Romania 2020

Discussion in 'EMEA' started by ODogs, Dec 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MichaelJ

MichaelJ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rented one in Milano last summer - absolutely no issues and I have a 28" inseam. On a good day.

But then, I'm comfortable as long as I can get both feet to contact the ground at a stop - I don't need to be flat footed. My bikes are a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 and a BMW G310GS (as referenced above).

Oddly enough, the 310 is taller in the saddle than the TEx and has a wee bit less torque. But is a LOT easier to pick up when it decides to take a nap.
    Avispao likes this.
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ....not with a couple of broken ribs after a spill on the rough leg of the Theth loop/ Albania last time. There are tears...and then there are TEARS, argh.
    Saved the bike by making it fall on top of me though, not even a scratch! Thanks God it wasn't a Goldwing :lol3...and thanks God for foodwrap!!
  3. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Dropped a 1200GS just outside of Berchtesgaden in 2006 (car stopped short in front, I locked up the front, and Boom!). Broke 2 ribs. A few days later, I sneezed while doing about 100 (kph). Luckily, I was on a straight stretch of road as I was absolutely paralyzed for a few seconds. On a side note, I was absolutely gobsmacked at the bill (or, from my perspective, lack thereof) at the Berchtesgaden Krankenhaus.
  4. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Side note - if you think that a Goldwing is bad, try a fully loaded Tiger Explorer 1200.
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pass! The little GS was enough.
    As for the Krankenhaus bill...shows what's normal under a different system. [​IMG] You'd be just as surprised here in AUS, NZ, all of Europe incl. Scandinavia, Switzerland!!, Singapore etc
    Certainly found out why travel insurance is twice the price when it includes US as a destination after my 2hr US$1400 fly-by at Heber Valley Hospital, Utah...and that was 10 years ago. The ambulance ride was another 1600bux. One hell of an expensive afternoon...and no bloody dancing girls at those lousy discount rates either :-)

As for Romania...
  6. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    I have to get there. I have Romanian friends (ex-co workers) that highly recommend visiting the place.
  7. ClaudiaTransylvania

ClaudiaTransylvania BMW F650GS

Oddometer:
    Transylvania - a Paradise for Adventure Riders
    Romania is a great choice for a motorcycle tour.
    You can rent a motorbike either from Bucharest or directly in Transylvania. Plenty of english is spoken, especially in the majour cities, so you will do well with both guided tour or rental motorbike.

Attached Files:

8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Balkans on my bucket list to self tour and particularly interested in Romania as part of the trip. I have zero interest in guided tours, will rent and self tour for several weeks. My wife doesn't ride. I may rent a MC or a scooter as I ride scooters more past few years.
    I have this thread on a watch and open to a ride partner for a Balkans ride. I will only go when the high passes are open. Covid19 is a bit of a concern for time being...not that I'm a worrisome guy.
  9. Valentin

Valentin n00b

Oddometer:
    Romania is a really awesome destination for motorbiking. Compared to Germany, it's still legal to do some of the off-road tracks. People are friendly, accommodation and cost of living is not that high.

romanianmotorcycletours.com and Maria especially are really professional in what they do and have a good reputation for this.
    kantuckid likes this.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Romania really excites me too. The few Romanians I've met while traveling in Mexico were nice folks. One of our son's went there in the late 90's while studying in Budapest and his general impression was a sophisticated country with an obvious aspect of not being a fancy sort of place that's paved all their countryside as yet like USA what with too much development. Well known the Romania was held back by repressive governments for years in spite of a rich heritage in the people now coming out.

But, and it's a seriously large BUT!!! the worlds not conducive to travel now, so, meanwhile it's all talk talk.
    ADV Trip Planning has become an oxymoron:-)

