1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocky Mountain Rallye - 2015 - April 10, 11, 12

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Dec 18, 2014.

1. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know one rider will use something like the Mojave on his 350 for fuel and such so you wont be the only one.
  2. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Several guys used Mojavi's, including myself in the Baja Rally. Great for tubes, tools and fuel if you have a small tank.
  3. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    I'm still on the fence if I should put forth the effort to run an iPhone and Rally Blitz. Seems pretty damn cool.
  4. rides2little

Oddometer:
    The Waypoint and Caution features are great and will make the HP sections more fun as it tells you when you have acquired the location and can head off on the next CAP heading.
  5. OLDBEN

OLDBEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only 10 days away ladies, can't wait!!!!!
  6. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    a bunch of guys had cheapo/ older apply headphones rubber banded to their handlebars. If they have the up/down volume feature you put that part near your thumb and all of a sudden you have the ability to adjust the ICO. Least year I restisted and just cut the finger tip off a glove, which worked well until I head overed into that mud bog... The headphone solution is a great patch...

Phil is also testing a bluetooth version that uses real buttons too.. I hope he starts selling those at some point...
  7. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up the $40 iPhone 4 (edit: I lied - it was $60 and I had a gift card) off of Fleabay and Rally Blitz works flawlessly so far. It's easy to see (changed mine to white background and blue text) and adjusting up and down is easy assuming you can get to the screen. I'm going to look into the headphone thing, the little stylus I was using didn't work well through the screen cover. Resetting mileage takes a little more finesse just because the numbers are so small but for those of us used to typing on a phone not that bad. Be advised that you will definitely need external power, mine ate the battery in 2 hours, which may inform your choice of case/cover. I'm going to have to do some dremel work to my Lifeproof handlebar mount to allow an external plug.

10 days... holy shizz this is getting real.
  8. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Yes the Waypoint (WPM) and Caution features are my primary interest! So cool!
    I have plenty of ram balls and an iPhone 4 laying around just need a decent case and wire in a power cord.
    The life proof case is on Amazon for $35
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WF9OHI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_reSgvb06YKA1C
    My question is how are you guys attaching it to the bike?
  9. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    My Redneck Rally theme continues in mounting the Life Proof Case. Stupid ball mount on the case is a non-standard size, or it would be extremely easy to mount to a RAM base.

[​IMG]

Edit: FYI I'm moving this above the road book tonight.
  10. rides2little

Oddometer:
    This was my solution before I had the full HDB front kit to mount it to.

[​IMG]

and the underside to show the RAM balls mounted

[​IMG]

Just a thin plate of aluminum and it has held up fine. Originally before the Iphone case I just had it ziptied down and never had any issues with it coming off. You can see the rubber grommets I put in the holes to keep the metal from cutting the zip tie and to help isolate the phone a bit as well. The volume buttons on the phone work the ODO too so if you can get to those through the case you don't necessarily need to use the touch screen.
  11. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    The only issue with the cases is that they can sometimes overheat. I actually just use a super cheap 4 case, not waterproof at all, and two zip ties. I drilled and mounted a couple bolts into a RAM mount... The iphones hold up great with dust, rain, etc. A lot of people have them lying around. I posted on Facebook and found 3 iphone 4s lying around in our town alone that people didn't want. Just reset then / erase them, install rally blitz only, maybe a GPS program (with downloaded maps via wifi, and you're good to go...

Rally Blitz is absolutely the way to go. Hopefully everyone figures this out. For example I was reading the mexican rally thread, I can't believe all the trouble they are having to go to try to get all this sorted...
  12. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Not sure which Mexican rally or what "trouble" you're referring to?

For the coming Cortez Rally in Mexico we've got it all sorted out, at zero additional cost to most if not all competitors. Recorded tracks, emergency course and escape maps, excellent WPM functionality, and real-time satellite tracking. In addition we'll have two new devices being tested by Quinn Cody and other competitors, for future rally use, which both include important safety features that will be a welcome addition to these type of racing events.
  13. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Please Scott, try not to feel so threatened or sensitive about anything mentioned about your rally by others here.

We all realize by now you must have it all sorted, but this is not the time or place to debate all that, you can always start your own thread for it, if you feel the need.

Thanks for all your work Phil and crew on the Rocky Mountain Rallye!
  14. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Not threatened at all. As I clarified, all is well at Cortez. And clearly all is well with Rocky Mountain Rallye. Sounds like an excellent ride. Wish I could join in that fun! Just curious what troubles in which mexican rally are being referenced by diesel? If there are problems, people should be made aware. And to be fair, they should know which event is being referenced. Perhaps he could post that comment in the unknown thread he referenced rather than here, so it can be addressed there rather than here?
  15. theantipaul

Oddometer:

Wonderful Scott, glad to hear that you’re not one of those guys that demand an explanation of every off hand remark said on the internet.

But to be clear, for clarification purposes, out of courtesy, let’s discuss the RMR here. :dhorse

8 days to go and I still haven’t started my build, did get out over half of the iPad/iPhone setups yesterday. iPad cases are all spoken for, but if anyone out there still needs an iPhone case for the RMR please let me know.
  16. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    Sorry...! didn't mean to cause any debate... I was referring to when I read it maybe something like 3 weeks ago or maybe longer where it appeared people would have to have seperate GPS units just for hidden waypoint functionality and also appear to go from novice to how to use them. I have maybe 5 years on my 78 and while it works well, the interface is just so clunky and non-intuitive and the process of downloading and importing the GPX files seemed like a lot of manual work for an organizer. Maybe I have that wrong? Not trying to cause any issues. At the time as I was reading it I just kept thinking to myself about it "if only they were using rallyblitz..." because it's such an awesome setup and it's so dialed for this... Which is why I recommend it so strongly.

Great to hear you have it sorted and sorry you can't make it...! With luck at sometime in my life I can come to Baja and do at least one of those events, and specifically Cortez (though Mexican sounds awesome too, expecially maybe in a vintage car...!)

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.. Super psyched about RMR..! finaly I'm in the home stretches of getting my setup finalized and tested... Wiring only... T minus 8 days..!
  17. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    I’m starting my build today, it's been crazy busy, so better late then never,

Will be wiring a new top clamp, with final iPhone case design,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All digital tower that will swap out with my Aurora RB holder with 4 M8 bolts and 2 plugs,

[​IMG]

All frame mounted.

[​IMG]

New wheels and big pegs thanks to Kevin at Warp 9,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Courtesy of the retired judge from Florida that tweaked the stockers and totaled my LandCruiser making a U-turn on I70 in front of us on the way to last years rallye.

Need to change oil and filters, and I’ll be ready. More to come.
  18. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Looking like a solid start Antipaul. Are planning on running both all digital and the Aurora at some point in the rallye or just as backup?
  19. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the usps notice, I owe you huge!

I wish you only had 8 hours, what you can pull off in a week will put my setup to shame and I started months ago. :lol3
  20. K_N_Fodder

Oddometer:
    I barfed in my mouth a little about how clean this wiring setup is.... mine is... not.... :cry