Romania: Who knew it would be this amazing?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by eatpasta, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    Ok - sorry for the delay. My job has gotten to be crraaaaaazy.

I work for a global property management company with 44 offices. They have recently given me a couple very high level clients that require a lot of babysitting and personal attention.

it's all fantastically boring stuff but I take it seriously as it pays my mortgage and takes care of my family so I'm on top of things....but it takes a whole lot of time and I'm never, not on call.

Anyways - back to beautiful, amazing, romantic, scenic Romania.

I may post a couple duplicates here in the last post or two - dont get upset...I cant remember it all

The second half of day two were really cool.

everywhere we were on the Transalpina highway there were people waving to us, taking pictures - it was a really cool experience.

Mihai took us to the top of this other peak

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While heading up to the top of this hill we ran into these lovely people from Scotland. We hung out for about half an hour just chatting - travel magic. I gave the lady my card and told her to reach out to me because I got some cool pictures of them! Unfortunately havent heard anything yet

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

back down the hill

[​IMG]

after this short escapade, we unfortunately needed to head back to Cluj....

[​IMG]
  2. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    drumdog, B10Dave, flying.moto and 6 others like this.
  3. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I had all the feels at 3.30am heading to the airport to go home.

That sweet smell of humidity in the air before dawn reminds me of Kentucky or North Carolina....it felt like being in the USA but absolutely not.

The people are so nice, the food is good...the drinks are cheap.

Romania is my second favorite country to travel to after Italy....what a tornado of a week.

My last glimpse of Romania, on the tarmac

[​IMG]
  4. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    ..................and lastly, for the record, the Munich airport knows what's up with breakfast....

[​IMG]

thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it!
  5. ringokelly

ringokelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, words don't even begin to say how awesome that looks. When you are on the downhill side of life it makes these trips important to take....I hope it do. Glad you were able to go and thank you for sharing your trip!
  6. stokerel

stokerel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report, it was brilliant! I'm glad you loved my home country, it certainly doesn't disappoint when it comes to nature, food, wild tracks, etc.
    What you've seen is basically some of Transylvania - it is one of the best places and you had a great guide. So many other things to see, like fortified churches built in the Middle Ages, old fortified cities, etc. But that's why you should return :)
    You mentioned some people told you to avoid other parts of the country - don't :)

To the east of the Carpathian mountain arch you've got the province of Moldavia (not the country of Moldavia but the Romanian province, long story here) which has some stunning medieval monasteries, not fortified in the same way as the churches in Transylvania but beautifully painted. Food also changes a little and you get different local flavors. When you go south east from there, you get to Dobrogea and the Black Sea - another stunning place with a mountain range much older than the Carpathians but eroded and lower. The Danube Delta is there where you can switch the bike for a small boat and have a great time.
    The south - the old Wallachia province is indeed flat(ter) so from a riding perspective there's not much you can do however the south west is also great, where the Danube river is actually the border line with the neighboring Serbia. This is another great place for riding/hiking.
    spokester and Honda-50 like this.
  7. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Nice report!! I loved the little time I spent in Romania. Your story and picture brought back fond memories.
  8. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Get movin!! there's no time like the present

thanks for the advice! The next time I am there, I will do my best to explore further

it was only a few days for me but it certainly made a very distinct impression...
    spokester likes this.
  9. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    Nice report.

I just returned from Romania this weekend.
    5 days enduro riding in the area around Sibui Romania.
    It was an amazing experience.
    I shot over 800 pics/videos of the trip.

Here's a few...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some super steep hills!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super steep grassy hill climb... I gave it a shot and made it.
    [​IMG]

A view from the top
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spokester, flying.moto, FLHTK and 3 others like this.
  10. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the brilliant RR Eatpasta!
  11. V1ROT8

V1ROT8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Kinda late to the game here, but I thoroughly enjoyed your report. For starters, I loved how excited you were to see a place that, at one point in your life, never even knew existed and if you knew, you paid little attention to it. The second reason I loved is that more and more westerners get to visit my birth country. I was actually born in Romania and lived there until 1993, when my parents moved us to Canada.

I've been back regularly; to my hometown of Alba Iulia, about 90 km South of Cluj Napoca. We actually fly into Cluj airport regularly with Lufthansa / Air Dolomiti. (The plane you actually flew on. I recognize the winglet)

The third reason I loved your report is because I got to see some things that I haven't even had the chance to. I'm fairly new to riding motorcycles, going on my 3rd season. I haven't been back to Romania since I got my license, but a trip this summer is in order to Cluj / Alba Iulia. I'm attending my brother in law's wedding (he lives in Cluj and works in IT) and I'm def. taking a few days to do what you just did.

I've driven on Transalpina, but by car. Even so it's stunning. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to go by motorcycle. Do you mind sending me a private message with the contact of the place you rented your bike from? I would be more than happy to do that.

Thanks for the pics and the great narrative.

By the way, take the advice of the other Romanian guy here and go see Alba-Iulia (that's my advice), then Sibiu, Brasov, Sinaia, Transfagarasan. Transilvania is beautiful and in my opinion it's one of the best places in the world to do adventure motorcycling. It's pristine, great scenery, great food, great people and affordable prices. You can't go wrong; unless a stray dog bites you... but even then, Romania has decent doctors.

As far as women go... Yeah, Romania does well in that category. ;) I should know, I married one.

It's funny how the world works. You visit my home country on a bike tour and I visit yours. (I just did a 10,300 km ride from Canada to Los Angeles... and back) Check it out on this forum. I did a trip report)

Last but not least, here are a few pictures of Alba Iulia, a town very close to Cluj. I highly recommend going there, even for a daytrip.

Cheers from Kingston, ON. Canada

Vio (your virtual Romanian fan)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    spokester likes this.
  12. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lol3

that made me laugh!

and yes I will forward Mihai's contact info to you

This is why we travel, right? To find places we may never have ever heard of before and to go explore and meet new people.....Wanderlust
  13. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    This is AWESOME!

:clap

thanks for sharing!!
  14. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Romania has always held a special fascination for me. The mountains, the mist, Vlad, all of it. In the village or out in the country it has a timelessness to it.

Thanks for taking me along.
  15. Aviatordoc

Aviatordoc BMW R1200 GSA LC and S1000XR rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey eatpasta, what a story and pics! Loved every word and pixel of it.
  16. dirty_t

dirty_t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Nah, as I found out - Miahi in Romania is like John over here. He told me that he is the official guide for Tourteach - not sure about that but he is always posting pics of him and his groups all over Europe.

Pretty cool job but I'm not sure that i could do that for a living...

and thank you! Thanks for reading!

I hope you have an amazing trip!!

:thumb