1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Rocky Mountain Access Issues

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know. Thanks.
  2. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Coffman has suddenly turned conservative. Must be an election year.

3. Buddy_Holly

Buddy_Holly That'll be the day..

Oddometer:
  4. ridenm

ridenm Missing my emotional support squirrel Supporter

Oddometer:
    http://vallescaldera.com/archives/2903

This is a link to a survey by a UNM grad student. A previous link to the survey, when finished leads one to the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance blog page, to which organization the grad student had extended an invitation to take the survey. For some reason he doesn't seem to have extended a similar invite to any motorized recreation advocacy groups in NM. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

In any case, if you know of the Valles Caldera National Preserve, and you'd like to express your opinion about recreation access to the preserve, have at it.
  5. joedints

joedints Chigger Bait

Oddometer:
    President Obama has specifically invited us as Recreationists to be involved in his America's Great Outdoor Initiative, but we are being out voted by the vocal minority who want to kick you of your public lands.
    He has asked us to join the conversation by VOTING for IDEAS submitted by the public. This is really EASY to do and only takes a few minutes. His Team will present the results to the President on 11/15/10.
    Below are some good ideas that deserve to be PROMOTED and in the box below that are ones that we think should be DEMOTED
    If we do not rally and our Ideas are Voted down the message to the President will be to Lock up more of your public lands and Eliminate More Access

http://www.savethetrails.us/AGO-Vote.html

Distribute this link and thread everywhere so as many can see it...
  6. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    Ya. I did this.

If you think it has any effect, any effect at all on the left's agenda you are delusional.
  7. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Relaying an email from John Harris, from CMTRA.

Appreciate all that can make the time to let our new Governor's team know how important singletrack motorcycle riding and access to your public land is to you. Below is specific information from the website link in the below/below COHVCO message.

--------------------------------------------below-------------------------------------------------
    Colorado Springs - Regional Meeting

When:
    Sat, Nov 20, 2010

Where:
    Colorado Technical University, RM 250-252, 4435 North Chestnut St, Colorado Springs, CO 80907
    Map
    Economic Development; Human Services; Health Care; Public Health; Military 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm RSVP: http://partnersforcolorado.com/public-schedule-of-regional-transition-meetings/rsvp-colorado-springs/
    --------------------------------------------below/below-------------------------------------------------
    Governor- Elect Hickenlooper has established his transition website (http://partnersforcolorado.com/) with a series of regional transition forums across the state - see below. I encourage you to attend a Forum, if there is one in your area, to advocate for issues important to public lands and motorized recreation. Be sure to link these issues with topics such as economic development, transportation, and forest health.

Forums scheduled to date - see link, above for up to date info.
    Nov 13
    Durango - Regional Meeting
    Frisco - Regional Meeting
    Greeley - Regional Meeting
    Highlands Ranch Regional Meeting
    Nov 17
    Broomfield Regional Meeting
    Nov 20
    Alamosa - Regional Meeting
    Colorado Springs - Regional Meeting
    Grand Junction - Regional Meeting
    Lamar - Regional Meeting
    Pueblo - Regional Meeting
    Aurora Regional Meeting

Corey Corbett
    COHVCO Manager of Operations and OHV Workshop Coordinator

12161 West Mt. Powell
    Littleton, CO 80127
    Cell Phone 303-809-6628
    Home Phone 303-933-4011
    Fax 303-932-8733

Join COHVCO today: https://cohvco.org/forms/univmembform.pdf

Notice: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for research and educational purposes.
    --
    Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition
  8. terry.mc

terry.mc Stop ruining my vacation

Oddometer:
    AAARRRGGGGGGGG....

I wish I would have gotten this in my email, I could have easily made this one...

I'll look for another one to go to...

T
  9. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is a re-post but I was just told about Stay the Trail Colorado's campaign to have a "Stay the Trail" license plate. Details here. They need 3000 signatures in order to have the state offer these custom plates.
  10. PrairieRider

PrairieRider Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer:
    Just getting the word out:

Hi All,

I just spoke to Drew Munro editor of the SkyHi Dailey News in Grand County about the recent article. In our conversation we discussed Commissioner Pearlman's words in the article. I mentioned how the discussion seems to always be diverted by Mr. Pearlman - the 3 counties and the USFS already agreed on the wording of Public Law 107-216 and it is not up to Boulder County to redecide or rewrite this law.
    Nor does the evidence / facts show Boulder County having jursidiction over these roads since Regional Forester Rick Cables stated that the road corridor is part of the federal estate.

It bothers me to see Pearlman continuing the misinformation and diversion of the conversation.

Drew Munro suggested I write a rebuttal letter to the editor of SkyHi and he will print it.
    That is my next goal. Of course I will run this by the core group for comments and suggestions.

Please participate in the discussion at the new website www.RockiesRiders.com
    The specific link is: http://rockiesriders.com/index.php?topic=67.0

Regards and thank you,

Steve Green

PS - Please get the word out about the new website where this discussion lives on.
  11. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    Senate May Move on Public Lands Omnibus Bill-VOICE YOURSELVES TO OUR REPS NOW!
    From Bryan Bosch,with a good link to a form letter to contact your reps.
    "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weigh In to Encourage Your Senators to Reject Omnibus Approach
    It is time to have your voice heard again as 10 Democratic Senators sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) urging him to move a new public lands omnibus bill during the current “lame duck” session of Congress. The legislation would limit access to more than two million acres of public lands in 13 states, while creating new national parks, monuments and wilderness areas and may include other provisions.
    As you will recall Congress used procedural gimmicks to enact a similar omnibus bill in 2009, and we must make it clear to Congress that passing massive omnibus bills at the 11th hour is no way to manage our public lands.
    Please click the Take Action link below to let your Senators know you oppose a new massive omnibus public lands law and that a repeat of the 2009 law will mean more restrictions to access."
    Get involved
    https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site...mirwm4.app334a
  12. ridenm

Oddometer:
    Link appears to be broken.

No matter. I called and e-mailed. Unfortunately my two senators are the tools behind this crap.
  13. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
  14. SRA

SRA Why is the rum gone?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. YP. Did it.
  15. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    Bump for an important issue.

Call your senators! :deal

From the AMA on Dec. 20th:

Update: New Omnibus Public Lands bill introduced in the Senate Take Action!

Call your Senators NOW!

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and the All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA) urges everyone to contact their Senators to vote "No" on S. 303, the "America's Great Outdoors Act of 2010." Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (NV) introduced S. 303 as a substitute to the original bill. S. 303 was formerly titled the "Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 2009," and was only 12-pages. The new Omnibus Public Lands bill is a little over 1,000-pages. This bill would restrict all motorized vehicle access including motorcycles and ATVs on thousands of acres of public lands.

The Senate passed the original S. 303 last year and the House of Representatives then passed an amended version. Now with S. 303 considered preferential legislation, Senate Majority Leader Reid can employ the same parliamentary procedure he used to pass the Omnibus Public Lands Management Act of 2009 that allows them to more easily pass the legislation.
    Reid, recently abandoned a large omnibus spending bill, but is still determined to have the lame-duck land grab voted on between now and New Year's.

After working with Senate Committee Staff, the AMA and ATVA have been informed that the bill contains multiple land designations that threaten to end responsible motorized recreation across the country. There is also an effort to include designations that have never been voted out of their relevant Committees and vast spending measures that are irrelevant to public land access.

This land grab is reminiscent of the 2009 closure of 2.1 million acres of public land to the American people. This legislation, as before, was created behind closed doors and without the transparent process new laws should have.

With such a short time frame for action, the best way to tell your Senators to oppose S. 303 is to call.

Critical attention must be paid to the following Senators that have great influence over the future of this legislation. If you are a constituent of any of these Senators, please call them today and ask everyone you know to do the same: Senators McCain (AZ), Bennett (UT), Corker (TN), Brownback (KS), Voinovich (OH), Collins (ME), Snowe (ME), McConnell (KY), Kyl (AZ), Thune (SD), Barrasso (WY), Bunning (KY), Burr (NC), Risch (ID), Ensign (NV) and Sessions (AL).

The AMA and ATVA previously sent a letter to Congressional leadership expressing concern that this type of bill would be created to push a unilateral agenda by the administration to close millions of acres of public land. To view that letter, click here.

Every Senator must know to oppose S. 303, the "America's Great Outdoors Act of 2010"!
  16. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    Help the AMA coalition oppose the new Wild Lands Policy

On March 16, the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA), Trails Preservation Alliance (TPA), Utah Shared Access Alliance (USA-ALL), Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition (COHVCO), AMA-District 36, AMA-District 37 Off-Road Division and California Off-Road Vehicle Association (CORVA) sent a letter to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Director Bob Abbey opposing the new Wild Lands land-use designation policy. The letter expresses concerns about the definition of Wild Lands, designations, and implementation plans, as it relates to Secretarial Order 3310. Additionally, the letter seeks to clarify indications that Abbey believes there is no grass-roots opposition to the Wild Lands designation. This new order may affect off-highway vehicle (OHV) enthusiasts' ability to enjoy the public lands responsibly with their families and friends.

This is just a way for the opposition to get it's foot in the door of Wilderness Designation w/out having to follow proper procedures.

Follow this link to send a letter:
    http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=35571516
  17. ridenm

Oddometer:
    Link is broke. Try this one: http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=23870546
  18. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:

House Bill 1264 that allows gives OHV owners the option of obtaining a limited use license plate and registration to travel on unpaved roads in Colorado is being heard Friday April 1<SUP>st</SUP> In House Appropriations. We need your support!

HB1264 will finally require counties to allow travel by licensed and registered OHVs on unpaved county roads. The plate and registration is a one time fee of about $25, good for as long as you own the vehicle and there is no property tax or annual fees except for the OHV registration to fund work to keep trails open.

Here is how you can help:
    • <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'; COLOR: blue; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Familiarize yourself with the 13 members of the House Appropriations Committee and look at the counties they represent. <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'; COLOR: blue; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">If one of the legislators represents you, then write a brief, sincere and polite request by e-mail to support House Bill 1264 in Appropriations. <LI style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'sans-serif'; COLOR: blue; FONT-SIZE: 12pt">If you prefer to call, there is a link to each legislator's home page that contains their office number so you may also call and leave a message of support.
    • Do so now. The sooner the better and please, please be polite

The Message you want to convey:

Below is an example of an off the cuff e-mail supporting HB1264 from a 66 year old rider.
    I was just reading the article in the Post and i would very much like to see this bill pass. What can i do to help? I will talk to all my friends and make them aware of this. A good example is Black Bear Pass by Telluride. It is one way down. Once down there is no way to get back to where you are parked without going on streets in Telluride to Imogine Pass. I would very much like to see this before i die (I'm 66 years old).

Express yourself in similar personal terms. Give an example of how difficult it is to know what one county allows from another. We need uniformity. OHV recreation is a big part of tourism from both in and out of state riders. We all don't have 21 year old hearts and lungs or legs and we want access!

