RORR Dualsport Pics

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Seventy-two hearty souls signed up for the RORR Dualsport today. My throat is pretty sore from helping out with signup. I wish it wasn't as hectic in the morning so I could have chatted with more ADVRiders who came out for a good time.

MUD. It was pretty wet out there today. That water, when combined with Pine Grove dirt, makes for very slippery riding. My condolences to those who came wearing Tourances or similar off road unfriendly tires. I was riding with a buddy on a KLR who had a Trailwing front and was very suprised how well he did, in fact, it was a challenge keeping up with him at times. I hope that you guys at least got to ride the road heavy second loop and enjoyed lunch.

Anyway, less talk, more ride!

Coffee and donuts, oh boy!!!
    [​IMG]

Here's CAT0020 with a picture of his girlfriend. Dude, we need to do some double dating!
    [​IMG]

These guys rode down from NYC, true ADVRiders!!
    [​IMG]

Yes, the BMW 1200GS.
    [​IMG]

More strange dualsport folks.
    [​IMG]

MARRY THAT GIRL!! SWM ISO SWF who likes to unload my bike at dualsports...
    [​IMG]

Here's a bunch of trail pictures. I wish I could have stopped more and taken more shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I crashed trying to get to the top of this hill, so I'd be damned if I wasn't taking a picture at the top.

[​IMG]

We caught up with Mack and his buddy on a KLX400. The KLX guy busted up his clutch and had to bail early. I hope we showed Mack a good time.

[​IMG]

Dualsport traffic jam.

[​IMG]

The first time we went by this hill, everyone was egging me on to go up. I had a real bad experience on this very same hill some years ago, so I passed up the opportunity. However, passing by it again on the way back, the coal dirt was calling my name. I went up just to the right of where Teflon Dave is pictured here on his way back down. I came, I saw, I conquered!

[​IMG]

The NYC boys packing up for the trip home. They said they couldn't wait until next year!!
    [​IMG]
  2. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride. Thanks for sharing the pics.

:thumb
  3. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pics, TZ. I rode up on Saturday afternoon with my DR650 and saw it was a "bit" muddy in places. Posted that warning on the Upcoming Events thread late last night.

Looks like that new DS area worked out well.

Terry
  4. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    What a great event.. even though I consider myself lucky to have survived.. or watched others survived.

MattGS and I carpooled to get to Echo Valley Campground. It was cold, overcast.. we were not sure what to wear for the ride..

[​IMG]

We thought of riding among ADVRider friends would be safety in numbers.. MattGS, Walter, Ballpeen and DocGonzo..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stop and go traffic on the trail.. I get to get off from my bike and take some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned out to be a muddy section that wipped out a few large GS..

[​IMG]

Rider from Israel survived no problem:

[​IMG]

Doc does it in style with lightweight KTM

[​IMG]

Another traffice jam spot at the foot of a 7ft. steep climb.

[​IMG]
  5. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Crowds soon gather to ponder who's going up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Half a mile or so later later.. where GS riders came to realize their bikes are heavy as SH1T:

[​IMG]

My bike gets stuck a few feet after the short steep climb.. got it stuck exiting a gully, no sidestand needed to hold up the bike..

[​IMG]

On the pavement back to the campground.. it was cold.. I couldn't hold the camera too well..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    MattGS and I decided to go out on our own and skip the 60 mile pavement section and back to the trails..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Yours truely..

[​IMG]
  8. ballpeen

ballpeen _______________

Oddometer:
  9. tribeless

tribeless _________________________

Oddometer:
  10. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    Good stuff guys. Sorry I couldn't stick around a little longer and BS with everyone. Had some work come in earlier that morning and it screwed my whole day. My mind wasn't on riding. Moto and I ended up with over 100 miles so that wasn't a bad thing.
  11. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's definitely nice dirt riding up that way, thanks for the pics, glad you guys had a good time.

Do you all ride the whole thing or did you do the morning loop twice.

Nick
  12. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    I think most did the morning loop once, ate too much for lunch, and limped home. Or, at least, that's what I did.

Did anyone out there get to ride the afternoon loop?? I know some of the riders returned to the campground early because they were having problems with the muddy conditions.
  13. magrest

magrest Guest

Very nice ride! I hope you guys had TONS of fun :thumb
    You manchened a ADVrider from Israel... Is he traveling around with his bike? I'm curious since I want to go there with mine. Any info I can get from you?
  14. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Theo and I did the morning loop twice. As we weren't really interested in 60 miles in the chilly rain.

It seems everyone had a great time, even the big GS's that were told this was a good ride for them.
    However, Terry did say sign this waiver :deal in case you don't return :)

I'm happy however I sold the GS adventure and brought the KTM.

