Rollins/Corona Pass *new* Singletrak Colorado

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Kawasakirob, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Phone, Wallet, Keys Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alas, there might be a light at the end of the tunnel for turning this historical route into a legal singletrak trail. This will not be a road, this will not be a ATV route and it will not be big bike friendly (for now).

There were people in the past, who have tried relentlessly with no movement forward but currently, we need to once again pursue this endeavor. All available resources need to be apart of this movement, old and new.

I recently learned from the Headwaters Trails Alliance that the Grand Mountain Bike Alliance and the Boulder Mountainbike Alliance are seeking to build a multiple mile mountain bike/hiking trail up and over from yankee doodle lake to Winter Park via the pass.

There is no reason why we as paying motorized users should not be able to snag a piece of that pie. I am not talking about being able to use their entire proposed route, but I am talking about using less than a miles worth of the proposed route which I will be working directly with HTA, GMBA, GCMC, the USFS (on the grand county side) and COHVCO to obtain.

What is needed, are updates from the other side of the divide. The BMBA side. If you have any information or are willing to work together and meet up to discuss game plans please send me a PM.

A road will not work. But a singletrak off the boulder wagon route, an already established legal motorized trail west of the needles eye tunnel, could easily link the singletrak from one route to the other.

Screenshot_20190703-174420_Maps.jpg

To say this would be a mega win for motorized use is an understatement. From what was mentioned, the outlook is 5yrs which seems like a lot of time but that is really a short time when dealing with the government for creating a proposed motorized trail. The new singletrak being built up on Sherman Creek was a 4yr ordeal as an example.

Updates will be posted here, please post up your thoughts and ideas, let's get this.
    mmanniko, Rogue_Ryder, JMGCO and 3 others like this.
  2. cloudcamper

cloudcamper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This would be fantastic Rob - Steve Green was very active in the past in trying to get something accomplished and is currently active on the NOCAR Facebook group.
    He lives near Golden. I can get you guys hooked up if you would like his input!!

If there is any way to avoid Boulder County land that might make it possible as Boulder County attitudes about more (or any) vehicular traffic across the pass is the main political sticking point according to Steve.

But my understanding is even that short one mile section across the top you have indicated is wilderness area but there is a non wilderness corridor designated in the original James Peak Wilderness Act that permits vehicular access but that is probably on Boulder County land (just guessing here).

Sent PM.
    Kawasakirob and dirtydoug like this.
  3. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. _CJ

_CJ Retrogrouch

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  5. jjmead1

jjmead1 now THAT"S a bike!

Oddometer:
    Sorry, are you asking for contacts in the BMBA?
    I mountain bike and moto. I have a few friends in the boulder area but not sure if they are in the BMBA.
    Used to wrench in a few shops up there, and can say aligning with them is going to be hard but not impossible.
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I think it's the Boulder Wagon Trail road just to the north that is the non-wilderness corridor and has a gas line running on/next to it (so someone must drive it to access it) and was suppose to be accessible but Boulder keep it from happening.

An inmate posted awhile back they have family land right next to or up to the BWR.

Dropped pin
    Near Boulder County, CO
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/tmkAZUwYg1jJLats8
    Kawasakirob likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So that blue drawn line is actually in Wilderness? That going to be one hell of a fight to get that open for the bicycles let alone any motos. Almost damn near impossible if Boulder has any say.
    You can see where some motos have illegally cut over in the past.

Hikers and mtb hike-a-bike can do this all now anyway or scramble around the needle.

I'd love to see this happen but not holding my breath for any moto access.
  8. _CJ

_CJ Retrogrouch

Oddometer:
    Any wheels in Wilderness will require an act of Congress. Merely possessing a wheel in Wilderness is a federal crime regardless of whether or not it's touching the ground. A senator from Utah just introduced legislation to change that, but the dems are sure to block it again.
  9. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Project name: Indian Peaks Traverse

Currently, and according to this map the route they are using now goes around the gate at Jenny, and takes them right next to the blue route I highlighted above in the original post , as going around needles eye does not leave many options on either side.

