Roll Call - Aprilia Caponord 1200 North America Owners

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Colorado Bryee, Jun 19, 2014.

  1. NickW1

    NickW1 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Oddometer:
    371
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks Boogaloo, the day I picked mine up last November the dealer told me they installed a new MAP from the factory. Had to do with a fueling fix so said the dealer. I have not experienced any issues such as you stated, however I ride mostly at sea level. I'm getting good mileage from this big twin at 42mpg, surprising for a bike with this much horse power, torque and my 200lbs with all the shit I tote with me. So I guess I can see where if the EFI MAPs aren't perfect, at high altitude things could get dicey.

    I'm leaving for a week long trip tomorrow if I can get the big girl past the snow and ice that has inundated my neighborhood, once I get to the hard road we'll be ok, gonna give the traction control a work out for those first two miles though. I'm so over winter:baldy
    #21
  2. BrittC

    BrittC Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2009
    Oddometer:
    508
    Location:
    Westmont, IL
    Do any of you Capo 1200 owners have specs or a bulb number for your rear turn signal / indicator bulbs?

    I grafted a set of your turn signals to my 1000 and need some replacement bulbs - higher wattage so my signal relay will function AND make me more visible in traffic.

    [​IMG]


    Thanks!
    #22
  3. Michelangelo

    Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,898
    Location:
    Rocky Mountain West
    I am a new owner here in Utah, USA
    #23
  4. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Hello Capo 1200 Owners!

    I took a test ride on a new Capo a few days ago while my Stelvio was in for service (dealer tossed me the keys, filled the tank, and said go have fun :wink: ). Wow. What a nice bike! I was thoroughly impressed with pretty much everything, especially the power and smoothness of the engine. If I didn't know better I would have sworn on a pile of kittens that it was a 4 cylinder and not a twin. Extremely smooth running, even at....ummm....elevated RPMs. :wink:

    Now a couple of questions.....

    Twice during my ride (several hours), after stopping for a minute or two I pushed the starter and the bike would just shut off, just like I switched the key off. Once it just came back on it's own then would start, once I had to switch the key off then on and it started. Is this a known issue? I'm thinking it may have been a dying battery because the bike had been sitting (a bit dusty....sad) and I know that's a common symptom, especially with the Italian bikes, but what do you all think?

    Next, ADD. I read the manual and to switch from AUTO to another mode, you cycle to the ADD selection via Button B, then switch modes via Button A. On this bike, no bueno. I tried briefly holding Button A, holding Button A in for a few seconds, doing a chicken dance while pressing Button A, nothing worked. Was the ADD FUBAR on this bike? Is this a known problem? I know on my Ducati 1200 Multi the DES was prone to failure, but it would throw the evil DES ERROR when that system failed to behave, but on this bike, no error message of any kind, just stuck in AUTO...... :dunno

    -SM
    #24
  5. NickW1

    NickW1 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Oddometer:
    371
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    Here you go Britt. Looks very nice by the way.

    AP8127489 Lamp RY10W 12V
    #25
  6. NickW1

    NickW1 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Oddometer:
    371
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    No, both issues above are not "know problems."

    Note the key word below is briefly.

    CONTROL BUTTONS ON INSTRUMENT PANEL​
    The instrument panel has two control buttons "A" and "B" to allow access to certain​
    functions and settings of the digital display, among which:​
    - ATC;​
    - ADD;​
    - ABS;​
    - Calibration;​
    - Instrument panel backlighting;​
    - Service functions.

    By briefly pressing button "B", it is possible to view the ATC, ADD, ABS functions in cycle. ​

    ADD (Aprilia Dynamic Damping)​
    To modify the value of the preload function displayed, briefly press button "A", which will modify the type of intervention according to the driver's needs.​
    The system is identified by a series of symbols that correspond to a certain type of​
    specific setting:​
    - The helmet corresponds to the preload setting with only the driver on board​
    - The helmet and suitcase corresponds to the preload setting with the driver and luggage​
    - Two helmets correspond to the preload setting with driver and passenger​
    - Two helmets and a suitcase correspond to the preload setting with driver, passenger​
    and luggage​
    - Two helmets and a suitcase blinking in sequence correspond to the preload setting​
    in automatic mode
    #26
  7. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I tried brief, I tried a bit shorter than brief, I tried a bit longer than brief, and of course I tried the chicken dance. :lol3 Nada.

    It was probably "user error" on my part just not being familiar enough with the controls. doG knows it took me long enough to get the cruise control figured out. Worked great once engaged, but sheesh....they could have made it a lot easier to manage, similar to what Triump, BMW, and KTM have done.....

