Romania 2020

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by ODogs, Dec 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ODogs

ODogs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello all,
    Recently retired and planning a motorcycle tour in Europe with by better half. After considering many different countries, routes and tour companies, we've narrowed it down to Romania. This was primarily for the understanding that it's a bit less crowded, relatively cheap, safe and has fantastic roads through the Carpathian mountains. Does anyone have first-hand experience with Romanian Tours romanianmotorcycletours.com ? Feel free to PM me if it's easier.

Being our first motorcycle tour, on a rented bike, in another part of the world, I'll likely have many more questions, so thanks in advance!
    O
  2. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Romania is an awesome destination on two wheels.

Are you planning on doing a guided tour or just rent bikes?
  3. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    Your listing for tours is run by Maria Danescu on FB. Take a look at her page
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. jrgporsche

jrgporsche Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wife and I are using Adriatic Moto Tours for their Romania to Istanbul Adventure in September 2020. Watching this post for tips!

John
    R1100RT
    R1200R
    R1200GSA
  5. ODogs

ODogs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guided tour.
  6. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I have visited Romania on 2 wheels several times - both alone, with friends and my girlfriend.
    You really don't need a guide to have a great time. It's easy and safe to explore the country on your own.
    Finding good cheap accommodation is never a problem and especially in the rural areas people are very friendly and helpful.
    khpossum and glitch_oz like this.
  7. ODogs

ODogs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be sure to post a RR if/when we go. In the meantime, Happy Holidays to all.

O
    Davidprej likes this.
  8. Avispao

Avispao Hornet 900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I subscribe. I'm planning to rent a bike in Romania this summer.
  9. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We did the Best of Carpathians in July 2018. I can fully endorse and highly recommend it.

We're previously toured with Edelweiss and Hispania Tours.

There's less fluff with Romanian Motorcycle Tours, but you're gonna save a bunch of money compared with something like Edelweiss.

The Transfagarasan and Transalpina passes are worth the price of the tour.

My wife rides when we tour, we rent two bikes. She usually rents 700GS, I rent 1200GS. There was a mix-up on our tour and she ended up with a 310GS. This is my wife's opinion and an expert rider: don't rent a 310GS. It's a toy. Substandard brakes, suspension, and almost zero power at mountain elevations.

Maria is a great young businesswoman. Spend some time in Bucharest either before and/or after your tour. It's a very nice city.
  10. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm....both our Romanian-rented 310GS's did very well among the other four 650-800Gs's of our little travelling band.

No powerhouse for sure, but thought them totally adequate and capable beyond expectations for the 3-week/ 4000mi of Balkans- backcountry tour last year.
    Plenty of gravel/ dirt included.
    Decidedly no toy, just a different type of bike to be ridden in a different manner.

They even pulled the occasional short 2-up stint (incl. full luggage) like up the steep, loose and rutted Sveti Illya Chapel track on the Montenegro/ Croatian border ridge above the Bay of Kotor.
    That's 2x 6footers plus full luggage

[​IMG]

Theth National Park Loop, Albania

[​IMG]

Biokovo, Sveti Jure, Croatia

[​IMG]

Durmitor National Park, southern loop, Montenegro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and of course the Transalpina and Trasfagarasan etc in Romania which we also thought a must-ride (if around the area).
    Found them a little underwhelming to be honest, but certainly a worthwhile ride.

[​IMG]
    Massabusa and Davidprej like this.
  11. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I am with DonT. No tour guide required. Travel is easy, no help needed. Don't forget Bulgaria as possibly part of your trip.
  12. MrVvrroomm

Oddometer:
    Both of us have our opinions. We ride very aggressively. My wife was overwhelmingly underwhelmed by the little 310. Again, sub-standard brakes and suspension for her kind of riding.

I let her take my rented 1200GS over both passes just to feel the difference. She came back grinning ear-to-ear after her runs with the liquid-cooled boxer. She rides '16 R1200RS at home.

We spent a whole day going back and forth over the Transalpina. We found it suited our tastes perfectly.
  13. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    The old apples versus pears thing, aye?
    Expecting 1200cc/$20.000-performance from a 300cc/ $5000 bike?
    arrgh...:1drink

Back to the topic of guided Romania tours, I guess...
  14. MrVvrroomm

Oddometer:
    In my original post I stated she usually rents 700gs when we tour in Europe. The 700gs is adequate for her, she actually has fun on it. The 310 is a toy.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  15. Avispao

Avispao Hornet 900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When you rent a 700GS or similar, do they have the option of a lower seat? I'm not exactly tall.
  16. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are aware anyone can ride them without having to pay for the privilege?

Both on my "to do" list, but a long way out from the UK and I get distracted by all the other great stuff that is way closer (Alps, Dolomites, Pyrenees, Pico's, Vosges etc.) Really must start seriously planning it out and just get on with it.
  17. MrVvrroomm

Oddometer:
    yes
  18. Patd8335

Patd8335 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello there - I'm heading over in August this year -2020 (1200 gsa rider), am communicating with -in Bucharest. http://www.motorentals.ro/prices/
    I have chatted with Sergio via cell and he has emailed me with many tips and links to camping, hotels & maps on routes for riding. Great info. Thought I would add this info into the string here. If you are heading over in August I would be more than happy to arrange to meet over there and ride together. I'm flying into Dublin Ire first and then on from there via Ryan Air. PD from MA.
  19. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or wherever the Ryan Air plane actually ends up flying to, with those guys it is not an exact science, don't forget to upgrade to an inside seat - I don't mean middle row, just one withing the fuselage ;-)

Baggage is extra, I expect they also charge for each bollock as an extra, insist that you can carry these on otherwise you may end up in one destination and your gonads in another.
  20. Patd8335

Patd8335 n00b

Oddometer:
    Oh!