Roof Top Tent. RTT

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by Maggot12, Nov 10, 2019.

1. j8tg

j8tg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8022.JPG
  2. j8tg

j8tg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forgot to add text. They do not fold up as quickly as a ground tent but set up seems easier. We sleep much better on the foam pad vs an air mattress or cot. Being above ground is great---nighttime relief isn't much different than a tent as it's a quick up and down on the ladder. Great ventilation with openings on all 4 sides. We purchased the Tepui Low Pro which is about 5 plus inches lower when packed up so clearence is still an issue but not as much as an issue. Tent material is heavier and we have stayed pretty comfortable on some very cold 30 degree Colorado high country camps. The biggest negative is once we are deployed we aren't leaving until we are done in that location. Mountain bikes give us some mobility however. The 270 degree awning is a big adder for sun or rain. Bottom line is we wouldn't go back to a ground tent and we have never wanted a trailer as we disperse camp and it would be a pain in the ass in some remote locations.
    Maggot12 and pvangel like this.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That's awesome. May I ask what tarp that is.
  4. j8tg

j8tg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_8021.JPG It's a Foxwing. We also use these ramps for leveling which really work well in the mountains.
    katbeanz and Maggot12 like this.
  5. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

The weights given for roof racks are for when the vehicle is moving (dynamic) vs at a stand still (static), typically. The weak point in a factory rack is the cross bars. The side rails will support a roof top tent with the right cross bar set up, even factory bars on most vehicles. I have seen roof top tents mounted on just about any vehicle in North America, and quiet a bit were using the factory side rails with either Yakima or Thule cross bars. I have even seen them mounted on factory cross bars, albeit they usually have a 3rd bar added for additional support.
  6. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:

Yes. You're missing that there are racks with internal or external frames, that are good to at least 800 lbs.

I have a Rhino Rack backbone system, which lets me take the roof rack off easily, and is pretty much invisible when I do.
    katbeanz likes this.
  7. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a RTT thread over in Shiny Things, though I haven't seen it in a while.

I still have the Smittybilt RTT I got for a song, and it's been going strong coming up on two years now. Zero issues. I bought it thinking I'd see how I liked RTTs before spending a few thousand on one of the brands with more adventure cred. It's been in high winds, rain, bright sun, and I honestly haven't had a reason to even consider switching to another. I check them out at events, and I haven't seen anything on another that made me regret the $650 delivered I spent on mine.

I did upgrade the ladder on mine. It was pretty cheesy, and I replaced it with one of the Tepui telescoping units. I've met a ton of people with other tents that have done the same thing. I think Tepui sells more ladders than anything else.
    katbeanz likes this.
  8. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I've had a Maggiolina for 15 years. Opens like a pop-up (cranks straight up to form a box), the top of the RTT is the tent roof, heavy fabric sides. I've slept in it in all weathers. Only night I regretted was once in TX when there was a LOT of heavy thunderstorms and high wind. I stayed dry, but was worried about tornadoes in the dark.

You can't take it off and on your car easily. I have a hand winch/pulley system to attach/remove from the roof and hang it from the garage ceiling. If you want to be a poser, you can leave them on your truck all the time. Rather than using rocks, I bought a set of plastic leveling blocks to level my truck-it only takes a minute. I prefer a slight rise on the head end.

I have 'overlanded' with friends and done a few multi-day TSD rallies with it on my Tacoma. Most folks seem to use the Tepui/Smittybilt book-opening style (maybe they are cheaper/roomier??). Advantage to the Maggiolina: faster setup/takedown (3-5 minutes and done), always waterproof, highly resistant to wind/weather, light weight. Advantage to the Tepui: double the floorspace, more headroom, cost.

Pros for me:
    -Always a flat, level, readymade bed, that is warm (or cool) and dry.
    -With two bodies inside, it stays pretty warm, compared to a silnylon tent.
    -I don't have to pack a tent, pads, sleeping bags, etc, in the truck somewhere.
    -I don't worry about animals, but I have slept in truck stops, rest areas, once streetside in Telluride, and I feel a bit safer from bandits.
    -Fast setup/takedown. Unless you sleep in your truck bed, nothing is faster. You can even use a cordless drill to raise/lower the tent.

Cons for me:
    -On multiday trips, if you want to drive somewhere, and the tent is on the car, you have to take it down to travel.
    -Increased profile costs me about 1-2mpg.
    -If you have to potty in the night, exercise care up and down the ladder. Using a jar/cup/bottle is a bad mess waiting to happen, plus who wants to wake up to someone else peeing right next to you?
    pvangel and Maggot12 like this.
  9. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I dont know what is going on with those guys who take longer to set up their rooftop tent than someone setting up a ground unit but I have yet to camp with anyone who is set up faster than I am. I have the Poler brand tent (a re-branded yakima). I keep a sleeping bag and pillows in it and can have it set up and ready to sleep in about 5 minutes.

They are gimmicky, no doubt about it, but I love mine. Roomie, 3" thick memory foam mattress is super comfy and I have been in downpours and remained dry. Sucks to set up and pack up in the rain but so does everything else. I take it off in the winter so I can put a yakima box on top for my skis as my days of winter camping are behind me.

IMG_3245.JPG
    elcabong, pvangel and Maggot12 like this.
  10. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    D01548D9-3A2F-4F2F-A685-9BDEA90AB8F1.jpeg 1095563C-E955-4637-ACD6-0C4514471BFE.jpeg F0B1CC6B-400A-4BC0-925E-BF763CF1F724.jpeg Love my Tepui!
    katbeanz and pvangel like this.
  11. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180421_171901 - Copy.jpg
    Snapper33 and katbeanz like this.
  12. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Spagthorpe, that’s exactly the rig I’m planning to build. Just perfect! I have the Jeep, need the RTT.
  13. DittyBag

DittyBag A bag of dirty stuff

Oddometer:
    I found this yesterday and thought it interesting.

Baroquenride, GoatKiller and FAW3 like this.