Rose Pass, B.C.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by R.J., Oct 21, 2006.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I'm not normally a fan of helmet camera stuff but well done :clap
  2. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I did it last week, my Stupid Enduro and him on a KLR both loaded with camping gear and beer it wasn't too bad. The river on the east end could be a handful in high water so plan accordingly. Do a tick check when your done too, I'm not shitting you guys I killed and flicked at least 50 of the fuckers off me and my gear at the first stop.
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great video polish surfer. Really adds to the video when the camera gets relocated for a different angle/point of view.

Have you read the whole thread? You were just getting to the "good" parts when you turned around. Late fall is the best time for this one, the water is low making the crossings possible (LaFrance/St. Marys)

A few of us in Nelson have Rose Pass on the to-do list. Will post when we cross it off the list. We're thinking Rose over, Gray back.
  4. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take Rose both ways, I was totally dissapointed with Grey Creek. The scenery was fine but no better than 100 other roads down there and I've never ridden so many consecutive miles of shit washboard it was endless, deep, and tooth rattling for most of the length. Unless it gets graded I won't bother again, it was the first time I wished I was on the highway!! lol
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of the likely crew I'm the only one who has done Gray Creek. None of us will have been over Rose. Hall Mtn is worth the detour as well. Depending on what things look like we would probably come over the powerline rather than sticking to the FSR.
  6. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:

Grey Creek Powerline has a bridge washout a km or two up from the west side..

Depending on run-off it is probably passable now. Wasn't this spring when we did it unless you wanted to risk having your bike go down the stream between rocks...
  7. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool I didn't know about the powerline option, added to next years list!
  8. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    The washout was fine in August, but I'm sure in spring the creek crossing would be nasty with the high & fast water.
  9. Polish Surfer

Polish Surfer n00b

Oddometer:
    Like Deadly99 said, I'm not a fan of the GoPro headache either, I didn't intend to use any of the footage for too much. Only after I gave up on going to the pass I though I should get some other angles. Next time I need some off bike footage.
    What is the good part like? Solo on KLR was getting hard to handle and getting hard on the head too. I pinned my leg under my panier after going off the road into the weeds. That's when I called it quits.
    What is the east side of the pass like? Similar in terms of vegetation? Does anyone advise against solo riding? The creek crossing on the east side, how deep is the water (on average, say august or sept.)
  10. triplenickel

triplenickel Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did it east to west and it seemed like it would be easier in terms of the climb but the veg was worse on the east end at least 5 or 6kms of tunnel and corduroy from trimming. Some of it's pretty low and grown in but no big deal. The water wasn't more than a foot deep just the standard slimy baby heads to deal with I would do it solo.
  11. slabm7

slabm7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone been over Rose pass lately? We are going to Kimberley in a couple weeks and would like an alternative ride back from going over Gray Creek pass.
  12. Mudflinger77

Mudflinger77 n00b

Oddometer:
    I too,would like to know if anyone has been up to Rose Pass this year.
    Some friends and I really need to know if it's passable(on quads) from Crawford Bay,up to Rose Pass,not on the Grey Creek way though.We're trying to plan a ride up there,for personal,family reasons.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. :beer
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since alder bashing is easier on four wheels than on two, although still no fun, do a recon for us. :D
  14. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i second that motion started by 250enuf.....
  15. slabm7

slabm7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So we went over Rose Pass on Sept 20th, it was open and actually a decent ride. We rode it from west to east. The ride up the west side is actually a nice ride until you get about a mile from the top. And then it gets a little steep and technical, nothing to bad though. Coming down the east side wasn't bad except for the grown in alders made it a real pain, sometimes I had my chin on the handlebars just to see where I was going, it was like going through a tunnel. It would be a pain to have to go uphill through those. We had to ford the river right at the end of the east side which was quite easy, probable about 50 ft length of 6 inches of flowing water.

It would be doable on quads, I wouldn't recommend going down the west side on a quad. Could be tricky going down those grades with loose rock. Let me know if anyone has any questions.
  16. 4ttrialsguy

4ttrialsguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the pass possible on a Big Bike 990 size??
  17. slabm7

slabm7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With a competent rider it would be, climbing the west side would be the biggest challenge. We all rode 650 thumpers over with no issues.
  18. Voltsmith

Voltsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    4ttrialsguy, OK, I have the GPX file loaded now. All ready for our trip next summer :D

:ricky
  19. Gottahaver

Gottahaver n00b

Oddometer:
    Did this pass on August long weekend in our 4x4...completely insane without any protection or knowledge of area. We lost the trail just before the pass and camped it over nite in a cleared log deck. First thing in the morning we found our trail and continued on over to Crawford bay. We cleared the trail from rose pass to Crawford bay for all size vehicles. The alders near st.marys river in were extremely over grown and I think a group of us are gonna go back in this fall and open it up.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  20. Gottahaver

Gottahaver n00b

Oddometer:
    uploadfromtaptalk1439390678062.png

Bridge looks considerably weather from the last photo of it taken. Still very drivable

uploadfromtaptalk1439390737840.jpg

Camping spot just before the test hnical hill climbs. There were 2 forest fires burning on either side of us as well

uploadfromtaptalk1439390804324.jpg

The alders from St.Marys side

uploadfromtaptalk1439390825025.jpg

Trail clearing and clean up on the Crawford Bay side

uploadfromtaptalk1439390849938.jpg

Lots of tree falls from high winds and minimal trail mentenance

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk