Rocky Mountain Rallye - 2015 - April 10, 11, 12

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Dec 18, 2014.

1. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winter storms at least left me some free time to dial in some wiring. Got both units charging so they should work at least long enough to get me hopelessly stranded when they fail or sucumb to crash damage and I become even less competitive than I am already as a total newb.

[​IMG]
  2. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The RoadBook is the whole point of the event. The navigation is a fun/different way to ride.
  3. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Is a 270 mile day (all special, no transfers) too much? I have an amazing loop drawn out, but I'm thinking I might be pushing it a little...
  4. hardenduro

hardenduro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me it would depend on the terrain.
  5. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I like it! You may want to add some hour-out points throughout the RB, if only for the sake of the sweepers.

:fpalm
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I call it Intellectual Offroading
  7. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I just moved to SLC and a few friends mentioned the rally and convinced me to give it a try. I have a WR450F and looking for "affordable" ways to set it up. Any cheap road book options out there? I am familiar with smaller roll charts from enduros but the rally scene will be new to me. I see some pretty fancy computer set up on here. Any input for a newbie would be appreciated. Thanks

[​IMG]
  8. Durwood

Durwood AKA Chinga D Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in....along with a couple volunteers. Thanks for putting this together Phil! I like the idea of big mileage days. 690 friendly?
  9. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    You can use your stock computer as the odo, (although you won't have the ERTF functions you would have with an iPhone). I rode a '12 WR 450 in the Mexican 1000 a couple years ago and as a back up for the ICO I wired in a KTM switch (any switch would work for that matter) to control the up/down odo function on the stock computer. I can help you with that if you need.
    As far as the RB holder, last year a few people used homemade holders out of plastic boxes. The ipad would be worlds better and you'd have more, but there's an option.
  10. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn... I sold my ICO before I moved since I knew there was no Enduro series out here, doh....
  11. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it isn't 690 friendly I know I'll be in for a sufferfest.:lol3
  12. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    @jolly - Team Tupperware has been done before and had a lot of members last year. Check out a few of the pictures from the thread last year here and see some more pictures in the FB group page here. I will say however, if you want to try to pick up the pace, the manual approach can be a bit frustrating and a less safe. Keep an eye open for a used F2R roadbook holder or go digital if you have a mini around or a use for picking up a used one. As @CC said, the adjustable odo on your Yamaha will work, but as you pick up the pace the location and small digits can be a limiter. As I said before, the BEST thing you can do is get a setup together, any setup, and go and ride with it. I mean hundreds of miles on multiple occasions in nasty, rocky stuff. That will give you a chance to understand what is working and why some setups can hold you back.

The 690 Question....

I've seen people (okay, a person on this thread) on 950's smoke single track and race against little bikes. I ridden with guys on 690s race 250 mile days and smile at the end. Heck, not so long ago heros were racing 950's at Dakar.

Some of the terrain will be tight and nasty. There will be a lot of dirt roads, two tracks, sandy washes, rocks, slickrock, etc. I am laying out the route with little bikes in mind. If someone wants to rock a bigger bike then I say go for it. We'll start those bikes near the front so they have lots of support from the behind and there will be plenty of ways to bail when the day starts to get long. If I were riding a big bike I'd run a mousse in the front and an excellent, new off road tire.

This is not going to be a dual sport ride...if we go for a longer distance on Sat you'll need to ride all day with little/no down time to get back to the Bivouac...I may go with @CC's recommendation and have a cut off time for a certain mileage. You make it to mile xxx in time and you can go on, if not, head back to the camp for a big cook out.
  13. Wyobrew

Wyobrew Missed it by that mu

Oddometer:
    Count me in Phil. Great group of guys last year. Appreciate all the hard work that goes into the route selection. :1drink
  14. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    James & others, if it helps!

I was able to get a used touratech holder for $125 from an awesome inmate. I posted a wanted ad here on advrider and seems that folks have them lying around and aren't using them, but they're just so darn expensive new that people seldom let them go for less than $200-$250 it seems. I lucked out with the touratech that is a heavier old school design but mine works great (I just make sure to keep it well lubed in the gears etc)...

If using Phils new roadbook app, a used iPad generation 1 mini seems to be about $150 used and they are much lighter (1/2 lb for the iPad vs 2.5-3 lbs for most holders I figure), probably about 1.5lbs for an ipad with a case and a mounting system of some sort. So I'm considering an ipad myself even.. Hopefully Phil & crew are able to have it come out in android because those tablets are so cheap! But ipads (and apple products in general) have killer durability.

I'll post my set up from last year.. It was killer and I'd probably use it again other than I set it up a little tall and close to my body so I brushed it a couple times in whoops / technical areas with my helmet beak a couple times, and I'd I have to really look down, versus correct rally style holders that are farther forward and higher up for that reason...

Team tupperware were just awesome dudes and super hilarious last year, some had killer setups and others were dealing with it that moring and it was super cloogey... I think this is why Phil & others are saying try to get your setup dialed now if possible, which I recommend. I was on team tupperware but my setup was super jenky so I abandoned it in favor of just spending a little $$ on it (which is my rec). Jake hobbs with tupperware got something like 4th or 5th on Saturday, and similar on Sunday and Team Tupperware had some truly amazing riders last year at least on the technical side....

hope it helps...
  15. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Phil, With a 250mi loop planned, what kind of range will we need?

Jolly, I have a spare ICO you can use for this, but you'll need a pickup cable, mine died. Then again, does anyone run a single ICO?
  16. Greg@RME

Greg@RME Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any open spots left in this Rally? :D I'm interested, but have never done anything like this... it sounds like a blast! If there aren't any openings, I'd love to spectate, take pics, volunteer as needed, etc.
  17. Jolly705

Jolly705 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg come roll around with me I have ZERO experience in this as well

18. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    @Greg@RME - If you can meet the minimum req - SPOT, Nav equipment, fuel range then we'll figure out how to fit you in. Send me a PM with you name and email and I'll get you on the list.

If we end up light on volunteers we may have to draw straws and have some people help out on one of the days. We'll figure that out as we get closer.

Since we have a lot of people who are doing this for the first time, I'm going to offer some advice. Riding a roadbook event "team tupperware" manual style is doable and can be enjoyable, but I would argue that some of the real fun begins as you pick up some speed. And with speed, the manual roadbook can be a grind and frankly dangerous (think one hand on the bar...) I raced day 1 at the Baja Rally 1.0 with a dead F2R (at mile 2 thank you very much!) and had the blisters on my right hand to prove it along with a few chest plants on the bars at inconvenient times.

What I'm saying is that I suggest you beg, borrow, or steal a solution to get an auto roadbook on your bike. There are some used one's kicking around, and in the past Dave at RMS has had ones to rent. The digital thing is cool as well, but certainly in its infancy and a bit more unpredictable. More important, you are missing the opportunity to mark up your roadbook which is a key part of the learning process as you'll find out.

There were a few home grown powered roadbooks last year with various degrees of success, if you're a DIY'r. A good friend of my powered his roadbook with a K'nex geared motor. It worked excellent!

Keep that in mind as you are building a strategy to make it to the event. If you are keen on building up a little speed, a powered roadbook reader is key.
  19. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

Greg, PM me if you need. We might be all rented out due to NORRA event, but maybe I can help.

Thanks again to Pilo for making this ride happen.
  20. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a manual acerbis that someone can use. In am also going to try and get an iPad and use Pilo's sweet app. If I do I'll have an f2r that someone can borrow.