Rocky Mountain Rallye - 2015 - April 10, 11, 12

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Dec 18, 2014.

1. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    This looks like a really cool ride. I wish it was not the same weekend as the Desert 100 up here in WA. I sure would like to try navigation based rally but can't afford the Baja Rally. Are there more of these more mellow versions planned?
  2. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I have the week before the rally off and am looking for people that want to ride near green river. I'm open to riding wherever as long as its a couple hours from green river. Anyone got free time and want to ride? :)
  3. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    For those of us running digitally can we get the PDFs as a roll print out so there are no page gaps?
  4. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Yes
  5. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
  6. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    The other challenge I've created for myself is that I will be ride'n a 2-stroke.
    Will we be refuel'n at the gas pumps, or do gas cans get shuttled to a refuel area???
  7. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A word of caution there.
    When the paper is going forward, only the spool that is going forward should be motorised. Otherwise, due to the difference in paper diameters, more paper is unrolled from the rear spool and there is not enough speed in the front to roll it, ending up like Peter Sellers in ''The Party'' scene in the toilet :D

Use one way clutch bearings and two pulleys in the servo shaft to counteract that problem. Otherwise, keep the forward movement motorised and leave the rewind manual. Unless you plan on getting lost too much, in which case keep the rewind motorised :D

Looking forward to following this event :deal:freaky
  8. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most excellent!
  9. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    10-4. Thanks for the heads up. :thumb
  10. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can only speak for Saturday for refueling, it will be at a gas pump. 100 mile minimum range, unless you plan on being lost for a while, then a bit more. :evil

Getting closer every day!!!!
  11. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Hey Ken - Pack your pre-mix. Gas is only avail at stations. Fri you won't need it ~75 miles, Sunday you pass twice through GR so you could leave some pre-mix at a friendly gas station. Sat you'll need to pack it.
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Perfect. Thank You
  13. Wannabeeuro

Wannabeeuro Tuner chic

Oddometer:
    I'll be on a 2 stroke as well. I'll just carry oil with me.
  14. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still fat and less than 100% but man I'm looking forward to this. Also still dealing with a lot of this white crap on the trails... (yesterday)...

[​IMG]

And this at 7300 ft and above.
    [​IMG]

Fortunately lots of dirt down lower.
    [​IMG]

Yeah still no nav tower installed. My last piece should show up tomorrow and I'll kludge it together, hopefully before Sunday so I can test with some other Wyoming Rally gents. Still no idea how I'm going to get a front facing number on there. :lol3

Looking forward to meeting some like minded folks as well, including some dudes I've followed on Facebook for awhile (talking to you Scotty B) and Mr. Degarate. :thumb
  15. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Hey now K-N , I'm just a washed up old climber and pretty disappointing in person.

This is our busy time and been making cases and nav gear, haven't even started the build I want for this either, so you're not alone.

Also looking forward to meeting up with and putting names with faces, this will be a great time.
  16. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Just finished pre-running the Friday stage. Phil did a great job. The only issues today were of my own doing, nothing wrong with the roadbook, just lack of focus and checking out the scenery. Be forewarned that there are quite a few other tracks in the sand out there, don't just blindly follow the ones in front of you!

Cudo's to theatipaul for making great kit that very quickly has gotten 500 miles on it without a hiccup. Very impressed with the whole thing and both RallyBlitz apps.

I am beginning to think I need to change my screen name!! This pre-running is hard work for a Friday.........not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yeah, the MT43 did just fine today, running it at 12psi. :nod That tire already has 700 miles on it as well. I will say that I will be mounting a Maxxis Desert IT w/mousse on the rear for the rally though since I have one in the garage already. It isn't like I am racing Dakar out there but I did average just over 20mph for the stage with a few photo ops, riding solo and taking it safe.
  17. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    Full court press the last couple of days to get everything sorted before my riding buddy got here and by gawd we managed it. We did about 90 miles of off road roadbook nav rally training today and I think it's one of the funnest things I've done on two wheels, period. What an absolute ball, even better that we rode from my driveway. Pretty high nav load in our country and my riding partner did a really excellent job putting it together. Only one pucker moment when I discovered a barbed wire fence that shouldn't have been there. I'm very curious to see how the RMR compares as far as nav load.... obviously it will be a lot longer. Which should be interesting, because I'm pretty knackered after 90 miles this early in the season.

Coming up on my first ever HP. Well.... nav rally HP anyway. :evil
    [​IMG]

Lots of really good country.
    [​IMG]

On the homeward leg. Found a guy on a 1975 KZ1000 (I think?) broke down about a mile from my house and stuck around until we got him going again. What an absolute ball.
    [​IMG]

Certainly some lessons learned. Mount the ICO/CAP on top, duh! Also gotta get supplementary power to my iPhone. Touch screens aren't super fun with gloves on. I was a bit surprised that my little Redneck Rally nav tower held up. The Tuperware roadbook design is pretty ingenious, it uses a little ratchet wrench mechanism and a hot start lever mounted to the top of my clutch fluid reservoir and works perfectly.

Speaking of the kit, I'm so impressed by Rally Blitz and roadbooks produced by Rally Navigator. WELL DONE dudes. Obviously the roadbook quality depends a lot on the guy making it (and he did a most-excellent job), but the tool itself is so cool and I absolutely could not believe the accuracy.

So fun. Why wasn't I doing this 20 years ago?
  18. rides2little

Oddometer:
    My sentiments exactly. Looks like you have your stuff sorted well. Will definitely want to take a look at your road book scroll mechanism when you get down here in a few weeks time. Having the ODO and CAP up further makes life easier. I find that I get more monkey butt when navigating as I haven't found the best way to stand and read more. :lol3 Guess it isn't just the calluses on the hands that need building for events like this...
  19. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    I was able to stand but certainly easier if the ODO/CAP is up higher. It's interesting when you get behind the ball and there's lots of nav and rough trail at the same time... I had to sit down for some of those ;)
  20. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    My fully loaded pack is pretty heavy. Any of y'all use a Giant Loop on the rally? I used it during the Desert 100 and was the only one... yeah it slows down the bike, but it also takes all that load off of your back and neck.

J