a KTM and never have to worry about the trail difficulty.
    RideFreak likes this.
  15. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    Question for those with truck+snowplow experience. What did you do to upgrade the suspension to handle the added weight of the plow? Did you add stiffer springs? Heading to the shop early next week and want to be prepared for the upsell...
  16. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Depends on the plow weight. There are some very good light plows now that require nothing, but you said a mile and a half so probably not going that way! My old Ford has an 8' heavy plow, nothing added. My 95 GMC 2500, I had to add some airbags. Sumosprings is what my dad put on his, he likes them.
    AbeWhat, Geek and Osprey! like this.
  17. Osprey!

Oddometer:
    Thanks Norm! I was looking at a 700lb (shipping weight plow). Airbags make a lot more sense to me than suffering a crappy ride for the 95% of the time the plow is not in service. I didn't know that was an option on the front.

p.s. I hope things are going ok with your fam.
  18. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    speaking of plows... added a 7 foot rear blade to the tractor today:

[​IMG]

Almost ready for winter!

Now I just need to man up and install the 150 lbs of studded chains :photog
    ...and inject 470lbs of ballast into the tires
    ...and install the shoes on the blade
    ...and install the hydraulic rotation kit
    ...and install the blade ends...
    and...
    ok, I'm not almost ready for winter. :patch
    AbeWhat likes this.
  19. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would swap you a K1 for that setup. Could use it at the cabin :D Is that 4wd and hydro static drive?

I just got a 66" plow for the RZR for my driveway. I don't know if it will work worth a shit or not.
    Geek likes this.
  20. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    LOL! If you'd ever have told me I would spend the price of a corvette on something that goes 17mph I'd have thought you were smoking crack. Perhaps I'm the one smoking crack :scratch

...but I never have to worry about our canyon's snowbombs ever again :D :norton

yes 4wd, hydrostatic, 46hp turbo so doesn't mind the altitude.
    This is the largest tractor John Deere makes with a front PTO option so I can run the front 59" blower. :thumb

The issue with the plow I used the past 6 years is during the big snow events having to be out there every 2 hours plowing all night to stay ahead of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I get to sleep in.. and with the heated cab I'm going to plow in a tshirt and my underwear... just because I can :photog

[​IMG]