Matt
  15. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Notwithstanding the fact that the intermittent wet conditions made it not quite "perfect for big dually adventurers" as claimed, it was still a good time. I can see where it would have been hugely entertaing in the dry; but just would be a little too slow with too much anticipated picking up on the tires Mick and I had. No fault of the organizers- we each had other bikes we could have taken, but were seduced by all the good riding to/at/from and decided to ride there.

My ride was an '05 Tiger I picked up from Triumph last week when I was in Georgia on "day job" business.
    [​IMG]

I'd put over 10k miles on an '03 tiger, so mostly knew what to expect. As you can see, non-knobbies. Though the Michelin Anakees are really excellent on pavement and pretty good on hardpack/rocks, they're not exactly made for mud.

This is NJ HQ for the event for Mick, Doc, and I.
    [​IMG]

With the three of us, it turned out to be only a couple bucks more expensive than camping. And almost worth it :lol3 Mick took some shots of the deluxe accomodation that you can check out in his post. On the plus side, the heater and the cable TV worked.

Everyone smiles at the start...
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

Mick checking out some muddy stuff. This was just after a neat rocky downhill section. Disctretion is starting to get on top of valor about this time...
    [​IMG]

Mick renders a verdict, which I respect. If he thinks it's too much work on the KLR, I think it's too much work on the Tiger. Or maybe it was the thought of helping me pick up my bike so often that influenced his opinion :rofl

[​IMG]

We'd already gone through a section that was much worse than this (where the GS's first went down) without mishap, but the thought of a lot more of this just took the allure out of continuing this way.

So we turned around and went back up the rock hill and headed up some more hills as far as we could.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After doing some more hilly (and not muddy!) sections we hearded out to Rt. 125. We reached this closed gate and Mick started clearing out a section on one end so we could go around it. Then all of a sudden he gets an inspired look on his face and tries to open the gate- which it does. As he subsequently said "I was once told to always start with the simplist solution"
    [​IMG]

As an aside- you can see the "good" traction surface, which was merely very slippery. When just a little deeper, traction (with street tires) started off as "none" and just got worse. Oh, how Mick was pining for the rat :nod

After this, we ran up and down the roller coaster called Rt. 125 (Shomokin and back) and then headed back to the campground for lunch. The GS's wore their dirt proudly
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and their riders enjoyed a well earned lunch
    [​IMG]

After lunch we headed home, mostly the same way we came out- lots and lots of twisties and only about 30-45 minutes of Rt. 78.

Great time- can't wait until a knobbied next year! :nod
  16. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    This was one of the easier sections on mud. There were also some treacherous hill, valley, climbs, and a section of road that went for miles, with endless mud and water holes from two feet deep to 4 feet deep. Unfortunately, because of the muddy water, it was hard to tell where the 4 foot deep holes filled with water were, until you started letting out bubbles from your nose! Don't ask me how I know!

Also, the ride was right near a toxic bio dump area where you could get lost for hours or days. Don't ask me how I know!

I was VERY glad I didn't pay attention to Walter when he called my home the day before to tell me I should leave the KTM home. It's always nice when you pick the right tools for a difficult job!
  17. rendersjr

rendersjr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm new to this forum. Not2fast Terry put me on to it.

I rode the second loop on my DR650. It wasn't too rainy, only a little heavy mist, but it did get a little chilly. Just enough to make the roads wet where the trees didn't cover them. It was mostly all back roads and a nice ride. Obviously would have been nicer with better weather. I really felt for the guys on the GS's in all that mud. My DR was about the limit of a big bike I would have wanted to ride in that stuff. I've ridden with some guys on those bikes on other rides, and they never cease to amaze me how they handle those beasts. Great pics guys. I forgot my camera, but with all the mud, I'm almost glad I did...especially after I got roosted by a 2 stroke KTM that just had to wait for a huge...deep...black puddle to blast by me!!

Bob E
    Marysville, Pa
  18. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Hey Walter, great pictures!!! I was hoping that you would take a bunch and, as always, they're great!!
  19. RookieDRZRider66

RookieDRZRider66 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

This was my first real off-road ride and I had a blast (even with an almost-bald Trail Wing front tire)! I had the great fortune of grouping up with Matt (KTM?), Mike (KTM), Gary (DRZ400), and another gentleman who's name I can't remember (DRZ400) ..... if you guys read this forum, you'll know who I am (Woody on a blue and white DRZ400). I can't thank you enough for all of your advice, coaching, help and patience. I learned a lot and now I'm hooked. Thanks again and thanks to RORR for putting on a great event. See ya next year ... if not sooner!
  20. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:

Where was this? Looks fun, id like to go there. Is it in PA? :freaky