Rocky Mountain Rallye - 2015 - April 10, 11, 12

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Stovebolt

Stovebolt Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer:
    Justin,

You should go and tear a hunk off of this Raid and get some on ya! I wish I could tag along and get my feet wet too - it looks to be a killer opportunity for a noob like me to learn on. As it is, I'll be in New Mexico running solo at the time. It appears as though there will be some real outstanding talent participating as well.

"Hello" and "good hunting" to Paul Degarate and Dave Peckham! All the best and what a great opportunity that I will feel haunted for having to miss. I hope I can do something like this in the future. Thanks to pilo and Rally crew for putting this on.

Stovey

2. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thank you guys. I'm running a Cyclops rally light, so I'm not sure what my nav tower options are.

Al you may or may not be surprised to hear that you aren't the only one thinking along those lines.

Stovey you dog, New Mexico will still be there after this rally! Casper would appreciate the new shiny bits.
    [​IMG]
  3. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    I like this a lot from last year's thread...

:clap

Regarding tires, I did try the AT81 Desert RCs and honestly, they sketch me out. Probably at least 50% pilot error, but they are slippery SOBs. I've never had the front end leave the front so fast on rutted roads. They get pretty good reviews online, but caveat emptor. They are on the bike now and will be coming off ASAP.

Also regarding tires, do many of you guys use mousses (meese?)
  4. homerj

homerj 742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer:
    moussen :deal
  5. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still on ultra heavy duty tubes, not one flat in literally 4 years? Other than user error (pinch tube on install) and I seem to change a lot of flats for buddies... :D

I have a set of the AT81s I guess I need to mount them up and see how they do. Bummer to hear that, but it's amazing how much tire preference varies person by person.

I put together this thread. My goal was to try to catalog everyone's opinions into a chart or something..
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017444 It's the exact kind of terrain I'm talking about... rocky and loose rocky, sand, and then some tarmac thrown in here and there...

Cliff Notes. There is a Sedona tire that is really interesting that folks think is pretty good
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25741883#post25741883
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=26091384#post26091384

Seems to hold up to rocks but stick well, but not sure how durable it is for lots of milts...
  6. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    Yo, like I said on your thread, I had a weird season... maybe I was running too much pressure as well.

How many of you are MT43-heads? I'm ti(re)-curious.

New drivetrain on the way, mine is just tired out. Wife isn't going to be super happy with that bill... gotta find a (relatively) cheap rally-lite solution :)
  7. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think an mt43 would be one of the worst choices you could make for this type of riding and terrain.
  8. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here's my economy rally build (still in progress) using a Cyclops as the foundation. Maybe you can get some ideas from it. I mounted some old Honda bar clamps and section of bar to the top plate of the light. Then used that as a platform to mount the road book (Otter box/ drilled holes/ slotted and knurled some aluminum bar stock on a lathe). Made a mount for the OEM KTM computer. I still have a voyager below everything as a backup. IPhone with Rally Blitz mounted to the h bars via Lifeproof case/mount. USB charger. CUSTOMMMMM windscreen made from $4.97 trash can.

This setup is not ideal, but far better than what I used last year. As stated earlier, removing your hands from the bars is never a good idea.

A word of advice to any Noobs, GET RALLY BLITZ!!! Last year I was lost in the desert for over 30 miles. Clueless, worried about running out of gas, alone, etc.... I finally had to ask Siri how to get back to Green River UT. Day 2 I had Rally Blitz, and had no problem.

Attached Files:

9. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

10. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

11. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

12. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, I love the MT43 in the Big Horns. Don't know about the desert. I'm curious about the new hybrid tires

Attached Files:

13. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    Sweet Ben I like it and practical for home made and cheap.

Mixed opinions on the hard turn but folks had them last year and they worked. I would have done it but the one I built just didn't work well.

May be better to move these to the bracket thread, but I like it. Also ran the AT81s 185 miles yesterday, posted up info in the tire thread I posted earlier...
  14. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    One quick point that's been stated a bunch of times but just quickly restating. The most solid, and also reasonably priced (especially for what it is) setup is the Highway Dirtbikes setup. He is selling both fork mount and frame mount options. The fork mount options are light enough that it is still totally cool. The Frame mount one goes in pretty easily with some light drilling into your head tube, no welding required.

I've seen a 1/2 dozen of them and they're really bomber and very well designed... So if there is anyone out there who is on the fence about what to get and you're looking for a go-to option, its probably one of the best and easiest ways to go. Cost is super reasonable as well, in my opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a link showing all the setups I found from Google - there are dozens and dozens of people running these, some professionally...

Paul will also be at the Rally, is donating some swag for it, and people can't seem to say good enough things about him, and his products.. I run their bark busters (best on the market by far) and their handlebar top plate, and the whole setup is completely awesome...

-
  15. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup.

Just finished my set up for the upcoming Cortez Rally:

Ready to roll, just need some fresh rubber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a little trick: I put my GPS antennas on top of my clutch and brake reservoirs. No need to make an extra bracket or have more stuff ticking off the nav tower.

[​IMG]
  16. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said Diesel, that HDB stuff really looks great. I've heard nothing but good things about those guys and their products. Can't wait to see everyone in UT, and check out the bikes. I definitely see some HDB goodies in my future.
    The tire thread has been an interesting read. I'm still not sure what to do. Last year I ran a set of 606's. I could deal with the rear fine, but the front seemed unpredictable in the sand. I got used to it eventually. Maybe that swimming sensation is just part of ridding in the sand. It's certainly a different type of riding compared to northern Wyoming....

Pig, great looking bike! Good luck in Cortez

Al
  17. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    I actually like 606s in the rear. They seem to me to be a good mix of pretty stiff and strong but also grip somewhat well, but maybe I have that wrong or am remembering from the last time I rode completely through one (about 3-4 years ago). Good mix of durability versus traction from some of the insanely hard ones in my opinion....

My take is something like a 606 rear would be fine but yes a better intermediate or intermediate/hard tire like a Bridgestone 604 or 404 front would be good. These are awesome in my opinion (I''ve only run the bigger 90/100s, with the thinking being they've be better in the sand). But the sidelugs wear out very quickly on them, in as little as 30 miles on a twisty piece of pavement if its above 70 degrees, for example. But they will still last about 2x versus pretty much any rear tire espcially if you are truly 90-95% off road...
  18. LC4Dakar

LC4Dakar Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been happy with a D606 rear and a Pirelli MT21 front. Good in sand, rocks and mud. Okay on the street.
  19. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    All who are in should have received an email. PM me if not.

[​IMG]

Thanks .fisher for the logo...

Edit: Was told someone found the email in their spam folder. In case someone is looking...
  20. hardenduro

hardenduro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Am I safe in assuming you are referring to the original e-mail? Also when can we expect the info regarding location ,roadbook etc and more important where to send the money. Thanks Fritz