    I alerted the dealer to the bike "shutting off" when I pressed the starter, so hopefully they will have that sorted for the next rider.

    Still loved the bike... :thumb

    -SM
    #27
  8. NickW1

    NickW1 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Oddometer:
    371
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    Yes the cruise could have been better engineered. They should have place it on the clutch side like the new BMW's; however, now that I'm use to it its a non issue for me. Its a great bike so much bang for the buck. Some of my fellow Nords in the U.K. have had fueling issues at low speed on the 2014 models and some have complained about loose nuts/bolts but mine has been tighter than a Bulls ass in fly season so no complaints here.

    I just did a quick 600mi trip and avg 46.4 MPH fully loaded, astounding for a bike with this much power IMO.

    Cheers,
    #28
  9. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    Completely agree on bang for buck. I've heard the Rally is just a bit more (maybe $500) so my Guzzi better behave or else

    -SM
    #29
  10. rixter66

    rixter66 n00b

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    Oddometer:
    1
    Location:
    Eugene, Or
    Howdy all,
    New to the community with a 2015 Caponord 1200, white. Just starting to add things to it such as the Givi top case. I am interested in mounting auxiliary lights and plan to set them up in he fork tubes. I was wondering what the best way is to hook then into the electrical system. Should I piggy back then off the high beams or create a separate switch? Any input would be helpful.

    Attached Files:

    #30
  11. NickW1

    NickW1 Been here awhile

    Joined:
    May 28, 2010
    Oddometer:
    371
    Location:
    Virginia, USA
    Welcome Rixter, I personally prefer a separate fuzed switch so that subject lights can operated independently of the other lights, but that's just opinion. Very nice Glam White Capo.

    BTW you may want to check out the Aprilia forum sponsored by AF1. Lots of good data there as well as here.
    #31
  12. rdbandkab

    rdbandkab Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Oddometer:
    291
    Location:
    northern panhandle of WV
    Bump-
    Glam White 2015 here with the accessory matching trunk. Purchased used with 1100 miles on it. Only issue is the fuel gauge reading smallest bar even upon a fill up.

    northern panhandle of WV.
    richy
    #32
  13. Michelangelo

    Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

    Joined:
    May 23, 2005
    Oddometer:
    1,898
    Location:
    Rocky Mountain West
    I'm in Utah County.
    #33
  14. ARiderX

    ARiderX Long timer

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2014
    Oddometer:
    1,372
    Location:
    Western Europe
    Prophetic words, guess the Guzzi didn't behave ... :-)
    #34
  15. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    In fairness to the Goose, it's been flawless. As I messed with the fueling/ignition maps, it's been running better and better. I just decided I wanted to move to the lower weight/lower height of the Rally now before Aprilia decides to stop importing them....again. I missed out on a Capo Rally Raid back 10'ish years ago and always kicked myself for not pulling the trigger. The new bike will hopefully be that perfect mix (for me) of a little bit Ducati (great motor!), a little bit KTM (light for a beast, but durable), and a little bit BMW (comfy for the long haul). I'm especially interested in taking it offroad and pounding that active suspension and seeing how it holds up. :thumb

    -SM
    #35
  16. ARiderX

    ARiderX Long timer

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2014
    Oddometer:
    1,372
    Location:
    Western Europe
    I read about that, in my attempt to read up on a lot of bikes while planning a purchase. I was definitely very interested by the goos, even though I ended up with almost quite the opposite. (I'm not bound by a certain type/brand of bike).

    I read how quite a lot of people were messing with the maps. It seemed complicated, and never-ending. Which honestly put the goos a few steps back on my short list. Don't like messing with stuff, having to study and read up about ECU's just to have the bike run properly, which it should have done right out of the crate. Takes a lot of time I'd rather spend doing something else.

    In any case, I heard the capo has one of the best, smooth mappings available right out of the box. So maybe you won't have to go there with the capo.

    Any news on when you'll be bringing it home?
    #36
  17. oalvarez

    oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,073
    Location:
    CA HWY 2
    From my own experience and in speaking to other owners there definitely is a noticeable surging issue in and around the 4,500-5,000 rpm range. Not terrible but not good either.
    #37
  18. Sock Monkey

    Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Oddometer:
    3,135
    Location:
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
    I wouldn't say the process is "never ending". I'm quite happy with where my ECU is at right now and have been for a while. Of course it's a moot point as the big girl goes away when I pick up the Rally, which should be in a few days.

