Rose Pass, B.C.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by R.J., Oct 21, 2006.

1. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    On the map there is a road / trail called Rose Pass that goes from Crawford Bay, B.C. to Kimberley, B.C. Has anyone travelled this route? It winds through the mountains and looks really interesting. DH and I would like to try it out next summer, but we were wondering how far it is and what the road conditions are like. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    I've done it 3 times. It's more fun going from Crawford Bay to Kimberley if possible. It takes about 20 min to climb 1200 m lots of switchbacks to the 2100 m peak. Rougher on the east slope. Here are some pics:

The route.....one of my favorites.
    [​IMG]

The way up.
    [​IMG]

2100 m
    [​IMG]

Looking back on the way down
    [​IMG]
  3. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    Thanks Stand Up! Now I'll have to go look at my map. I recall seeing Grey Creek Pass on the map as well, but I thought Rose pass was also named separately. This sounds / looks like a great ride! We keep a "home base" at Tie Lake, just out of Cranbrook during the summer and ride from there. Last year we did the Kootenay Lake loop and had a great time, but this year I'm looking forward to riding a little more "off the beaten path". Can you suggest any other great rides in that area?
  4. Mike Ryder

Mike Ryder Kriegerkuh Supporter

Oddometer:
    I heard there is a cabin up near the summit, StandUp do you know anything about it? I think it is on the S. side of the road before the top traveling East.
    Great road, greater mosquitos.
  5. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    I just put 300 km on in that area today! What an awesome day to be living in the kootenays. I took the wife with me and we stopped at Ainsworth Hotsprings for a dip. With the fall colors it is just spectacular here right now. I meant to do that ride from Crawford Bay to Kimberley but never got it done.
  6. chucker

chucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I met up with a fellow dual sporter last month on the ferry, and he said Rose Pass is very overgrown right now, very easy to get lost. If you do go, take a GPS for sure. And those pictures from Standup are from the Gray Creek/Redding Creek FSR, Rose Pass is further north. Awesome area to ride. Check out Lemon Creek FSR and ride Idaho Peak out of Sandon, sweet roads.
  7. tonic_water

tonic_water Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I drove Rose Pass last weekend from Crawford Bay to Kimberley, but in a 4Runner, not on a bike. That will be a project for the future sometime. I thought that I would post some information on the road condition for those who might like to ride it.
    The road out of Crawford Bay is like Gray Creek Pass for the first 12 km or so. After crossing Crawford Creek it is posted as a deactivated road and there are a lot of cross ditches. The Rose Pass turnoff is 16 km out of Crawford Bay. From this point it is 15 km to the St Mary River on the east side The top is just above 1900m elevation. The 19 km stretch from the crossing of Crawford Creek to the St Mary River is the only challenging part, and can best be described as a single lane cart track. The rest of the road could be considered a pleasant ride just a little worse than Gray Creek Pass. The feeling is more remote and removed from civilization; however.
    As mentioned by Chucker, the road is very overgrown on both sides, particularly at lower elevations. This comment only applies to the 15 km section over the pass. The east side is worse. Bushes meet in the middle of the road and produce a tunnel like effect. Higher up, it is more open and very steep, I would guess at perhaps a 30% grade on either side. The higher up one gets, the more rocky the road gets. As is the case for Gray Creek Pass, there are more hairpins on the west side.
    The only other challenging bit was the crossing of Lapointe Creek which runs about 6 feet below the road surface with about 45 degree approach (see correction below) and departure angles where the road crosses.
    The bridge across the St Mary River was removed a number of years ago and the river must now be forded. Although the water can be high at some times during the year, it was about 14" deep last week.
    From the ford it is about 50 km to Kimberley.
    I haven't yet figured out how to attach pictures like Stand Up did earlier in this thread, so maybe someone can advise me and you can see what the road is like.
    I heard that it was bear country, but all I saw were about a dozen deer, two racoons and assorted smaller wildlife.
    Added Sept. 2: 45 degrees seemed a bit large to me in retrospect; therefore, I did a bit of trig using the length of the vehicle from the rear axle back, the height of the bumper above the ground, and the fact that the bumper hit the creek bottom on the way out. From this, the angle calculates out to be about 30 - 35 degrees, depending on how far below the surface of the water the bottom is (o" - 4").
    asutherland likes this.
  8. GSPD750

GSPD750 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting this. Good info indeed. :thumb

9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    TonicWater, you can attach a single picture to a post by going to the
    bottom, and clicking on "add attachments".

If you are running windows XP, and you need to make the pic smaller(less than 145k)go here,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

and download the image resizer. It lets you right click on any picture and resize it.