Trail map via ipt website:

Screenshot_20190706-082104_Drive.jpg

And the proposed route for the ipt via satellite. It is possible, that this rd, could be another option for us, and a connector to Yankee Doodle lake.

Screenshot_20190706-084006_Maps.jpg
  10. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    I do not believe it's in wilderness, but it could be in a protection area. Granted, if it's in a protection area, motorized trails are allowed, but no new motorized trails are allowed to be built. Since this trail is already in place, it could in theory be switched over. We will see, looking to come up with a solid proposal (or two) to furn into the fs by September.
    eakins likes this.
  11. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Yes, mainly to talk with someone from the club, to figure out if we can attend one of their meetings in person. I'm following their fb page, and unfortunately that's where my knowledge with them ends. After a while I might just send them an email.
  12. cloudcamper

cloudcamper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally behind your efforts Rob, just a thought though, another great project would be to recover the Argentine Pass singletrack from the pass down to Peru Creek near Montezuma. There is no wilderness areas involved it would just be a matter of restoring the currently severe trail washouts perhaps with volunteers.

This project might be done in parallel with the Rollins Pass trail.

Summit County seems much more agreeable to motos and if we tried both projects at once we might at least score a partial win for our troubles and would provide extra momentum for taking on Boulder County.

Just a thought.

Attached Files:

sceep, Kawasakirob and Rossmoesis like this.
  13. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great section. Is it currently a legal rideable trail?

I've planned on hitting it.
  14. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    If only there were a road, graded and used by government types to get around....if only...
  15. cloudcamper

cloudcamper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It might be rideable for an expert trials rider.
    Don't believe it's a legal route currently although there are no signs posted at the top. Not sure if there are signs at the Peru Creek end. Not on the MVUM at any rate.

A few riders have attempted the top down ride but I don't think anyone has made it past the washouts recently. I think the 2013 floods made them a lot worse.

You should probably hike it first to see how bad the washouts have become since the floods.

Attached Files:

16. cloudcamper

cloudcamper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is - the Boulder Wagon Road and there is a pipeline across the divide adjacent to the road.

And according to the James Peak Wilderness Act, Boulder County is required by law to maintain 2wd vehicular access over the pass but that only lasted until the Needles Eye Tunnel collapsed in 2009, then refused to spend any money to fix the tunnel.

One cheap solution is just to blast open the top of the tunnel and just make it an open trench. Another solution is just to open the Boulder Wagon Road but that would require some upgrades as it has gotten very rough.

Another problem is that the trestles just west of the tunnel have significantly degraded making them possibly unsafe for heavier vehicles.

But just opening the Boulder Wagon Road to motos and atv's would cost very little.
  17. _CJ

_CJ Retrogrouch

Oddometer:
    If it's not on the MVUM, it's "undocumented". There was a time when the standard was that anything that wasn't signed as being closed/illegal was okay to ride, but that has changed. Signage on the ground doesn't matter, and is often at odds with the current MVUM's, but the MVUM is all that matters. Just this year, I've gotten into using Avenza maps on my phone provided by the forest service, and they're fantastic. Real time GPS location on a MVUM for whatever region you want.

18. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:

Exactly. Which is why all of this is an academic excersize. The road is there, it works just fine but rangers like their own pretty road and don't wanna share so we just stand around asking about new trails. Why?
    dirtydoug likes this.
  19. dirtydoug

dirtydoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has been all gone through.... Boulder says "NO"... and they dont care what the agreement WAS....

Because Boulder wont ever do it..... its a lost cause... and i wont step foot in boulder ...EVER

jimco and _CJ like this.
  20. Kawasakirob

Oddometer:
    Tell us something we dont know. If boulder....yes boulder....is allowing a mechanized singletrak to be built for mountain bikers, that is a significant step in the right direction, and could be all we need to get our foot in the door. Dont be that guy, or if you are, continue to ride that section no matter the outcome.