    I do agree, maps should be smooth as a babies arse right out of the crate, but I've yet to ride a modern twin where that's been the case. Typically the "lumpiness" is toward the bottom of the rev range, and that was the case with the Guzzi. The 2015 Capo I test rode had a bit of this around 2500rpm, but nothing in the range that Obie felt. I'm not sure if this is due to a new bike vs. a bike that has been fully run in or just differences between bikes, but I should know more on this shortly.

    -SM
    #38
  19. rdbandkab

    rdbandkab Been here awhile

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2006
    Oddometer:
    291
    Location:
    northern panhandle of WV
    I've noticed a little "issue" between 3000-4000 rpm. I'm going to reset the handles and throttle and see if that helps. This bike may have not been properly set-up by the original bike shop, so I'll have my local aprilia dealer check the map situation. I'm sure the engine will loosen up a bit with a few more miles too.
    As for the Stelvio, it wasn't too bad out of the box, but I loaded a different map when I installed the Mistral carbon slip-on.

    richy
    #39
  20. SteveinNorwalk

    SteveinNorwalk Adventurer

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2015
    Oddometer:
    19
    Location:
    Des Moines, IA
    Wake up - someone else bought a glam white Capo last October. I think we are all here now. It was me. I've been busy riding and just found this thread. Des Moines Iowa and over 6500 miles. Most of it riding to Daytona Beach last month for bike week.

    I was the only Aprilia on the strip. I saw one other Capo at a dealer in downtown Daytona. On the way, I made a detour to Tail of the Dragon for some curvy stuff. In fact I rode curvy stuff all through Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. I hit interstates again in Florida. I also rode Iowa country roads, lots of flat interstates, packed sand at Daytona Beach, triple digit 14 lane freeways in Atlanta to maintain speed with traffic and through a mangrove forest in Florida looking for a camping spot.

    The only negative to report is the amount of oil I'm burning. I used over a quart on the Daytona trip. As a former BMW rider, this seemed excessive. I changed the oil when I got back to royal purple and have put on another several hundred miles locally using a few ounces. The bike doesn't leak, I'm blowing it out the back. I called the dealer and was told this is not excessive for a big V twin. It's excessive for an opposed twin or inline four, I know that for sure. Other than that, the bike has run flawlessly. I sold my R1100GS and my big K LT Beemer is for sale. This bike serves both purposes. It's light, maneuverable and a rascal like the GS, but is as comfortable as a full dress touring bike going down the highway. It doesn't have the wind protection as a big touring pig, but after upgrading the miserable stock windshield to a GIVI, I'm as protected as on any new GS. I have the optional Shad rear trunk and I don't know if this is a good idea. The bike was delivered with the trunk and I took the big trip with the trunk, but after returning home and removing it, I've found the bike handles twice as good without it. Amazing how that trunk, even empty affects the bike's balance and handling.

    I replaced the rear tire in Jacksonville on the way down. I was past the wear bars on the stock tire at 3500 miles and worn flat in the middle. I replaced it with a multi compound Bridgestone sport tire knowing that when I replace the front tire, I'll make a permanent decision about shoes for her. I have the only Capo sold in Iowa. My local dealer bailed on Aprilia two months after I bought the bike so the nearest dealer is now 200 miles away. I blame the assholes at Hicklin Power Sports in Grimes Iowa more than I do Aprilia. I went there shopping for a KTM and spotted the Aprilia and couldn't stop thinking about it and when it went on sale, I had to buy it. I have no buyers regret. I may have bought the bike anyway. I just think moto dealers should be less smarmy and give full disclosure.

    I think the bike is beautiful in white. It turns heads everywhere. Around here, she's always the pretty girl in a sea of Harley tractor bikes. While doing hot runs in near isolation at the Tail of the Dragon, I came across two new Triumphs: a speed triple and Tiger 800. They were parked together at Deals Gap at the southern end. I parked next to them in "euro parking" and went inside. When I came out both Triumph owners were circling the Capo. They had never seen one and they loved it. I think what they really admired was the exclusivity. Here two guys show up on two different Triumphs whose combined sales are in the low hundreds and some guy in an even rarer Capo shows up and parks beside them. I should have taken a picture. I didn't realize how few of their bikes there were until after I got home.

    I believe this bike will be dependable. I'm planning several more trips this year. I like the idea of an unlimited mile 24 month factory warranty. I should have close to 25 thousand by the end of riding season in Iowa. The bike was so reasonably priced, that I splurged and bought another warranty that extends 3 more years. I'll keep an eye on oil usage and hopefully it will decrease as the miles increase. DSC00276.JPG

    Here is the video:
    #40