That's it. Now please go make your voice heard.
  19. soupknotzee

soupknotzee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>Legislation to be introduced in Congress that supports greater access to public lands</td><td rowspan="2" valign="top"></td></tr><tr><td>Contact your Representative today!</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" height="10">
    </td></tr><tr><td colspan="2">Representative and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) along with Representative Rob Bishop (R-UT), Chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands and Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM), Chairman of the Congressional Western Caucus plan to introduce the Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act of 2011 shortly. This bill would remove restrictions to motorized access on more than 40 million acres of public land nationwide.The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA) support this bill and applaud McCarthy, Bishop and Pearce for helping every American achieve greater access to our public lands. On April 5, 2011, the AMA and ATVA sent McCarthy a letter of support for this bill. To view the letter, click here.
    The Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act would remove the riding ban on 6.7 million acres managed by the federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and riding restrictions that may be in place for 36.1 million acres of U.S. Forest Service (USFS) land.
    "As strong supporters of multiple-use principles for our public lands, we should release public lands from restrictive management practices that are unnecessary," McCarthy told his colleagues. "This bill also would preserve and strengthen the robust local land management planning process by returning emphasis to local stakeholders and local communities who know best how to manage their public lands rather than bureaucrats here in Washington."
    Specifically, this bill would "release" all Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs) controlled by the BLM and Inventoried Roadless Areas (IRAs) managed by the USFS that have been determined by land managers to be unsuitable for congressional Wilderness land-use designations. Motorized recreation is banned on Wilderness land.
    Moreover, this legislation would terminate the U.S. Department of the Interior Secretarial Order 3310. On Dec. 22, 2010, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar signed Secretarial Order 3310 creating a new land-use designation called Wild Lands that essentially allows officials in the BLM to manage public land as if it had received a "Wilderness" land-use designation from Congress, but without requiring congressional approval.
    The AMA and ATVA support appropriate Wilderness designations that meet the criteria established by the Wilderness Act of 1964. However, we agree with McCarthy that the Secretarial Order appears to undermine this law. A Wilderness designation is one of the strictest forms of public land management. Once Congress designates an area as Wilderness, nearly all forms of non-pedestrian recreation are prohibited.
    The Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act is long overdue and the AMA and ATVA thank McCarthy, Bishop and Pearce for introducing it. For years, anti-access groups have used WSAs and other tactics to inappropriately keep responsible riders off public land that is well suited for motorized recreation.
    The AMA and ATVA need you to contact your Representative now to urge them to become an original cosponsor to the Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act of 2011. Just follow the "Take Action" option to send a pre-written e-mail directly to your Representative.&#65279;

</td></tr></tbody></table> [​IMG]
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="width: 142px; height: 170px; padding: 0px 13px 5px 12px; background-color: rgb(231, 230, 229);" valign="top">
    </td></tr><tr><td style="width: 182px;"> [​IMG]

</td></tr></tbody></table>
  20. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.

MEDIA RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Phone: (208) 244-2112
    Date: May 10, 2011

BRC ENCOURAGES MEMBERS TO SUPPORT WSA RELEASE LEGISLATION WASHINGTON DC (May 10) -
    The BlueRibbon Coalition, a national trail-based recreation group, announced today that it supports legislation introduced by U.S. Representatives Kevin McCarthy (CA), Rob Bishop (UT), Steve Pearce (R-NM) and 19 other U.S Representatives that would solve some of the more contentious public lands battles affecting recreationists.

Currently, federal land mangers are managing millions of acres of Wilderness Study Areas (WSA) and Recommended Wilderness Areas (RWA) in a sort of management limbo. Essentially, most of these lands are managed as "de-facto wilderness" even though Congress has not yet actually designated them as such.

This legislation, HR1581, would get Congress off the dime, so to speak, and release Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs) and Inventoried Roadless Areas (IRAs) that have been recommended by their managing agencies, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and U.S. Forest Service, respectively, as not suitable for wilderness,. The legislation would also prohibit the BLM from conducting a never-ending, ongoing Wilderness inventory and review known as "Wild Lands." The BlueRibbon Coalition announced today that it is encouraging its members nationwide to support this effort.

Representative Kevin McCarthy's press release can be viewed here. ]A fact sheet on the bill provided by Rep. McCarthy's office can be viewed here. List of Co Sponsors is here:

###

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national recreation group that champions responsible recreation, and encourages individual environmental stewardship. With members in all 50 states, BRC is focused on building enthusiast involvement with organizational efforts through membership, outreach, education, and collaboration among recreationists.

1-800-BlueRib - www.sharetrails.org