Roof Top Tent. RTT

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Maggot12, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Who owns one... experience.

I always thought they were gimmicky, without ever seeing one. Why would I want to climb on the roof of my truck to sleep?

Well I went to an outdoor show yesterday and a local dealer had a few setup. Cooler than fuck and ranged from 2300 (Canadian) to 2900.

They also had a 270° awning for 600.

I'm really fighting now with not purchasing both...

20191109_171853.jpg 20191109_172547.jpg 20191109_172600.jpg
    katbeanz likes this.
  2. Toytec

Toytec Let's ride

Oddometer:
    I am considering one also. Off the ground and away from animals while you sleep is optimal to me. I do worry about the clearance issue some areas but otherwise think it would be awesome
    So how do I mount this on my bike?:rofljk
    Maggot12 likes this.
  3. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dealing with the same concerns. Very cool, but not sure I like the idea of 'forgetting' I'm 6 ft off the ground. I've never had any concerns sleeping on the ground, but when we camp, we tend to set up in one spot, then do day trips. Not sure how I'd feel after 3-4 days of packing and unpacking the RTT. Starting to think that having a small utility trailer or jeep trailer to tow, with an RTT on it, would be a better way to go. I really like the off-road teardrops, except being labeled 'off-road' makes them pretty darn $$. Love having a built-in outdoor kitchen though. The one thing that keeps bringing me back to going that route.

I did buy a 270' awning, and have been very happy with it. Good coverage, sets up quickly and goes anywhere the truck goes. Highly recommended.

G
    katbeanz and Maggot12 like this.
  4. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Did you mount the awning on a cap?
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don’t really see the point but I might be missing something. A buddy has one and have used a tent the few times I have camped with him. It takes him much longer to deploy and pack the RTT. I have asked him and he has no reasoning behind the RTT other than it is what he now has. There might be some merit behind the fear of animals but if they were motivated, climbing up on the hood of a truck is not really much of a deterrent.
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  6. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I believe that, for the right type of camper(s), they cannot be beat. If I am taking someone with me, which means that I am not solo on my bike, I wouldn't take any other set up.

Where they shine:
    • Coupled with a capable 4x4, you can go, and camp just about anywhere your heart desires. I like that my vehicle can go just about anywhere, and that puts me far away from everybody else. Plus, those hard to get to places are the best places to camp.
    • I don't care that the camp spot is: rocky, wet, sloped, or anything else. Or if it is going to rain. It's ALL good.
    • You can pop it up in a traditional camp ground just as easily, assuming that you'd actually want to do something that crazy.
    • It is a great deal less work setting up camp and tearing it down. About 10 up and 12 down with 1 helper.
    • If you have a sweetie, the whole system makes for a much more relaxing intimate night and morning wood.
    • You are not worried about dragging a trailer or riding a bus wondering if you can get into this location or that.
    All that said, it is still a spartan type setup, like car camping. You still need your cooking, cooling, and bathroom situations worked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ranchworld, FAW3, AwDang and 2 others like this.
  7. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Used one for about 10 years on the top of my LandCruiser. Got to the point I wanted the bed set up and an inside kitchen.
    Was not taking the Cruiser off road enough either.
    Driving a Roadtrek now. Park, eat and sleep.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    We bought one to use on our honeymoon ( went from anchorage AK down west coast, over to gulf coast all the way to key west, up the east coast to New Brunswick then back across Canada to anchorage) and have used it extensively since then (married 16 years).

my wife thought spending $2k for a tent was crazy until the first night we used it. No complaints since - lots of fun.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    They're great until you have to get up in the middle of the night to take a leak. We use a 'pee jug' and toss it out the window when done. Just make sure you toss it out the right window.:D

[​IMG]

:1drink
    Maggot12 likes this.
  10. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    Also look at the hardtop clamshell designs. If it is just you or 1 other, they are great. Lower profile than the soft and easier and faster up/down by alot. However, they are alot smaller.
  11. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buddy has camped in his many nights and was well practiced at setting his RRT up. I had my 2 person tent, with 2 air mattresses inflated and 2 sleeping bags setup, in about half the time it took my buddy and his brother to deploy his roof top tent. Neither of us were trying to go quickly, just setting up at the end of the day and cleaning up in the morning.

Am I missing something, but doesn’t the truck need a somewhat level spot to park?
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  12. FolsomTony

FolsomTony Fat Tony

Oddometer:
    There are many different types, some are just a couple of minutes for the setup, and same for takedown. Others are more, especially if you start with the extra rooms, etc.

For 1 or 2 people, a hardshell seems like it would be great. One of my friends has a soft tent, Tepui, mounted on a military trailer. Last time we went on an overnight, it took him less than 10 minutes and was set. Tent only. Just him and his wife, and their medium sized dog.

I sleep in the back of my vehicle. Unroll my sleeping bag, and done.
  13. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    I had a Tepui tent mounted on a trailer, I loved it! even spent the night in it during a rainstorm and was dry as a can be and slept like a baby!
  14. pvangel

pvangel Team AARP

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    redkerk84 and Maggot12 like this.
  15. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    It depends on the truck. All we need is rocks and we are good. Take a close look at the tires in the first photo. You can see where we just grabbed what was lying close and drove up on them.
  16. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question: (ignorant of these roof-top tents) what supports the half of the "tent floor" that is cantilevered out over open space?? (is that portion on rollers or ?? that rolls out and supported by the frame that incases the roller assembly??)
  17. gweaver

gweaver NorCal is Best Cal! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I have a TracRac cargo installed on my truck. Awning is mounted to that, on the passenger side. Nice thing is that the rack is very sturdy, and since the awning mounts off to the side, there's still room to fit two kayaks up there. Which is another strike against the RTT- loss of kayak space on the rack.

G
    Maggot12 likes this.
  18. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    Good question and the most frequent one that I get. I only know about my Smittybuilt (which is probably the oldest design and very likely, the cheapest at sub $1k) and is similar to the Tepui.

The Smitty uses the internal structure that holds up the roof to support the floor. I'm no engineer but it seems to function similar to a cantilever, and is very strong. The ladder in my tent gives some additional support, but not much. The floor in this tent is a honeycomb aluminum design (~1 inch thick), covered in vinyl. The tent deploys by simply reaching up from the side of the vehicle and pulling down on the ladder. Poof. The foam mattress stays inside along with your sheet, blankets, and pillows. No time wasted rolling up sleeping bags and chunking them inside the vehicle. You can also leave your phone up there, which won't happen twice if it is your daughter's (we don't reopen for stupid phones).
    Maggot12 likes this.
  19. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question on roof racks. Racks for jeeps are at best rated for about 300lbs. The weight of the tent plus 2 adults will exceed that amount. Even though the gross tent weight is dispersed across the area of the tent base, how will this still not exceed the rack designed weight limit? Am I missing some thing here?

Thanks
  20. DittyBag

Oddometer:
    IDK about Jeeps in particular. I do know that most stock racks, including the rack on my FJ are completely incompatible with a RTT. So, if your vehicle is capable of handling the weight (the FJ does it easily), then you will have to get an aftermarket rack. That's roughly $1k.