Otherwise, you'll have to write a line of code to link to a picture, like this:

[​IMG]

Which give you this:(i intentionally left a space in the first line so it wouldn't work)

[​IMG]

The other option is to open a smugmug account , if you think you'll be
    on here a lot, which supports the site, and gives you unlimited space and bandwidth to share pictures.

Hope that helps...

Ron
  10. Surlyguy

Surlyguy Guest

Thanks for the update. I'll be heading there on friday leaving calgary thursday.
    I'll take some pics of my bike floating away ;)
  11. tonic_water

tonic_water Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I now have a smugmug account.
    https://tonic-water.smugmug.com
    There are about a dozen pictures posted at present. Also a Google Earth image with my GPS track superimposed.
  12. R.J.

R.J. split personality

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics tonic_water!!:clap:clap
  13. Surlyguy

Surlyguy Guest

[​IMG]

I can't believe you actually got over this pass in a 4x4!! You must really hate your paint.
    The 2 or 3 kilometers of totally overgrown willows was nasty. I fell over in there and knocked my chain off and bent my sub frame. In my defense it wasn't like I could see! I was using my head as a battering ram.

The picture above doesnt do this section justice. My camping gear was keeping the front light enough that I wheelied through this. Ruined a good pair of shorts. Imagine an idiot pin-balling between the two limits cursing a streak and contemplating jettisoning gear and you'll get the picture.

Doing this alone seriously crossed the line from brave into stupid...
    But the best stories....

Crappy pics to follow. Too busy trying to get to civilization and margaritas.
  14. tonic_water

tonic_water Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It cost me an antenna and a running board. Also, a lot of labour will be required operating the rotary buffer.
    Remember that I did not know what I was in for. I had read a trip report from two people who had driven over the pass in 2003, with a Toyota pickup and a 4Runner. Also, in 2003, the road had been cleared somewhat for a "Raid the North" mountain bike race.
    By the time I got to the overgrown section on the east side, it was already dark. I had got hung up for 4 hours at the rock, and had to build a ramp on both sides so that I could drive over it, since there was no room to get by. At that time, my only thought was to get off the mountain as soon as possible. Paint thoughts had moved to last place. As it was, I drove the last 6 km from the rock to the river ford in the dark. I was only thankful that I was still moving.
    I did wonder several times if I might have to (a) spend the night up there, (b) have an accident and have to walk out. Particularly at Lapointe Creek, where the road takes a sharp left turn as it comes out of the creek. But the fears that assail you when you are there fade as time passes, and you are left with a good story, that improves with age.
    As for stupid, you are not the first person to have mentioned that. And I would agree with you. Sometimes impulsiveness leads to suspension of good judgment. On the other hand, I have driven over Rose Pass, something I have thought about for 6 years. Rose Pass was my Everest.
    ItÂ’s so bad that when we sat down and analyzed the trip, my brother in law came up with a better way to deal with the rock, and we discussed going back and trying it.
    All the other roads in that area that I last drove in 2005 were more overgrown than in previous years; and in future years, unless someone does some clearing, I think that Rose Pass may fade from the travel itinerary.
  15. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    To revive an old thread, Chad M and I did the Rose pass, and there is no way it can be done in a 4 x 4. The picture Surlyguy took is indicative of a good section, but it is sooo overgrown now, it was very hard to get through on our 640's. We didn't even stop for any pictures, as the alders had so overgrown the trail, that you could have bumped into a bear without even knowning it. Pure punishment! I have the GPS track if anyone wants it, but I will never ride it again, and wouldn't recommend it.
  16. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Brian, I've been in contact with a guy over on the DualSportBC site that says we likely took the alternate quad route. There is / was a Jeep trail that we didn't find. The original road doesn't sound like it got the same elevation as the quad route we took. Needlesstosay, it's only because of the quad guys that we were able to find any track through there.

C.
  17. Floe

Floe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So... you want to take me up there this weekend is what you're saying?
  18. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    We said it was like riding through a thick hedge for 30 k's. I'm really surprised one of us didn't rip a bunch of bits off the bikes, but they actually made it through. Good story, but, no, you go and tell me what you think. Fill yer boots.
  19. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, I would love to do the actual road, not the hedgerow! That's what Sherman Tanks are for!
  20. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    A group of us just got back from doing Rose Pass on Sept 12th. The river is quite low right now (easy crossing) but the bushes on the trail are something else. I found that standing up almost allowed me to see over the bushes but then you had to kind of guess which way the trail went. Ended up constantly going from sitting to standing and back to sitting... wears a guy out pretty fast.

But... it was so much fun that I'm heading back there this weekend to do it again with another group of riders.

Here's a few pics from the ride:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]