FWIW, the USA has many thousands of miles of true dirt roads and even more thousands(maybe millions?) of gravel roads. The limiting factor here on dirt is either limited government access (the feds lock some gates on federal lands/roads here) or private, posted roads like my own.
    There are sold here, special county road atlases which show most all of them.
    Google tells me there are 1,375,000 miles of unpaved roads in the USA of the 4 million total road miles. Beware of mud season though! it will swallow you up.
  11. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    You've gotta have a plan. Can't deviate from it if you don't.
    Davidprej likes this.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean "only planning" , not travel for now, due to crown virus! Lots of planing much less going for now...:-)
    Planning is part of every trip I/we take and I enjoy that aspect and don't want to give it up to a tour company either. But I don't mind taking hints from their routes or lodging.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  13. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    :D
  14. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Always curious about that.
    To me those are the places and routes/ roads to give a wide berth to as they are nearly always the main tourist fare.
    MichaelJ likes this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's particularly useful for a country where you've never visited or even one that you have. In the end there are only so many places to go, roads to ride and the scenic spots are where they are. I am a lifelong hiker and outdoors person and often you'll see me saying here that to really see a place you must get off the bike and walk. Mother nature sure didn't put all the waterfalls, so on , right next to a road so you could stop and grab a a picture. I fully realize this is a MC forum but my point stands. How many times do we see the proverbial picture of the parking lot of a mtn pass and a MC pictured beside the elevation sign, we all know that answer. We could discuss to no end ideas like don't go to Teton NP cause the roads are not in the park, vs. where to go near the park or what other mtn ranges in WY are less touristy. I can tell you that less than a mile down a Teton NP foot trail it becomes far less touristy!
    In my own living area of KY we live in whats called the Red River Gorge Geologic Area which has a SP and a remote wooded area where they are often fetching people who are lost or ell off a cliff. It also gets a half million visitors a year and the amount of them I see is nary a one, other than on the very few highways leading into the area.
    If your talking dirt riding of course thats it's own subject and some MC tour companies cater to that crowd and I assume know where to go.
    I just read an article about a tour ride in Morocco in Rider magazine. Some of the main tourist stuff is the exact same places, unless you are looking for a goat herders path? I had already planned to stay at some of the same exact lodgings as the tour people use but w/o their timing or guide service, price structure, etc., plus my wife doesn't ride so we will rent a car. Same for N Spain, our routes were commonly ridden but not where many people go as for main stream tourisim but OTOH, there are only so many roads in a mtn area.
    I'm getting out my MC tour company CD while stuck at home to refresh my notion of where to go in NZ.
    Now we have the crown virus and no trip for us. When your my age, like any human the clock doesn't stop ticking so it's a big disappointment same as when I was a kid...:(
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm dreaming about all the places I want to go and have already exchanged emails with her last year. Right now I cannot even renew my DL or boat sticker.
  17. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's certainly the case when looking at commercial promo-material (brochures, online, websites, Youtube etc) of tourist sites and the relevant tour companies of all sorts.
    VERY limited....and all the same, as they all service the same market.
    Which is asking for the same product (as that's what the promo material showed over and over and where the Jones's have been).

Ask the average Aussie about California = Disneyland, Golden Gate, some Wharf and maybe the odd big Redwood, maybe... and bang, there's a week of full-on "compulsory" tourist stuff to put a tick in the California "been there, done that" box. Only question left: which operator to go with?
    Reload the credit card and repeat for any other place/ country/ region/ whatever.
    Arghhhh...

In the end it's good that way because it's predictable and easy enough to avoid...
    ...as there really is a myriad of other places, roads, tracks, scenic spots and POI's
    if one is inclined to dig deeper and spend some time and interest on reading up and following up.
    This forum is a gold-pit for info on many of the places and roads that no tour-operator would take a travel-group to , because it takes too long, costs too much, don't have insurance cover for, too risky for a big group...or the final service providers don't pay sufficient kickbacks.(yup, family members have been working as tour guides here in AUS for EU-based tour operators for 15+ years, that system is universal).

As for where to go in NZ...why not check out what the local Kiwis are doing, the places THEY go, their pics and yarns, their rides etc.
    After ~30 years and 40.000+mi of roaming the Shaky Isles (as a "tourist") I KNOW there is a mountain! of places and roads that no tour company even knows the existence of.... let alone promote, advertise or go to. The REAL NZ, not he MasterCard Tourist-Plastic.

https://advrider.com/f/forums/new-zealand.65/
  18. MichaelJ

Oddometer:
    Agree. But (for me, at least) "Hobbiton" would be a mandatory stop. I'd love to spend a couple of weeks in NZ.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Applies most places of course. Even in France, one of the most visited places on the planet certainly more independent travelers than anywhere else, there are roads to ride where you don't see anyone else for hours. If there is a painted lane marker, then you are on a main road.

Places where no one speaks anything but French? English is pretty much for tourist areas.
    Like Brits/all EU, at school, all French kids have to learn a modern foreign language* but are mostly too shy to even tryout in the real world.

*except the Dutch, who seem to learn dozens. And French kids tend to learn the language of the country nearest - so Italian or Spanish are popular. Dutch/Flemish not so much, along with German.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  20. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I intended to convey above, wasn't in my head as described by Glitchoz above?
    Disneylandesque sorts of places are not even in my vocabulary.:baldy
    Does a MC tour operator go there?

My total point (not arguing!) was that on pavement there are no really secret places where hobbits live. The tour operators have maps and GPS and typically live where they tour, at least the guides. I was talking groupy vs. non-groupy and their lodging choices vs. mine which I do on my schedule, meaning get ups, stopping, go do this or thats, etc..
    Scenery is where it is no matter whos talking other than what you like vs. the other person. My point there was that it is not always sitting beside any road.
    Tour people know the best routes, lodging that fits the types that they serve and charge you money to lead you to them and set up a schedule. Self-tours depart when you choose, so on.
    The NZ operator's who's seminar I attended is a lifelong resident who transitioned from a MC dealer to a tour operator. I suspect he & his wife know where things are found? :nod
    I fail to see a larger point here?
    Mine was that i travel cheap, on my schedule and choose my own routes and sort out whats there. An e.g. is in Ecuador where I'd simply choose to not do the Pacific coast area vs. time spent in mtns or Amazon. Some guided tours do the same thing and on a map you'll easily see there's not a hell of a lot of roads in the Amazon or mtn areas to choose from as they can be hard to build there.
    In my 21,000 miles of Mexico I've seen scads of dirt roads going off "somewhere" but I can assure you they are not fast nor do they have pump gas, so on. Is that where this thread is headed, off-road?