1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Rocky Mountain Rallye - 2015 - April 10, 11, 12

Discussion in 'Racing' started by pilo, Dec 18, 2014.

1. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    A quick update. There is a very good chance RallyBlitz 1.4 will be in the itunes store before the rally. If it is, you'll need to update RB (no cost, but you'll need to get the latest version). I'll let everyone know in the next couple of days.

For the few still on the fence with RB, the WPM functions along with the rest really does add to the experience and especially in the dunes, is very welcome to let you know you're hitting the course correctly. It's not required though. If I were going to do a last minute RB setup, I'd ask on FB if someone has an iphone 4/4S I can have or just get the $60 ebay ones. Wire up a 12V socket with a USB plug taped in (or get the blue sea systems one). I'd stick in in a $10 plastic case from Amazon and ziptie it or RAM mount it somewhere in a ziplock bag. Look at this post to see what Ken used pre-running last year. Dead simple and worked perfectly.

Everything else is pointing towards a kick-off next Friday. Chris ran the Friday stage and WITH dictating notes on some of my less detailed instructions put in a time of ~3:50. I'd say without all the extra hassle of looking for my mistakes that put him solidly in the 3:30 time frame. If you've never navigated before, I'd give yourself at least 6 hours of sunlight to ride the Friday stage...
  2. rides2little

rides2little Braaaaaap Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was test dummy for version 1.4 of the iPhone app last week and it worked better than 1.3 in regards to cautions and a few other 'enhancements' that I will let Phil talk about.

For those that haven't used the app with waypoints on a route, you can open the waypoint list to see if you have missed any, preferably while stopped. When you have 'acquired' the point they get a little line through them in the list to show that you have gotten it. Pretty cool to see them all checked off when you are done with the route.

Can't wait put some faces with names next week. This is going to be fun!!! :freaky

And just for reference for those traveling here for the event and Phil's last comment;

Friday April 10

Sunrise: 6:52am
    Sunset: 7:52pm
  3. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    Pretty torn on that Chris, I’ve been running and testing the all digital, but on the triples so I still need to get all the wiring setup for swapping out because I want to run the iPad on a frame mount this summer for the Tour de Idaho.

Thing is the Aurora MK1 is such a beautiful piece of engineering that I can’t resist. Here are some of the features that just jump out at you over all the rest of the old school gear.

Here’s the MK1 on one of Dimitri’s many brackets.

[​IMG]

Easy pull tabs so you don't have to take your gloves off, not that big a deal, but you start to get the idea that thought was put into every aspect of the design.

[​IMG]

Take the cover off and you see something missing from all other holders, a plexi center piece that along with some accompanying strips on the cover, forces the paper roll flat.

[​IMG]

Now one of the best features, pop the cassette out so that you can easily load, maintain and mark the paper roll. Just brilliant!

[​IMG]

A look inside will show you the greatest attention to detail in the wiring, even the solder joints sealed against possible failure as well as the case penetrations use high quality sealed cable connectors, not just rubber grommets.

[​IMG]

So from a technical point of view this is so cool it's kind of irresistible. It's not for everyone, but for the true race crowd it's the best out there by far. I'll be bringing a couple of spare iPad/iPhone rigs so if guys kill their setups, trad or digital, I can loan them out.
  4. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    With just one iPhone w/RallyeBlitz you can eliminate the trip, cap and GPS. The WPM functionality is just so cool, after Phil and Rich released it last year now others are popping up everywhere.
  5. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow that rb holder looks awesome. My first rally on my f2r one of the knobs fell off. Now the solder joints need repair. It probably has a couple thousand miles on it. So far my bike build has been fixing my f2r more then building my bike. :(

If I didn't already have it I'd be mounting one of your iPad setups though. Too easy and to bombproof not to go that route. And before I get slammed by the hardcore race crowd I mean a slick system for the avg joe since its not legal YET in all rallies. :)
  6. rides2little

Oddometer:
    Paul, I have been following the thread on the Aurora and really like the whole concept. I would like to take a look at the holder at some point over the rallye.

Chris
  7. dieselcruiserhead

dieselcruiserhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool. I wonder what it weighs...! My old school Touratech is insane I think -- almost 3lbs!!! Mines been holding up but I keep it well lubed and clean. It has maybe a 10th of the those features, but works for the most part. I know a lot of folks never liked them because they aren't that durable...

-
  8. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    You'll be more then welcome to Chris.

I'll weigh the 2 and let you know.

So a bit more progress today, first siliconed the dash LED's,

[​IMG]

While that setup I started in on the junction block,

[​IMG]

Made some jumpers and started populating the connectors.

[​IMG]

I decided to use toggles for this top clamp, with the spade connectors I can quickly and easily change the config for the circuits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the bike powered up and ready for the harness to the tower.

[​IMG]
  9. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    Nice work Paul! I'm a little behind on my bike(s) prep, ill get to it next week.

Parts are looking awesome! Super beefy and amazing fit and finish, well done!

I'm looking forward to trying out the new stuff in RallyBlitz especially the ERTF functions!
    :freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO
    It is the best Road book on the Market !!!
  11. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    More "training" today. ;) Snowline must be around 7,500 ft.

[​IMG]
  12. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Email has been sent out to the riders. If you did not get it, check your spam folder.

[​IMG]
  13. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have fun guys make sure you wear your longjohns!!!
  14. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Email received.
    Looks great, thx for all your hard work Phil!
    Flew into SLC yeaterday with the fam for spring break in Park City. Looking for a kinkos or somewhere to print my road book. It would be cool to find somewhere to print the full continuous roll, but I'm not holding out hope. I'm very familiar with cutting and taping.
    -Team Fly-n-Ride

Oh, and for those coming from sea-level, don't underestimate the elevation factor (~7000 ft here). Even though I'm somewhat fit, I have felt a little winded just doing stairs.
  15. rides2little

Oddometer:
    There is a Staples out at Kimbal Junction and there is PC PrintInk in the Prospector area, by the 7-11, Club Lespri on Sidewinder Drive.

Not sure about the continuous roll but both places can get you taken care of otherwise.
  16. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the email and everything loaded up into my digital setup. Going to use iAnnotate to try and highlight tulips and see where that gets me.

STOKED!
  17. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    I'm in Park City out near the junction and could print them off if you'd like if you'd like to stop by... I'll be doing it myself including the cut and tape party in the next evening or two...

thanks, Andre
  18. dieselcruiserhead

Oddometer:
    Frank and I tested our setups on Saturday. Great day and in typical Frank fashion we didn't attempt to bypass any gnarly singletrack at all even with our setups and Frank with 5+ gallons of fuel....

Appears that it will hold up well...

[​IMG]
  19. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I Love Crafts !!!!!! :jump
  20. rides2little

Oddometer:
    How many highlighter color options are there in iAnnotate? I searched a bit today, both PC based and iPad based and the problem I kept finding was many would only highlight text, or only had yellow.....

Waiting with anticipation of your trial run here. Let me know please.